- Joined
- Jul 16, 2009
- Messages
- 10,211
- Reaction score
- 17,091
It’s all good. I don’t mind clarifying, but you are attributing a position to me that I did not take. That is understandable given the length of the posts and the number of separate claims being addressed.so sorry to come back again on this, but repeating yourself doesn't actually provide the clarification I was hoping for. I still don't understand: why does low flow make your argument work? why is it important for 100% of the water to go through the UV in order for the other side's argument to work? stuff in suspension doesn't stay touching the same water molecules at all times so I still genuinely don't understand why this is so important
I am not arguing that UV doesn’t work. My argument is against Allen4K’s absolute framing and the misapplied model being used to support it. Nothing else.
I did not claim that flow and settling are mutually exclusive. I explicitly said that reduced flow can allow detritus to settle while water continues to move through the area.
The either/or framing came from Allen4K. He explicitly argued that my logic would hold only if the words “nearly” and “less” were replaced with “zero.” I flatly rejected that framing. Non-uniform flow breaks his uniform-mixing assumption without flow ever reaching zero. I did not say that flow cannot reach zero. He said that it had to reach zero for my argument to hold.
When I said his arguments were opposing, I was referring to how he was using them, not claiming that the underlying physical conditions could not coexist. He used the fact that flow carried detritus into an area as proof that everything eventually cycles through, while treating the detritus remaining there as irrelevant to the evidence that the flow is non-uniform. I explicitly said that flow can continue through the area while remaining too low to keep the detritus suspended.
You are arguing against an exclusivity that I rejected, not one that I asserted.
In short, Allen built a stack of absolute claims over several posts. He argued that 100% of the water passes through the UV after enough passes, framed that against the pelagic window, and treated it as support for the implied conclusion that 100% of the theronts would therefore pass through as well.
Nothing he presented establishes that in a real aquarium. Those claims were each addressed in my prior post.

