OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love @AlgaeBarn But I’ve had the worst luck with my purchases for this build.

I ordered two pin cushion urchins to help with algae but UPS delivered them like this…

IMG_6099.jpeg

What the heck. Looks like a dog took a bite out of it. Not to mention the insulation is wet and there are two cooling packs but it’s been in the 60s here in SoCal the whole week — so not sure what thats about.

IMG_6100.jpeg

I acclimated the urchins and hopefully they will survive. I opened a ticket with @AlgaeBarn already.

IMG_6103.jpeg

IMG_6108.jpeg

My luck …is non existent.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some debate internally with myself, I did ship my skimmer lid out to @FishOfHex —well, I just saw it listed on his site for sale if anyone is looking for an Ultra Reef Typhoon UKD-200 CO2 recirculating attachment:

IMG_6115.png

That’s my lid . I wish I cleaned it better.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, the best consistent experience with online marine fish vendors is fishotel.com.

Picked up a juvenile dusky wrasse and came in this morning. Currently temp acclimating:

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dusky Wrasse is pretty bold. He was getting checked a lot by the checkerboard so I put a mirror up to distract everyone. Bad video below but didn't want to get too close to let them have some time to get comfortable. But a beautful specimen of this species.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the final group of fish. A Blond Naso, a Hippo Tang, and a Timor Wrasse. These are all from Marine Collector's this time.

Here's a video of the received box:

There are definitely issues with the packaging methodology. Again, like Ocean Devotion LA the animals are packed loosely and with not as much water as I would have liked. I think there's a weight issue these two vendors are trying to address. But, I'll say, that for the price of the fish, I think the patrons of their stores would be willing to pay more for extra water.

The other issue was that the bags are not sealed tightly enough -- so for instance, the hippo tang's bag was leaking.

I have to give it to Fish Hotel again. I've ordered larger fish and groups from Fish Hotel and they are just packed tightly in a nest with sealed bags. And the bags are full. Plus, the bags feel much thicker.

I did appreciate the expediency of shipping. And the communication with the Marine Collector's owner is very good. I also appreciated the write up on caring for a newly shipped Blond Naso -- I did not know about the issues with shipping this species so I appreciated the heads up and step-by-step guide.

I'll have pics of the animals later today. I want to give them time to settle in and acclimate to the new water and overall environment. I do have the Blond Naso and the Hippo in isolation boxes for now. The stepbystep guide for Naso's was to start them in an isolation box to ensure they eat. I figured I'd do this anyways to make sure my Chocolate gets use to them. I also have a mirror on the glass now to distract the checkeboard wrasse and the chocolate who both seem a bit more aggressive.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blond Naso and Hippo Tang in acclimation boxes from Marine Collector's. They seem active and healthy:

Hippo:

Blong Naso:

Nice additions!!

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acquiring new fish is the most stressful thing in this hobby for me. I think I've said that before. I probably also have more affinity for the fish than coral as well.

So the Naso's condition seems to be going downhill. He's been in this acclimation box the entire time. I have a pvc pipe and some vinyl blinds to give him some security. But he's not eating, he's laying on his side more and more...

IMG_6151.JPG

He's slowly making his way back into the privacy pipe...

IMG_6146.JPG

This behavior was seen very soon after shipment. But if you look at my earlier post with the video he seemed like he was swimming around. He'd go from laying on his side to swimming. And, after reading the document from Marine Collectors, " Blonde Naso Care Recommendations", I posted an image of it in an earlier post above, it seems that I should expect some odd behavior.

But, after showing Elliot the images from this morning, he is saying that this specific behavior is not what he was writing about, and is probably a spinal injury during shipping.

Marine Collector's is offering credit which is great .

But I’m
:(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Blonde Naso passed away. I’m still unsure why. The other two fish from Marine Collectors are bold and hungry— Which is what I like to see.

I’m wondering about cyanide— reading about Nasos shipped from Indonesia have likely been exposed to cyanide capturing techniques. I’m curious and reading more on this. I don’t know where Marine Collector’s sources.

I know fishotel sources their fish via Africa to try and avoid this tactic. But even they can’t be sure.

☹️

IMG_6153.jpeg

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
challenge now is to figure out why I’m getting such a huge algae outbreak. I think it might have to do with the Prazi tank treatment I did a month or more ago.

IMG_6175.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Full tank shot as of now:

IMG_6189.jpeg

I added in the cave structure I built and rearranged the rock around the overflow a bit when I introduced the hippo tang.
Looking great!!

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the new double algae clip doing? You like it? Clips holding up?
I love it. Clips have been holding up — they seem to be able to grip the nori tightly enough that my rabbit fish doesn’t yank them out.

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full tank shot as of now:

IMG_6189.jpeg

I added in the cave structure I built and rearranged the rock around the overflow a bit when I introduced the hippo tang.
Tank is looking great!!!

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to install the recirculating CO2 scrubber attachment/upgrade from @FishOfHex

I think I’ve set it up properly:

IMG_6277.jpeg

Swapped the old Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 reactor for one of my older BRS reactors that strapped on fine with strong Velcro. This holds as much but is easier to change out media.

IMG_6275.jpeg

Added the collection cup as well:

IMG_6270.jpeg

I used 3M tape to attach the collection cup. Seems sturdy.
—-

Also added a T and valve to pull in outside air if the pH gets too high. But we’ll see. High ph is not something I usually have problems with.

IMG_6272.jpeg

Also added a quick connect on the CO2 lid attachment:

IMG_6271.jpeg

I’ll monitor pH and see if this helps keeping ph up or even just prolonging my CO2 media life.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back