Is this really RR angry birds

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That looks like the Asia version. The USA version shouldn’t have pink.
Oh, that’s a bummer... I only wanted the USA version. I bought it from a well known vendor who clearly marked it as the USA version :confused:

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that’s a bummer... I only wanted the USA version. I bought it from a well known vendor who clearly marked it as the USA version :confused:
Everyone wants the USA version but it’s hard to find. Aquasd was selling RR angry birds and people just assumed it was the USA version. Another known seller on r2r was selling RRUSA angry birds but it also had pink. I messaged him and asked where he got it and we found his seller never sold the USA version and only the Asia.

People assume when they get an angry birds it’s all the same, it’s not.

Should be blue like these pics.
D848A6D2-53FB-4DCC-A429-7F1C95F8978E.jpeg
898F25B0-17FC-425D-ACAD-E45B4D2E45CE.jpeg
E64D5DE6-5217-4856-9877-629685D554FB.jpeg

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you guys for telling me. I have contacted the vendor to see why they mislabeled the piece, but it’s still a nice coral!

Som1else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the interest of full disclosure, I am the one who supplied these frags to Aquasd. I bought this angry bird from another reefer on R2R , and later as i was getting ready to sell it I contacted him to ask which version it was, at that time he let me know that it was the RRU version, and to further trace the lineage the coral came from this site: https://jokercorals.com/products/rr-angry-bird?_pos=1&_sid=1cc159b7a&_ss=r Looking at the site they dont specifically list it as the USA version but that it was also somehow also traceable to cornbred. This was a quite awhile ago so i am going from memory somewhat. This is as much info as i have on it and want to be upfront about it, I certainly didn't have any reason to question the veracity of its lineage at the time and I don't want aquasd to be dragged through the mud for mislabeling something on their site.

Here is a picture of my colony as best as i can show it since i have it under 400W 20K lights and cant blue it up any more than this.

Attachments

• IMG_9789.jpg
    IMG_9789.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 150

Som1else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, I emailed JC today and they confirmed that they were selling the RRU version. Gernader also contacted them separately and they added that they had originally sourced the coral from CB. Through some more digging I found out CB had sourced it from TSA corals.
Thinking about it further, I hadn't actually tracked the lineage before i first sold some frags and originally I simply labeled them as RR Angry Bird. However at some point someone inquired on the origin of my colony and more specifically whether or not it was a USA or Asia version which is what prompted me to tracked down the corals origin earlier. So that's the lineage in a nutshell.
Who wants a frag?, lol.

flyfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm 100% convinced RRU Angry Bird can slightly morph when changing systems and carry those traits onward. That morph could start when cut, during shipping or after acclimation in a new tank. Other corals do this, why wouldn't RRU Angry Bird? I think maturity of the colony has some effect also.

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just an update, I emailed JC today and they confirmed that they were selling the RRU version. Gernader also contacted them separately and they added that they had originally sourced the coral from CB. Through some more digging I found out CB had sourced it from TSA corals.
Thinking about it further, I hadn't actually tracked the lineage before i first sold some frags and originally I simply labeled them as RR Angry Bird. However at some point someone inquired on the origin of my colony and more specifically whether or not it was a USA or Asia version which is what prompted me to tracked down the corals origin earlier. So that's the lineage in a nutshell.
Who wants a frag?, lol.
So, @AquaSD and @Som1else have been talking to me and we ended up verifying the lineage on my frag. It came from TSA to CB to Joker Corals to someone on R2R to @Som1else who supplied his to AquaSD. It turns out I have the legit RRU Angry Birds. It’s just that I happen to have a color morph on mine. I just wanted to say that I certainly didn’t mean to ruin anyone’s reputation; I was just concerned that I might have a different coral. Overall, I’m very happy with the customer service from the owner, Will, at AquaSD and of course, @Som1else worked hard to find out the lineage on my frag! Thank you guys so much for helping me out! :)

Last edited:

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m giving it another try since all my other acros seem to be doing fine now. I believe my problem was actually bad salinity calibration solution, I was probably around 1.022, which also led to low trace elements, iodine, etc. I think a faulty $7 solution cost me a ridiculous amount of money in new frags dying. Time to move forward.

Lineage is RRU to me. He said it’s cut from the original colony. It’s a little pale and not a whole lot of color yet, I just got it a couple days ago.

Odd thing is that the side you see shows PE but the back side doesn’t. I figured that the PE side was facing the light and it was a horizontal branch cut from the mother colony. However, the side with the PE is also pale and lacking colors. The other side with no PE that I originally assumed was facing away from the light, has the blueish skin and thicker looking skin. I don’t think I’ve seen that before, maybe a LED thing.

58AFBCD5-2812-405F-A62A-507B5EB00859.jpeg 428620AD-7341-4EA8-A9D4-255B209C4D4A.jpeg

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here’s what my RRU Angry Birds looks like now. Starting to look like RRU more than before!

977DBBC1-CD02-4504-BC98-1B2F4B155417.jpeg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m giving it another try since all my other acros seem to be doing fine now. I believe my problem was actually bad salinity calibration solution, I was probably around 1.022, which also led to low trace elements, iodine, etc. I think a faulty $7 solution cost me a ridiculous amount of money in new frags dying. Time to move forward.

Lineage is RRU to me. He said it’s cut from the original colony. It’s a little pale and not a whole lot of color yet, I just got it a couple days ago.

Odd thing is that the side you see shows PE but the back side doesn’t. I figured that the PE side was facing the light and it was a horizontal branch cut from the mother colony. However, the side with the PE is also pale and lacking colors. The other side with no PE that I originally assumed was facing away from the light, has the blueish skin and thicker looking skin. I don’t think I’ve seen that before, maybe a LED thing.

58AFBCD5-2812-405F-A62A-507B5EB00859.jpeg 428620AD-7341-4EA8-A9D4-255B209C4D4A.jpeg
I would question it if it came from anybody else but that’s what they look like from rru..... which is terrible. I hope it works out better for you this time around.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question it if it came from anybody else but that’s what they look like from rru..... which is terrible. I hope it works out better for you this time around.
Thanks. Yeah, if this doesn't work out, I must force myself to stop buying direct from there. I could have already purchased a couple from TSA fully colored up by now.
@kaifish got his direct from rru and before I made the purchase again, I asked how his was doing and he said its doing good now. @kaifish I think somewhere you also mentioned yours having red polyps right away from day-1, is that right?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, if this doesn't work out, I must force myself to stop buying direct from there. I could have already purchased a couple from TSA fully colored up by now.
@kaifish got his direct from rru and before I made the purchase again, I asked how his was doing and he said its doing good now. @kaifish I think somewhere you also mentioned yours having red polyps right away from day-1, is that right?
A Happy rru angry bird should have red/orangish polyps

Purkey Pets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

A tip on salinity-

Ditch the refractometer and get Tropic Marin's High Precision hydrometer. So much more accurate when used properly compared to refractometer. No calibration fluid....just need water temperature @ 77F.

Also, find a way to measure your water and weigh your salt. This will give consistent results. I have not had to adjust my salt mix since doing this. Specific gravity 1.0259 to 1.0261 every time I check, usually right on 1.0260.

Edit: here is the scale on the hydrometer
1607638352313.png

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two RRC Angry Birds direct from ARC. They look very different. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 50203B32-3575-4A6C-AB2B-9ADBB4540125.png
    50203B32-3575-4A6C-AB2B-9ADBB4540125.png
    883.1 KB · Views: 89

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back