Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I. Is your reef/fish tank insured???

a. Who with?
b. Does your “personal property” cover it?
FE286F68-74BD-4FDD-942E-A88989397BD4.jpeg

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home owners insurance covers it all.
I was asked if I could get receipts for everything I’ve purchased??? Ya right!!! Orrrr, could I get an appraisal from an authorized reef store or business. That i can do.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most insurances will cover your aquarium if under the right conditions. If let’s say a leak occurred at the seams, most will not. But let’s say the glass breaks because the home is not level, then yes it’ll be covered. It can be tricky but it’s possible to get it covered. I just went through the whole process with USAA. Because of my job, I know how to read the legalese a bit better than your average joe. That’s helps a lot. In short, it depends but under the right circumstances, most insurances will cover a crash.

BillyW

FOWLR while out on the island of Oahu!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most insurances will cover your aquarium if under the right conditions. If let’s say a leak occurred at the seams, most will not. But let’s say the glass breaks because the home is not level, then yes it’ll be covered. It can be tricky but it’s possible to get it covered. I just went through the whole process with USAA. Because of my job, I know how to read the legalese a bit better than your average joe. That’s helps a lot. In short, it depends but under the right circumstances, most insurances will cover a crash.
I have USAA too, how big of a PITA was it to get your tank covered?

jtmoney1523

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have USAA as well what did they say?

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have USAA too, how big of a PITA was it to get your tank covered?
Wasn’t a pain at all. Gotta use the right words when talking about the crash. Can’t ever say the word “leak.” But you have to be honest with yourself as well. If your kiddo hits the glass with a baseball, can’t expect the insurance to cover.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Do you need to specify
I was asked if I could get receipts for everything I’ve purchased??? Ya right!!! Orrrr, could I get an appraisal from an authorized reef store or business. That i can do.

Do you need to have proof of the size of the tank and all equipment used?
I'm sure they don't want to unknowingly replace a 75g tank with a fully automated 300g designer tank.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
family-feud-x.jpg

Not sure if you guys are having actual conversations with your Insurance Rep or you're just making a lot of assumptions.

So.... I specifically had a conversation with my Rep

Under my current policy, any damage to my house caused by a faulty tank would cover water damage to the house, minus a big FAT $1,000 deductible....

ANY LOSS TO THE TANK, ITS EQUIPMENT IS NOT COVERED.

If my tank is a $10,000 investment on my part and the tank blows up, the value of the tank is NOT covered.

$0 money coming my way to replace the tank under ANY claim

Damage to my house would be covered after the deductible.

In order to have the tank & equipment covered... a SPECIAL INSURANCE RIDER would have to be bought and paid for ON TOP of the cost of the current policy. Peroid.

An Insurance Underwriter would have to access the cost of the Rider... which is not cheap.

I cant even begin to guess what insuring a $10,000 tank&equipment would cost a year but suspect it would hundreds (yes hundreds) of dollars year. Maybe even break over $1,000/yr

All I know is if my 180g busts water damage all over our first floor, I won't live to tell about bc my wife will cut my beating heart out of my chest.

BTW... My wife's wedding ring was NOT covered until we purchased a special rider. I believe it's $100/yr to cover her ring

Last edited:

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
family-feud-x.jpg

Not sure if you guys are having actual conversations with your Insurance Rep or you're just making a lot of assumptions.

I specifically had a conversation with my Rep.

Under my current policy any damage to my house caused by a faulty tank would cover water damage to the house, minus a big FAT $1,000 deductible....

ANY LOSS TO THE TANK, ITS EQUIPMENT, ITS CONTENT IS NOT COVERED. If my tank is a $10,000 investment on my part and the tank blows up, the value of the tank is NOT covered.

Damage to my house would be covered after deductible.

In order to have the tank, equipment and contents covered... a SPECIAL INSURANCE RIDER would have to be bought and paid for ON TOP of the cost of the current policy. Peroid.

My wife's wedding ring was NOT covered until we purchased a special rider. I believe it's $100/yr to cover her ring

This is very much the explanation I was hoping for.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
family-feud-x.jpg

I specifically had a conversation with my Rep.

Under my current policy any damage to my house caused by a faulty tank would cover water damage to the house, minus a big FAT $1,000 deductible....

ANY LOSS TO THE TANK, ITS EQUIPMENT, ITS CONTENT IS NOT COVERED. If my tank is a $10,000 investment on my part and the tank blows up, the value of the tank is NOT covered.

Damage to my house would be covered after deductible.

In order to have the tank, equipment and contents covered... a SPECIAL INSURANCE RIDER would have to be bought and paid for ON TOP of the cost of the current policy. Peroid.

An Insurance Underwriter would have to access the cost of the Rider... which is not cheap.

I cant even begin to guess what insuring a $10,000 tank&equipment would cost a year but suspect it would hundreds (yes hundreds) of dollars year. Maybe even break over $1,000/yr

My wife's wedding ring was NOT covered until we purchased a special rider. I believe it's $100/yr to cover her ring

So I’m guessing that every/many insurance companies are different. American Family had both my wife and I on the phone earlier this week. The rep talked to us about personal property insurance included in our policy. We chose the highest at $225,000. This covers all of our personal property in and outside of our home. I specifically asked about my 180 gallon tank with equipment and livestock. We too would have a $1000 deductible. There was no “special rider” discussed.
She asked me to get an appraisal by a aquarium professional. Which I will do soon.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m guessing that every/many insurance companies are different. American Family had both my wife and I on the phone earlier this week. The rep talked to us about personal property insurance included in our policy. We chose the highest at $225,000. This covers all of our personal property in and outside of our home. I specifically asked about my 180 gallon tank with equipment and livestock. We too would have a $1000 deductible. There was no “special rider” discussed.
She asked me to get an appraisal by a aquarium professional. Which I will do soon.
So wait.... the pic above actually happened in your home? Is this an ongoing insurance claim?

1) I'll be shocked if they actually cut a check specifically so you can replace your tank

2) if they do.... I'd be on the lookout of your policy being canceled next billing cycle. My brother in law claimed roof damage (covered) and then 4mos later discovered window water damage (2nd claim, covered)... then received a certified letter a month later that his Home Owners policy was being canceled in the next 10 days. Home Owners Ins Companies do not lose money, if you tip the scales too much, they'll cancel you in a New York minute. My brother in law had to SCRAMBLE to find a new policy inside 10 days for a $800k home. He was quite urinated off to say the least

Good luck. Hate to see stuff like this....

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back