Is this normal?? Cycling...

DuvalTilWeDie904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I began cycling my new tank on Sunday around 12 or so. Today I decided to go to Petsmart to have my water tested and the guy stated my Nitrites were high, but my Nitrates were super high. He also stated my ammonia was good. Is it possible that the tank is cycling that fast?? I used live sand and bio spira bacteria. I also dosed the tank with ammonia.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I began cycling my new tank on Sunday around 12 or so. Today I decided to go to Petsmart to have my water tested and the guy stated my Nitrites were high, but my Nitrates were super high. He also stated my ammonia was good. Is it possible that the tank is cycling that fast?? I used live sand and bio spira bacteria. I also dosed the tank with ammonia.
It is fast, but it all adds up. The nitrates are probably not that high as the nitrites interfere with the nitrate test. A pic of the tank would be nice :)

swallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429

I would begin by asking what test kit they tested with but this is 2022 …. Test kits to confirm cycles is 1990’s way of reefing
If using test kits is the 90s way of confirming your tank is ready for fish - what is the updated method? Not being crass but generally curious.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using test kits is the 90s way of confirming your tank is ready for fish - what is the updated method? Not being crass but generally curious.

Lol test kits are the right way. People just give API and other test kits crap because they haven't used them enough to know what 0 looks like on the test kits.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Brandon used to make stuff up all the time, he has some disciples on here still. You should still ensure ammonia has been processed, less so nitrite as in itself nitrite is not toxic in saltwater, as it is in freshwater. However to get anywhere near an accurate nitrate reading, the nitrite must be undetectable.

OP
OP
D

DuvalTilWeDie904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fast, but it all adds up. The nitrates are probably not that high as the nitrites interfere with the nitrate test. A pic of the tank would be nice

Attachments

• 20220417_214858.jpg
    20220417_214858.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 55

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots and lots of lovely surface area. My only concern is that heater. I assume you’ve got no sump? External temperature controller? Skimmer?

OP
OP
D

DuvalTilWeDie904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots and lots of lovely surface area. My only concern is that heater. I assume you’ve got no sump? External temperature controller? Skimmer?
No sump and no skimmer just yet. I figured I couldnt use the skimmer while cycling, but will eventually get one. So far, the heater has kept the tank at 79 or so. I may add another one in the future. Im definitely trying to go that inexpensive route lol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump and no skimmer just yet. I figured I couldnt use the skimmer while cycling, but will eventually get one. So far, the heater has kept the tank at 79 or so. I may add another one in the future. Im definitely trying to go that inexpensive route lol

You might want to look at hang on back refugiums too. Aquamaxx even makes a hang on back algae scrubber

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Brandon used to make stuff up all the time, he has some disciples on here still. You should still ensure ammonia has been processed, less so nitrite as in itself nitrite is not toxic in saltwater, as it is in freshwater. However to get anywhere near an accurate nitrate reading, the nitrite must be undetectable.
And exactly why I tagged Brandon .
I have always tested each stage of a cycle to watch it progress from one stage to the next .

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you got for circulation? you’ll need to keep oxygen levels up.

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the bacteria you are trying to colonize is aerobic, meaning it consumes oxygen. If you have a skimmer, even if it is not actively collecting, and a bit more water movement, you will feed those bacteria.

OP
OP
D

DuvalTilWeDie904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the bacteria you are trying to colonize is aerobic, meaning it consumes oxygen. If you have a skimmer, even if it is not actively collecting, and a bit more water movement, you will feed those bacteria.
I currently have a 1250 GPH pump in the aquarium. Will that suffice?

OP
OP
D

DuvalTilWeDie904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, can anyone assist with a question concerning lighting. Like i said before, Im trying to go the inexpensive route and want the cheapest light I can grow soft or easy corals with. I can possibly upgrade further down the line.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your budget? Not sure we ever got your tank size/dimensions either.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back