Is this normal? My first clownfish.

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish is swimming around a bit differently today. He basically is different every day in regards to where he decides to camp out, but this looks a little strange to me, I don't know what he's doing.

Is he okay? Is he just being weird?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be scratching. Was he quarantined? Any spots on him? How old is the tank.

Shelley

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are weird. If you don't see any obviuous abnormalities and it's eating, it's probably just a clown being a clown.

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's seems fine today, after research I found that sometimes female clowns do this to mark territory for where they will lay their eggs, she's the only clown in the tank but she's maybe (she's?) just doing it instinctively. Still no spots, scratches or discoloration today.
92262db8f59afe69db5727ed75d173bd.jpg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to hear you are keeping an eye on the clown. My female does something like that, but she lays her eggs up on the live rock. And I do have a male with her. They have been with me for 5 plus years. And I have never noticed her scratching her head into the rocks. Which yours appeared to be doing. May I suggest possible picking up some meds for emergencies? And look up clown fish spawning to have something to compare with? Hopefully the clown is eating normally.

Good luck,
Shelley

OP
OP
averytanky

averytanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to hear you are keeping an eye on the clown. My female does something like that, but she lays her eggs up on the live rock. And I do have a male with her. They have been with me for 5 plus years. And I have never noticed her scratching her head into the rocks. Which yours appeared to be doing. May I suggest possible picking up some meds for emergencies? And look up clown fish spawning to have something to compare with? Hopefully the clown is eating normally.

Good luck,
Shelley

Thank you, she/he seems fine today, she just stays in the area of that one rock and that's it. No scratching today. And she eats fine. What medication should I get?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef medication recommendation, a post by reeftilldie asks just that question. Humble fish put some links up that would be helpful in that regard. My kindle will not allow me to post them for you. But you should be able to find it with the above information. Good luck and happy reefing!

Shelley

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first video your clown appears to be aiming for its gills when scratching, it could be weird clown behavior but that's also a symptom of gill flukes. To be on the safe side I would recommend you perform a freshwater dip, this will confirm/rule out flukes. I would also recommend you get a stock of some basic yet life saving meds because unfortunately with how bad wholesalers are nowadays you will need those meds eventually, hopefully not. Here's a link to show you how to do the freshwater dip with a video https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/
If flukes are confirmed I would recommend prazipro as it is safe to treat in the DT. It's 2 doses 5-7 days apart. Here's a thread on flukes https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/flukes-–-general-guidelines.224423/
And here's one with a list of meds, on post 2 is a recommendation for the best ones to keep on hand.
Also keep in mind that ich typically attacks the gills first so you may not see it right away, especially on a fish such as a clown that has a thick slime coat. Ich can also be brought in on a hard surface that it encysted upon, such as a coral or invert exoskeleton.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back