ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In post 8 in this thread.

Not saying you saying need tear down tank if a coral gets bjd.just saying what my concerns are if this is bjd what my torch has and if even tore down tank and sterilised,would it even get rid of whatever caused the bjd in first place and like I said above,even if buy a new coral that perfectly healthy but then all that's needed is a hermit or a fish to nip at coral then starts declining and bjd sets in.or something so small like this happenning .
Sorry if sounded like I said you meant if got bjd then need tear down tank and reset as in no way shape or form did I mean that .

And what I reading before buying torches and the few hours I spent today researching how it looks and what happens,seems like no one really knows the true causes or how to fix the problem at a high success rate unless I missed something which could quite easily have done lol.
Think I read somewhere that 80- 100% mortality rate from bjd I think if memory servese correctly and taricha while you here just a thankyou from me to you on all the tests and experiments you have done as read quite a bit of your threads on a few things and very informative so thanks alot.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well @Mibu I binned the torch as on side where torch initially started peeling on flesh and today could see internal skeloton it just falling off when squirting with turkey baster.

Only just started adding corals this last month apart from few tester corals before,well corals I bought Saturday not gone so well.

Purple torch = binned

Green slimer = got few burrowing spinioid worms or barnacles inside it.

Stylo sps = just snapped it while trying grab something I tank with lights out and off course superglue I had no good so had to use epoxy and stick it to rocks and hope urchin doesn't grab it by time it sets.

Radioactive zoas= this morning urchin wearing it and by my reckoning at least 8ish zoas somewhere in tank as half the zoas hanging off frag plug and just attached loosely.

Zoa frag with some green and pink zoas on it got 4- 5 small aiptasia.

So all in all bought 5 new corals and something on or in the coral or something happenned to the coral, never a dull moment in my tank ha ha

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sorry, it was brown jelly after all.

urchins can be a hassle. Mine hides frags all the time.

Reef is a lot of work to do. Hope things improve for you. I still have my battles.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry, it was brown jelly after all.

urchins can be a hassle. Mine hides frags all the time.

Reef is a lot of work to do. Hope things improve for you. I still have my battles.
Well in 9 months I had tank up for,it gone quite smoothly apart from leather getting ripped off rockwork and sliced through with the string that the lfs attached it to rock ( my fault on placement and to much flow I believe) and 2 new snails that died shortly after introduced and 2- 3 hermits killed by murderous now sump crab lol so was about time had little set back and I'm sure there be more as time goes on ^_^

But all I can do is try learn from experiences and one thing I'm dego doing is taking plastic cups and elastic bands when next buy corals like I've seen on YouTube videos of people unboxing corals sent through the post as believe damage from lfs grabbing it or more than likely transport in bag of water caused torch to start downward spiral but only thinking this from what I've been reading of some stress event or damage then bjd sets in as secondary but no problem I just be more careful next time just incase and once again thankyou @Mibu for all your help with this torch and everything else.
And thankyou to all who reply in this thread and five suggestions. It's very much appreciated indeed ^_^

Blackstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ying yang.​

Please take this as constructive criticism. Corals are fine & better off in plastic bags it's softer & less damaging than hard plastic cups etc. Keep your hands out of the tank & leave the corals alone, the constant moving, touching & handling of the corals causes them far more stress than leaving them alone & letting them get on with it If you do see part of a coral dying gently clean it off with a very soft brush or baster without touching or moving it​

Last edited:
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ying yang. Corals are fine & better off in plastic bags it's softer & less damaging than hard plastic cups etc. Please take this as constructive criticism. Keep your hands out of the tank & leave the corals alone, the constant moving, touching & handling of the corals causes them far more stress than leaving them alone & letting them get on with it If you do see part of a coral dying gently brush it off with a very soft brush without touching or moving it​

Thanks for reply.
The torch in question totally fell to bits,gently turkey baster and tentacles falling off all over place so binned it .
And the use if plastic cups and elastic band would mean the coral touches nothing.
Make hole through plastic cup and place bottom of frag plug through hole then elastic band around bottom of frag plug on outside so holds frag plug and coral is on inside of cup and doesn't touch nothing .Once watched a youtube video and thought thats a great idea.
But yeah your advice on keep hands out of tank I think is great idea and I try my best not to put hands in and use grippers and coral feeders and keep hands out tank as ive read over and over this is best for tank .
Ovbiously now im starting to stock corals in tank I start them low for a week or so then raise them up then get left well alone .^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like this packing I mean of anyone reading this today,tommorrow even in 5 years time ha ha and hi there ^_^

Blackstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@ying yang

I'd never thought about using cups for frags, brilliant idea. Unfortunately no matter what we do or how good our water quality is some corals just fail so it's not a reflection on you

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@ying yang

I'd never thought about using cups for frags, brilliant idea. Unfortunately no matter what we do or how good our water quality is some corals just fail so it's not a reflection on you
Yeah unfortunately shortly after put this torch in tank ( like 30 minutes after ) I noticed some of the flesh on the outside peeling off so either got damaged as lfs guy picked it up and packed it,or got damaged in transit or was just in a bad way in lfs tank but I got him to pick it up and turn it around and inspected it and seen no damage at all.this why I think it rubbed on the bag in transit and its own Skelton damaged itself, but either way the decline was fast .lasted 3 days and poof,falling to bits,but it's OK I did what I could and will chalk it down and try better next time and even inspect more next time incase missed something ,

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back