ISO Light for 5 Gallon Reef

The Fish Tankist

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2021
Messages
174
Reaction score
47
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am getting into the hobby and was wondering if anyone was willing to sell a light that would work for my 5 gallon tall Marineland Portrait aquarium. I was thinking something like a Kessil A80 if anyone is selling. I'd like to spend $100 max.
 
Does it need to be controllable (ramp up and down throughout the day)? Led or?? Does it need to sustain coral now or in the future? What are the dimensions of your tank?
 
Does it need to be controllable (ramp up and down throughout the day)? Led or?? Does it need to sustain coral now or in the future? What are the dimensions of your tank?
I would prefer the light to be controllable and I would like it to be an LED. In a few weeks, I would like to start to add coral and I don't want to be limited by my light. For the dimensions of my tank, it is about 10in*10in*18in.
 
The kessel a80 (nicest and most expensive), reef breeders pico (I dont know this light but have always been impressed by reef breeders other fixtures), and the aqua knight (cheap and basic but a good light) are all nice options for your tank but none of them ramp up and down throughout the day on their own. I'm believe you can upgrade the kessils down the road to be controllable when your ready to spend another hundred. There are other off brand lights including knock off kessil but I don't have experience with them so cant recommend.

Sorry at $100 it's tough to find something with all the extra features.
 
The kessel a80 (nicest and most expensive), reef breeders pico (I dont know this light but have always been impressed by reef breeders other fixtures), and the aqua knight (cheap and basic but a good light) are all nice options for your tank but none of them ramp up and down throughout the day on their own. I'm believe you can upgrade the kessils down the road to be controllable when your ready to spend another hundred. There are other off brand lights including knock off kessil but I don't have experience with them so cant recommend.

Sorry at $100 it's tough to find something with all the extra features.
Thank You for your advice. I will probably end up going with a used Kessil and upgrading to a controller later down the line.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new