Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope…roll still has floss left. Hmmmm.

the app did update this morning to version 6.4.4.

IMG_5747.jpeg

after launching the app it asked me to sign in. And now the current roll is not appearing in the view…

IMG_5748.jpeg

and looking at my roll history the past roll started in 1969?!

IMG_5749.jpeg

Uhhhh…any RedSea reps out there?

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went ahead and changed the roll yesterday. And magically, after clicking the new roll install in the app, everything came back (what gives?)

IMG_5753.png

I was able to get 22 feet out of my roll. So I'm wondering if at some point the onboard system wigs out? I even had about 2 feet left.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my order from @FraghouseCorals

IMG_5754.JPG

I picked up 8 pieces...

IMG_5755.JPG

I figured I should at least hit the Free shipping threshold so these all cost me $321.00.

IMG_5757.JPG

They all look great.

IMG_5758.JPG

Temp acclimating them in sump while I work. Then I'll clip off frag plug, dip in Bayer and mount on my plug and set them on a frag rack to acclimate for lighting and flow. Then in a couple days I'll mount.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little of a hurried glue job. I love that the BRS Glue doesn't release any residue once it hits the water. But these @FraghouseCorals look nice. They'll sit here at the bottom of the tank for a day or two. I've also turned off the T5 and left the G6s run. The PAR here is like 150.

IMG_5763.JPG

IMG_5762.JPG

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got a new buddy today from www.fishotel.com.

Fully quarantined and prophylactically treated Copperband Butterfly. I'm going to hope this time's the charm. Every fish from fishotel has been amazingly healthy and active.

IMG_5785.JPG

IMG_5783.JPG

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got a new buddy today from www.fishotel.com.

Fully quarantined and prophylactically treated Copperband Butterfly. I'm going to hope this time's the charm. Every fish from fishotel has been amazingly healthy and active.

IMG_5785.JPG

IMG_5783.JPG
Good luck!

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting in touch with Travis at @FishOfHex

Been talking to him for several days now and he convinced me to utilize a plate to work as a temporary lid while my current skimmer cup lid gets sent out to him so he could manufacture a CO2 recirculating attachment for the Ultra Reef Typhoon UKD-200. Finally got around to doing a plate contraption and testing it today...

Found a good BPA free plastic plate at Target for 50-cents this morning and a plastic birthday plate that seemed to work for downward direction of skimmate:

IMG_5821(1).JPG

IMG_5820.JPG

Drilled some air holes as well:

IMG_5822(1).JPG

I think this could work. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to try Fauna Marin’s Total Reef ICP kit for my first ICP test. Went with them just based on the latest @ReefBum Rappin’ With ReefBum YouTube show with Mike Palleta. The description of the very information dense data output, along with specific elements like fluoride caught my interest.

Here’s a link to that episode:

IMG_5840.jpeg

I went ahead and setup the aquarium profile already:

IMG_5838.jpeg

For reference:

Fauna Marin Reef ICP Total Tests:

Basic Values:

Conductivity, Density, rel. density, Salinity, PH, Alkalinity, CO2, Acid binding capacity, Smell, Watercolor

Macro Elements:
Chloride, Sodium, Magnesium, Sulfate, Calcium, Potassium, Bromine, Strontium, Boron, Fluoride

Nutrients:
Nitrate, Nitrite, Totalphosphorus, Ortho-Phosphate, Silicate

Trace Elements/Contaminants: Aluminium, Antimony, Arsenic, Barium, Beryllium, Lead, Cadmium, Chromium, Cobalt, Iron, Iodine, Copper, Lanthanum, Lithium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Mercury, Sulfur, Selenium, Silver, Titanium, Vanadium, Tungsten, Zinc, Tin, and Zirconium.

Relation Values:
Salinityline, Dynamic Elements, Relevantline

RO Water:
20 different contaminants, nutrients, and trace elements.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of new members of reef

Particularly pictures of the Blue Jaw trigger fish from @OceanDevotionLA

He’s finally coming out and aggressively eating.

IMG_5865.jpeg

IMG_5866.jpeg

And these two little devils:

D683C2C1-190C-44E9-8927-6CBAB40F919B.jpeg

The Copperband is from fishotel.com and the Two Barred rabbit is from @OceanDevotionLA

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m struggling to keep my calcium levels low. I’m sure it’s the Kalkwasser usage and my corals are all small and relatively new so they're still acclimating to the environment. Hoping they start pulling carbonate out of the water at some point.

Today's parameters:

IMG_5878.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good day for one of my new quarantined fish. I got two fish from a quarantine vendor in Southern California called Ocean Devotion. I got a Blue Jaw Trigger and a Two Bar Rabbit. Unfortunately the Rabbit fish passed today. It was just not eating after shipping. Finally succumbed to weakness and exhaustion today.

The great thing about quarantine vendors is that they really take care of you when things like this happen. And Ocean Devotion is no different.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a fish cave around black ABS coupling:

IMG_5918.jpeg

going to use the Marco dust and liquid Cyanoacrylate.

IMG_5919.jpeg

Balancing the rock against the coupling.

IMG_5921.jpeg

final piece:

IMG_5924.jpeg

IMG_5922.jpeg

IMG_5923.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good day for one of my new quarantined fish. I got two fish from a quarantine vendor in Southern California called Ocean Devotion. I got a Blue Jaw Trigger and a Two Bar Rabbit. Unfortunately the Rabbit fish passed today. It was just not eating after shipping. Finally succumbed to weakness and exhaustion today.

The great thing about quarantine vendors is that they really take care of you when things like this happen. And Ocean Devotion is no different.

That’s such a shame that was such a pretty fish. I was looking forward to seeing it in the tank….

What does Ocean Devotion plan on doing?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a fish cave around black ABS coupling:

IMG_5918.jpeg

going to use the Marco dust and liquid Cyanoacrylate.

IMG_5919.jpeg

Balancing the rock against the coupling.

IMG_5921.jpeg

final piece:

IMG_5924.jpeg

IMG_5922.jpeg

IMG_5923.jpeg
For who is it for?

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s such a shame that was such a pretty fish. I was looking forward to seeing it in the tank….

What does Ocean Devotion plan on doing?
Quarantine vendors seem to be very customer focused. Ocean Devotion LA is going to send me newly quarantined, fatter, Two Bar, in the next few weeks. Not even going to charge me shipping. I was very grateful.

Fishotel has a similar policy of 14 days of thriving.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was not fun at all. The up and downs of reefing is very emotional for me. I‘m surprised how intensely stressful this hobby can be AND how extremely relaxing it can be as well. But yesterday it was definitely stressful. Some aquarists lean toward coral preference and some toward the fish. I lean towards fish so my emotional state is affected by that preference. And at the same time I love the idea of a mixed reef and that is how I’m approaching this build. But to have a mixed reef you need coral and to keep coral you need fish.

Adding fish is the most stressful part of this hobby to me — I fall in love with the fish. Which is why I try to minimize as much as possible the impact on the fish health. So I’ve been buying only from pre-quarantined fish vendors that are listed on the humble.fish forums.

But even then then you can’t completely control all of the factors to prevent issues.

On May 10th, I received fish from two vendors, Ocean Devotion LA and Fishotel.com. I’ve only used fishotel.com because the owner, Jeff Dierkhising, is an active contributor on humble.fish forum — and all of his fish have been beautifully cared for and shipped perfectly every time.

I wanted to try another humble.fish vendor, Ocean Devotion LA, because they had a rabbit fish and a Trigger that I wanted to add to this tank build. The owner is Adam Sklar, and even though he’s not active on the forums helping others diagnose fish issues and treatments, he’s active in email and is communicative and open to having conversations. This I why I love these vendors on humble.fish. They are both hobbyists and technicians — and the love for the animals shows.

The challenge with fish is that there are so many factors. And sometimes things will just happen outside of anyone’s control — the nature of nature I suppose.

I ended up losing both of my new Trigger and Two Bar, for no explicable reason. I’m leaning toward shipping stress that manifested in something. You can read my documenting of this series of events here.

The worst part now is that my beautiful Chocolate tang that I’ve had in this tank since November is showing signs of what might be black spot (turbellarian worms). But I’m not sure. Here’s a video of the spots:

I’m not exactly sure how I will handle this today. But I did go ahead and pickup a 29 gallon AQueon from Petco and a Tidal HOB. I’ve got praziquantel ready to go if I decide to move him in today.

I’ll document the issues, challenges, and wins. But man this part of the hobby sucks.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing 46ml of PraziPro into display tank today. To help with "Black Ich" that showed up on my Chocolate tang.

I’m documenting this specifically here at humble fish’s forum since they’re helping me through it.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back