Is this too much aggression between my maroon clowns?

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this pair up from my LFS who got them for me as a WYSIWYG “pair”. The we’re fine and at peace with one another in my acclimation box, but the aggression has increased since they were introduced into my display. The smaller fish is antagonizing the larger in this case... It’s gotten to the point where the larger fish’s fins are fairly tattered. I don’t want to lose one of them! Any opinions here?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the smaller aggressor in an acclimation box for roughly 4-5 days. Maroons in my experience are very hard to pair. I have had Lighting clowns that were almost impossible to pair. They are going to be aggressive but when one is showing tattered fins it's time to separate them. Good luck.

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the smaller aggressor in an acclimation box for roughly 4-5 days. Maroons in my experience are very hard to pair. I have had Lighting clowns that were almost impossible to pair. They are going to be aggressive but when one is showing tattered fins it's time to separate them. Good luck.

Thanks!!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look bad in video, but hard to tell. They still look young and close in size. Not sure they were bonded pair yet. May be sorting that out. Keep eye on them. maroons can get mean quickly. They are very nice by the way. I like lighning maroons.

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look bad in video, but hard to tell. They still look young and close in size. Not sure they were bonded pair yet. May be sorting that out. Keep eye on them. maroons can get mean quickly. They are very nice by the way. I like lighning maroons.

Thanks for the input... I agree. I couldn’t fathom losing one of these beauties!

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing about this is that they “sleep” in the same anemone at night.... Does anyone think a couple days black out would help?

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The aggression seems to be somewhat diminished - Both fish look healthy, fins aren't too tattered. I am going to continue observing them for the moment, and hope they work out their indifferences. If I notice one seems to be acting abnormally or sick/injured, I'll remove the aggressor. Thanks for the input everyone.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back