Is this T5 lighting too blue?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

A little background. I recently went through a crash on my SPS dominate tank. I dosed Vibrant, Fluconazole, Chemiclean, etc and during this I had heavy metals in my RODI and main water along with low Iodine and high Potassium. During this time I changed out my (4) Mars Aqua Black Boxes with upgraded diodes and (2) Blue+ T5's in November to a (6) bulb LET Retrofit kit with all ATI bulbs.

I originally went with the 50/50 Coral+/Blue+ combination. This combo was very white compared to what I was running before with the Black Box LED's and (2) Blue+ bulbs. My LED's were set around 90% Blues and 20% whites. This is purely anecdotal but I think that going from a blue spectrum to a much whiter spectrum during all of the issues I was currently having caused stress on the system.

I went from (3) Coral+ bulbs to 2, then to 1, and now as of last night none at all. On my (6) bulb setup I have (4) Blue+ and (2) Actinic bulbs. I really like the look of this combo and it resembles a little closer to what I was used to running with the Black Boxes, etc.

My question is, will this have a negative impact on my corals? It doesn't bother me and If it will still keep the SPS happy and growing then I will leave it for a little while to see how it does. Just want to make sure I am not going to have a negative impact on my Corals more than what they have already gone through.

Tank with Black Boxes and (2) ATI Blue+ bulbs. At this time tank was looking great

20201021_162620.jpg

This is after I changed lights out to all ATI T5's with (3) Coral+ and (3) Blue+. You can see how much whiter the tank looks

20201021_162426.jpg

This is last week. My setup was (1) Coral+, (4) Blue+, and (1) Actinic. You can see it still appears white

20201219_200036.jpg

This is yesterday after I removed the last Coral+. It is now (4) Blue+ and (2) Actinic.

20210127_150420.jpg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 C+ 3 B+ is way too blue for me. I like 4 C+ 2 TA. Blue Plus grows corals, if you like it ultra blue/green go for it.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a pretty good t5 configuration recommendations. I have the 4 bulb T5 Hybrid fixture and use 2 blue plus, 1 actinic, and 1 corals plus. Tank looks awesome. Your tank isn't "too blue" for the corals. I know some reefers don't run any white on their tanks, and they grow coral just fine. For me, too blue doesn't bring out the purples/pinks like the white spectrums do. What's the point of all of that coraline if you can't really see it?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, changing to bulbs with a different spectrum can affect color but has never affected my acro's health. I changed out my T-5's a month ago and decided to try a few different bulbs. My Homewrecker lost its pink. But it's still healthy and growing well. I plan to give it some time before going back to the way I had it before.

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't think it will necessarily have a negative impact on your corals. If you like a really deep actinic look this is kind of what you need to do. My only thought would be maybe swap one B+ or TA for a Purple Plus (or 2) and see if you like that better to bring out some more of the coralline pinks like what you saw with your LEDs.

MZReef120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 120 gal I have the nova extremes 8x54w T5 fixture and I run 4-blue+,2-actinic,1- purple+, 1-coral+. This is a great look. It has a good amount of blue, purple, and whitish.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

A little background. I recently went through a crash on my SPS dominate tank. I dosed Vibrant, Fluconazole, Chemiclean, etc and during this I had heavy metals in my RODI and main water along with low Iodine and high Potassium. During this time I changed out my (4) Mars Aqua Black Boxes with upgraded diodes and (2) Blue+ T5's in November to a (6) bulb LET Retrofit kit with all ATI bulbs.

I originally went with the 50/50 Coral+/Blue+ combination. This combo was very white compared to what I was running before with the Black Box LED's and (2) Blue+ bulbs. My LED's were set around 90% Blues and 20% whites. This is purely anecdotal but I think that going from a blue spectrum to a much whiter spectrum during all of the issues I was currently having caused stress on the system.

I went from (3) Coral+ bulbs to 2, then to 1, and now as of last night none at all. On my (6) bulb setup I have (4) Blue+ and (2) Actinic bulbs. I really like the look of this combo and it resembles a little closer to what I was used to running with the Black Boxes, etc.

My question is, will this have a negative impact on my corals? It doesn't bother me and If it will still keep the SPS happy and growing then I will leave it for a little while to see how it does. Just want to make sure I am not going to have a negative impact on my Corals more than what they have already gone through.

Tank with Black Boxes and (2) ATI Blue+ bulbs. At this time tank was looking great

20201021_162620.jpg

This is after I changed lights out to all ATI T5's with (3) Coral+ and (3) Blue+. You can see how much whiter the tank looks

20201021_162426.jpg

This is last week. My setup was (1) Coral+, (4) Blue+, and (1) Actinic. You can see it still appears white

20201219_200036.jpg

This is yesterday after I removed the last Coral+. It is now (4) Blue+ and (2) Actinic.

20210127_150420.jpg
I have this same bulb combo 4x blue plus and 2x actinic. But, I have the 8-bulb fixture so I threw in 2x aquablue specials in the 2-bulb channel and run those only midday for some daylight spectrum and to see my tank a different color. The majority of my photoperiod is the 4x blue plus and 2x actinic. I also think those 6 bulbs are enough to grow acros and make them look good too, but the tank looks a little dim to me. Essentially its just the 4x Blue Plus that is visible since the actinics are so dim. However, the actinics still offer a beneficial spectrum and pretty good par, so it is deceiving.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same bulb combo 4x blue plus and 2x actinic. But, I have the 8-bulb fixture so I threw in 2x aquablue specials in the 2-bulb channel and run those only midday for some daylight spectrum and to see my tank a different color. The majority of my photoperiod is the 4x blue plus and 2x actinic. I also think those 6 bulbs are enough to grow acros and make them look good too, but the tank looks a little dim to me. Essentially its just the 4x Blue Plus that is visible since the actinics are so dim. However, the actinics still offer a beneficial spectrum and pretty good par, so it is deceiving.

I agree. It is more bright than it looks in the photos though. I did some PAR testing last night and I am around 500+ at the tops and around 250+ near the bottom with all bulbs on.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't think it will necessarily have a negative impact on your corals. If you like a really deep actinic look this is kind of what you need to do. My only thought would be maybe swap one B+ or TA for a Purple Plus (or 2) and see if you like that better to bring out some more of the coralline pinks like what you saw with your LEDs.

I think this is for the win here. I had a new Purple+ so I decided to try. I replaced one of the Actinics and I do like this combo a lot. Still seems a little bright but not as white with the Coral+. I don't mind it all. Just wanted to bring the spectrum back to what they were used to with the LEDs.

I really do like this combo though.

Blue+
Blue+
Actinic
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+

Don't mind the corals right now. Going through tank issues right now but hopefully on the upswing.

20210127_195237.jpg

20210127_195435.jpg

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. It is more bright than it looks in the photos though. I did some PAR testing last night and I am around 500+ at the tops and around 250+ near the bottom with all bulbs on.
Wow, that's plenty. I wonder what I'm at when I have those 2-additional ABS bulbs kick on.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's plenty. I wonder what I'm at when I have those 2-additional ABS bulbs kick on.

Probably a good amount. I seen that the ABS have the most PAR out of the ATI line up.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is for the win here. I had a new Purple+ so I decided to try. I replaced one of the Actinics and I do like this combo a lot. Still seems a little bright but not as white with the Coral+. I don't mind it all. Just wanted to bring the spectrum back to what they were used to with the LEDs.

I really do like this combo though.

Blue+
Blue+
Actinic
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+

Don't mind the corals right now. Going through tank issues right now but hopefully on the upswing.

20210127_195237.jpg

20210127_195435.jpg
That looks good. Just a thought, to even things out and let more of your corals in the middle/front take in some of the Purple+ daylight spectrum, maybe try:

Blue+
Blue+
Actinic
Purple+
Blue+
Blue+

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good. Just a thought, to even things out and let more of your corals in the middle/front take in some of the Purple+ daylight spectrum, maybe try:

Blue+
Blue+
Actinic
Purple+
Blue+
Blue+

I will change it around tomorrow and see what it looks like. I was going to put it in the middle originally but didn't because of how the circuits are wired. The middle two bulbs are on their own and I am using them for the blues that come on for an hour before and after the other 4 bulbs. See below for ballast layout.

1 - Blue+
2 - Blue+
3 - Actinic
3 - Purple+
1 - Blue+
2 - Blue+

What about this layout? If anything I could always just rewire the fixture as well. This is starting front to back.

1 - Blue+
2 - Blue+
3 - Purple+
3 - Blue+
1 - Actinic
2 - Blue+

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, one purple plus can definitely go a long way.

Yes. I really do like how the Purple+ evens out the Blue+ bulbs. I will more than likely run with this for a couple of months. Once the tank improves and if the corals seem to respond well to the new lights then I will probably add another Purple+ in the mix.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will change it around tomorrow and see what it looks like. I was going to put it in the middle originally but didn't because of how the circuits are wired. The middle two bulbs are on their own and I am using them for the blues that come on for an hour before and after the other 4 bulbs. See below for ballast layout.

1 - Blue+
2 - Blue+
3 - Actinic
3 - Purple+
1 - Blue+
2 - Blue+

What about this layout? If anything I could always just rewire the fixture as well. This is starting front to back.

1 - Blue+
2 - Blue+
3 - Purple+
3 - Blue+
1 - Actinic
2 - Blue+
I think if you only had on 1x blue+ and 1x purple+ for your dusk/dawn then the tank will look pink.
With all 6-bulbs on with the Purple+ and one less actinic did it brighten up a little?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you only had on 1x blue+ and 1x purple+ for your dusk/dawn then the tank will look pink.
With all 6-bulbs on with the Purple+ and one less actinic did it brighten up a little?

The bulbs with the 1 in front of them would be my dusk/dawn bulbs. It would be a Blue+ and an Actinic bulb.

Yes, the Purple+ did brighten the tank up and made the Blue+ bulbs look good. It didn't overpower the blue bulbs. Just made it a little whiter and blended well. I think I might actually add another Purple+ down the road in a couple of months.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back