ISO Light for 5 Gallon Reef

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am getting into the hobby and was wondering if anyone was willing to sell a light that would work for my 5 gallon tall Marineland Portrait aquarium. I was thinking something like a Kessil A80 if anyone is selling. I'd like to spend $100 max.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it need to be controllable (ramp up and down throughout the day)? Led or?? Does it need to sustain coral now or in the future? What are the dimensions of your tank?

OP
OP
T

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it need to be controllable (ramp up and down throughout the day)? Led or?? Does it need to sustain coral now or in the future? What are the dimensions of your tank?
I would prefer the light to be controllable and I would like it to be an LED. In a few weeks, I would like to start to add coral and I don't want to be limited by my light. For the dimensions of my tank, it is about 10in*10in*18in.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kessel a80 (nicest and most expensive), reef breeders pico (I dont know this light but have always been impressed by reef breeders other fixtures), and the aqua knight (cheap and basic but a good light) are all nice options for your tank but none of them ramp up and down throughout the day on their own. I'm believe you can upgrade the kessils down the road to be controllable when your ready to spend another hundred. There are other off brand lights including knock off kessil but I don't have experience with them so cant recommend.

Sorry at $100 it's tough to find something with all the extra features.

OP
OP
T

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kessel a80 (nicest and most expensive), reef breeders pico (I dont know this light but have always been impressed by reef breeders other fixtures), and the aqua knight (cheap and basic but a good light) are all nice options for your tank but none of them ramp up and down throughout the day on their own. I'm believe you can upgrade the kessils down the road to be controllable when your ready to spend another hundred. There are other off brand lights including knock off kessil but I don't have experience with them so cant recommend.

Sorry at $100 it's tough to find something with all the extra features.
Thank You for your advice. I will probably end up going with a used Kessil and upgrading to a controller later down the line.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back