Is this normal DI resin depletion?

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to hooking up my new spectra pure 90 gpd Rodi unit this weekend.
After following all instructions to the 't' and installing my aquatec booster pump I set it to run overnight to fill my 50g reservoir.
Next morning in my opinion the DI resin looks like it is 3/4 depleted. Am I being paranoid or is this how it normally looks after just 50 gallons?
IMG_20160911_122824.jpg

I tested each stage to make sure everything is OK and it turns out its fine. Below are my results
Source water tds 260
0 chlorine after the carbon block
8 ppm after ro membrane
Psi 65
0 ppm after di resin.

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caveat; I don't know a lot about ro/di units but I think something maybe wrong. I have TDS of about 220 going in to unit and di resin lasts me about 2,000 gallons. Going into DI tds is 2-4

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're getting 0ppm out, the DI is still working. That color change stuff isn't a great way to judge.

For me, I deplete DI resin quickly because of high CO2 levels in my water. I'm on a well though. Are you on a well or city water?

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're getting 0ppm out, the DI is still working. That color change stuff isn't a great way to judge.

For me, I deplete DI resin quickly because of high CO2 levels in my water. I'm on a well though. Are you on a well or city water?
Well for me. BUT it used to last a long time. Not like now for some reason.

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm on city water. Yeah I figured that I will need to keep testing to know when the resin is really depleted.
how do you test for CO2 ?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for me. BUT it used to last a long time. Not like now for some reason.
What's the TDS coming out of your RO membrane?

I'm on city water. Yeah I figured that I will need to keep testing to know when the resin is really depleted.
how do you test for CO2 ?
Spectrapure sells a test kit. What's the pH of the water coming out of the tap?

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the resin brand new or has it been sitting around a long time? There's also the possibility of a bad batch from BRS. I'd get in touch with them and see what they have to say about it.

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the resin brand new or has it been sitting around a long time? There's also the possibility of a bad batch from BRS. I'd get in touch with them and see what they have to say about it.

I'm guessing its new, I ordered the unit and had it about 2 weeks in the original packaging before installation.
Its a Spectrapure unit (not BRS), ordered directly from their site.
I'll test my Ph this afternoon to have all the numbers before I contact them. The only thing I cant test is right now is CO2 unless there is another way to test it other than using their test kit.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing its new, I ordered the unit and had it about 2 weeks in the original packaging before installation.
Its a Spectrapure unit (not BRS), ordered directly from their site.
I'll test my Ph this afternoon to have all the numbers before I contact them. The only thing I cant test is right now is CO2 unless there is another way to test it other than using their test kit.
That's why I asked about pH. If the pH is low, you can test if it is excess CO2 causing the problem pretty easily.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure layers their DI resins in their MaxCap and SilicaBuster cartridges unlike any other vendor. It can be deceiving and look like the color is changing. Ignore the colors and always use your handheld TDS meter for accurate readings and condition.

The Rook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's easier to actually see how long it's lasting by the TDS reading than the coloring from what I'm gathering.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Squadir Do have chloramines from you source water. If so, it will cause your DI resin to deplete prematurely. Catalytic Carbon before resin will fix this. I had that issue and this carbon type fixed it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back