Is this normal?

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

My clownfish Wally has been acting up weird lately. He suddenly lays down on the sand in a corner of the tank and kinda rests there for a little bit and then he just starts swimming again. He doesn't seem to be in distress. His skin and body look fine as well.
He does this randomly during the day or at night.
He is eating very well (mysis shrimp and brine shrimp).

His only tank mate, a Goby, is also eating and seems to be doing very well. I have also some hermit crabs that are working all day long and look fine.

could you please check the video and tell me what you guys think about this behavior?
Is he sick? Or is this normal?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tank parameters at the time of the video are:

10G
Salinity 1.026 - 35
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 to 20
Temp within 78-79
I have a Tidal 55 filter with extra biomedia in there and chemi-pure blue. Also have a Hydor koralia nano 565 gph.

Attachments

• IMG_1197.MOV
    72.6 MB

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm completely new this is actually my first response ever so take it for what it's worth, however I do have 15 years of freshwater fish experience using the Walstad method very successfully. As for your Clownfish my guess is going to be that your return or wavemaker is really strong for him and it looks like he's trying to swim against that current, especially when he's first trying to move it looks like it's just blast him up against that corner, and it's just really tiring him out. How long have you had this setup with him in it?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm completely new this is actually my first response ever so take it for what it's worth, however I do have 15 years of freshwater fish experience using the Walstad method very successfully. As for your Clownfish my guess is going to be that your return or wavemaker is really strong for him and it looks like he's trying to swim against that current, especially when he's first trying to move it looks like it's just blast him up against that corner, and it's just really tiring him out. How long have you had this setup with him in it?
I haven’t kept clownfish before, but generally, marine fish are much stronger swimmers than their freshwater counterparts, so I doubt flow is the issue.
@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thank you for your two cents.
I have had this set up since the beginning, Wally came to live with us on July 30th. And this is a new behavior.
However, since you mentioned it, I observed him closely thinking about the current and he really is not struggling against it. He actually likes to swim against the current and then he lets go, and he does this many times throughout the day. Also he has many places where he could be protected from the current and he never goes to those spots.
Thank you for commenting and trying to help me!

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my experience i have had them lie completely on the side before and I thought he was dead, but when i put in some food he just pick himself up right and rush toward the food, clownfish are weird sometime, i would keep my eyes on him though, they do weird stuff sometime but he does seem to breath heavily in the video, i would keep my eye on him some more.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

My clownfish Wally has been acting up weird lately. He suddenly lays down on the sand in a corner of the tank and kinda rests there for a little bit and then he just starts swimming again. He doesn't seem to be in distress. His skin and body look fine as well.

His only tank mate, a Goby, is also eating and seems to be doing very well. I have also some hermit crabs that are working all day long and look fine.

could you please check the video and tell me what you guys think about this behavior?

10G
Salinity 1.026 - 35
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 to 20
Temp within 78-79
I have a Tidal 55 filter with extra biomedia in there and chemi-pure blue. Also have a Hydor koralia nano 565 gph.

It looks to me to be catching its breath - it is breathing a bit fast. That it is eating well rules out a few diseases. Does the tank have good aeration (not just circulation)? Are there bubbles actually breaking the water's surface? What is the water temperature?

Jay

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me to be catching its breath - it is breathing a bit fast. That it is eating well rules out a few diseases. Does the tank have good aeration (not just circulation)? Are there bubbles actually breaking the water's surface? What is the water temperature?

Jay
I have a HOB Tidal 55 filter running at medium speed and a Koralia Hydor nano 565 that is pointing up to move the surface. There are some bubbles that break the water and the surface has good movement.
The temperature of the tank fluctuates between 77.7 minimum to 79 maximum, but usually it is 78-78.4. I have a temp controller.

Someone above commented that he could be tired from the current, could this be the reason?

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB Tidal 55 filter running at medium speed and a Koralia Hydor nano 565 that is pointing up to move the surface. There are some bubbles that break the water and the surface has good movement.
The temperature of the tank fluctuates between 77.7 minimum to 79 maximum, but usually it is 78-78.4. I have a temp controller.

Someone above commented that he could be tired from the current, could this be the reason?

Ja
@Jay Hemdal I am attaching a video of Wally this morning as well as the tank set up for you to check if there are enough bubbles or if the current is too strong for him.
He keeps going to the corner to lay down randomly. He also ate well this morning.
I am sure the water is good. I even bought an Hanna ammonia tester to make sure that my reading was good. All the other parameters as I wrote yesterday.
The goby is doing good too, he ate breakfast and is hanging out under his rock as per the usual.
Thank you for your help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all!

10G
Salinity 1.026 - 35
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 to 20
Temp within 78-79
There may be heavy water movement causing it to + struggle swim" but fish also seems lethargic. Salt range 1.024-1.025
What test kits are you using as there are a bit of zeros Vs. its behavior.
Is its poop normal or white and stringy looking ?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like it does not have enough oxygen in the water - ensure you have ample surface agitation, if you're feeling crazy go out to wal mart buy the $10 air pump and hook that up, see if it helps.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be heavy water movement causing it to + struggle swim" but fish also seems lethargic. Salt range 1.024-1.025
What test kits are you using as there are a bit of zeros Vs. its behavior.
Is its poop normal or white and stringy looking ?
Salinity is 1.026. And it fluctuates between 1.025-1.026 consistently.
The water parameters are also consistent with pH always being 8. (I have tested the pH with the sticks for human urine and the result is the same)
The nitrites have always been zero.
The nitrates have fluctuated lately and went up to 40, but after I stopped using pellets they have come down to 10and have been like that for at least 10 days now.

poop is normal I guess cause I have never seen it being stuck to his body

I have the Api marine salt water master test kit and a Hanna ammonia tester. I have also brought my water to my LFS and they tested it for me as well with same results.

As for the lethargic part, when he lays on the sand he is pretty still but he picks up and swims all over the tank, specially he swims around the heater which is the spot he chose when he first came on July 30th.

I hope this helps you understand more about what is going on with Wally.
Thank you for trying to help us!

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like it does not have enough oxygen in the water - ensure you have ample surface agitation, if you're feeling crazy go out to wal mart buy the $10 air pump and hook that up, see if it helps.
I have an air pump already (I am crazy! And will do anything to help Wally)
I find it really hard to believe there is not enough water agitation. This is the same set up since the beginning and this behavior is recent (probably 3 days ago).
But I will hook the air pump and see if that helps.
Thank you!
(attached a little clip of the surface)

Attachments

• 68616274845__C7335B4E-5ABE-40F6-82B8-F8DBEFAAFD98.MOV
    1.4 MB
OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE
I hooked the air pump up. Wally started swimming all over the place but I don't know if it is because he is freaking out or because he actually needed more oxygen.
Since I plugged the air pump he has tried to lay down only once and only for a couple of seconds. Otherwise swimming around.
His body is covered with bubbles now.
Attached a little video with the air pump.
Thank you guys for trying to help us!
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 @ilikefish69

Attachments

• IMG_1205.MOV
    69.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It
UPDATE
I hooked the air pump up. Wally started swimming all over the place but I don't know if it is because he is freaking out or because he actually needed more oxygen.
Since I plugged the air pump he has tried to lay down only once and only for a couple of seconds. Otherwise swimming around.
likely provide more O2 and broke up the current within tank. Great to hear

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE
This is so very wonderful to hear, my guess is it was a lack of oxygen. Do not feel bad - I have a waterfall like overflow that makes soooo many bubbles and 2 airstones in my sump, and it still is just barely enough oxygenation. If you do not like the air bubbles, you can put them in a rear chamber if tank is AIO or somewhere that is not directly in the tank, but I am happy for Wally. He is adorable fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

You can turn the air pump down a bit. Also, try to fin a spot in the tank where the bubbles won't get pushed around by a powerhead, that will help with the small bubbles.

Jay

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can turn the air pump down a bit. Also, try to fin a spot in the tank where the bubbles won't get pushed around by a powerhead, that will help with the small bubbles.

Jay
Well... my air pump is a cheap one and doesn't have a way to change the setting. I could get a better one if you have a recommendation for air pumps.
I will try to position it in a better location then.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so very wonderful to hear, my guess is it was a lack of oxygen. Do not feel bad - I have a waterfall like overflow that makes soooo many bubbles and 2 airstones in my sump, and it still is just barely enough oxygenation. If you do not like the air bubbles, you can put them in a rear chamber if tank is AIO or somewhere that is not directly in the tank, but I am happy for Wally. He is adorable fish
Well... my tank is a cheap tank that the first LFS sold us, so it has no rear chamber or a sump or anything... (Every time something like this happens I get more and more upset at them for giving us such bad recommendations when we got our first set up ever)
So the air pump will have to remain in there for now.
I am thinking about getting a bigger tank already with a sump tank on the lower level, but I need some time to get my budget ready...

Wally seems to be liking the extra bubbles. He ate his lunch like a champ (and so did Mr Goby).
He is swimming around like a happy fish, but he still goes to the corner a lingers there, but so far only one time he lay on the sand like before and it was only for a few seconds... so hopefully the extra bubbles fix the problem!

thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observe where she sleeps, if she sleeps there she might be hosting that area.

I just moved tanks, have reduced lighting which I guess confused them (your lights are not too strong either) and a pair hosts a filter intake laying on the sand and they chill/lay on the sand right next to it like when they are sleeping even at daytime a LOT.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back