Is this product good for Cyano?

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up on sale. I have some of what I think is cyano or red slime, hoping to get rid of it. Anyone familiar with this product? Any tips?

A29AD5F9-DCE9-4009-A85B-2F6FC935B795.jpeg C636D5F4-00F2-4696-A93B-079B757E44DC.jpeg 3D8BDE6D-610F-4042-9176-10CB4C8FC6D8.jpeg

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use as directions read and it should knock the cyano out. If you’re running a skimmer take the collection cup off but continue running it to oxygenate the water. The skimmer will foam like crazy so just let it run over into your sump.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used it a few days ago during a second treatment. First time, I shorted the recommended amount due to being unsure with a new product. Currently monitoring tank for any ill affects, but so far so good. Here are a few things I did or noticed following a couple days since being introduced:

• Skimmer goes crazy
  • Cyano seems to be going away, but verdict is still out
  • I did put some air stones in my DTs to be safe
  • Read several reviews of people only implementing treatment during the day to reduce significant pH impacts. I did the same
  • Just completed my weekly testing. My pH seemed down a bit at 7.8, but normally 8.0. Can't say for certain this was from the treatment, so I don't take that seriously and could be coincidental
  • No live stock loss that I know of (Fish, Inverts, and Corals)
Read some of this product's reviews and there seems to be few folks that did loose livestock, but minimally.

If anything negative happens here on out, I'll be sure to post and update. Hope that helps. Best of luck ;)

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked for me a few times. I deliberately under dosed about 25% and sill had perfect results.
I haven’t seen any ill effects

OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use as directions read and it should knock the cyano out. If you’re running a skimmer take the collection cup off but continue running it to oxygenate the water. The skimmer will foam like crazy so just let it run over into your sump.
I don’t have a skimmer or sump

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a skimmer or sump
It will definitely help to aim your return line nozzle up so it creates agitation at the surface to help with oxygenation. Use an air pump if you have one as well like @attiland suggested.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used it once, works great but lost some colors in my SPS. Took about a week or so get my colors back

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my goto for cyano, idk what's in it but it works. Use as directed and as someone else mentioned pull the cup from your skimmer. I don't add an airstone as mentioned, just use skimmer for aeration.

OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used some extra air during treatment? The only thing I can think off is low oxygen levels

sorry for your loss
I added an airstone and still have it going now for oxygen. No skimmer was going

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my goto for cyano, idk what's in it but it works. Use as directed and as someone else mentioned pull the cup from your skimmer. I don't add an airstone as mentioned, just use skimmer for aeration.
I don’t have skimmer Heineken the advance of air stone.
I added an airstone and still have it going now for oxygen. No skimmer was going
Add carbon if not already added just to pull the rest of the antibiotics.
next time dose less than the recommended just to be safe.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back