Issues with Trident

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 reef tanks with Apex and Tridents on both. Both are less than 90 days old. The Trident on the first tank stopped working after a week and had to be replaced. Now the Trident on the 2nd tank has stopped working--will not pull sample water--after less than 60 days in operation. I have gone through all the support steps and have a called scheduled with the manufacturer to troubleshoot. Is anyone else experiencing this kind of failure rate? I am in the processing of setting up a new custom-built reef tank and am leery about getting another Apex/Trident system.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident has been running flawlessly for over 3 years.

The most common cause if it won't pull sample water is a clog in the black sample line tubing. Disconnect the sample line's plastic fitting from the back of the Trident and use it to attach the sample line to a syringe full of water, then try to force the water through the sample line. If you see water come out the other end, then the line is clear.

If that didn't solve the issue, then remove the reagent tray and look inside the Trident to see if all the tubes are still attached properly to the 6-port manifold.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detach the sample line and waste line. Get a tiny syringe, like the ones in red sea test kits, and shoot hot water into the tube to unclog it. If that’s not the issue, remove the casing of the trident and make sure all tubing is pushed in correctly. I had the same issue, until I found that one of the internal tubes was loose and not pulling water.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with @SuncrestReef on this. I would blow out the sample tube in some way. I have never had issue's with my Trident in this way. I would blow out the sample tube in some way and make sure it's in a none turbulent area of water. I would simply blow thru the tube with my own breath to clear it out and it worked, but, you may want to go with @SuncrestReef recommendation, LOL!!!

My Trident was almost 2 years old before I sent it in to be maintained.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stopped working at about the 15 month mark. Had to send it in for service,. There is an option to get a replacement before you send your in. It took like 3 and a half weeks to get the replacement.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would simply blow thru the tube with my own breath to clear it out and it worked, but, you may want to go with @SuncrestReef recommendation, LOL!!!
The average human can only blow about 2 PSI through a tube, which is next to nothing compared to the pressure a syringe full of water can generate.

I easily registered over 60 PSI with the syringe, but could barely budge the needle blowing through the tube with my mouth:
IMG_1299.jpg

OP
OP
D

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident has been running flawlessly for over 3 years.

The most common cause if it won't pull sample water is a clog in the black sample line tubing. Disconnect the sample line's plastic fitting from the back of the Trident and use it to attach the sample line to a syringe full of water, then try to force the water through the sample line. If you see water come out the other end, then the line is clear.

If that didn't solve the issue, then remove the reagent tray and look inside the Trident to see if all the tubes are still attached properly to the 6-port manifold.
I did blow through the line and saw bubbles out the other end. I did this a couple of times. I'll get a syringe and give that a try.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did blow through the line and saw bubbles out the other end. I did this a couple of times. I'll get a syringe and give that a try.
Be sure to place the open end of the tubing into a cup so you can see if any derbis comes out.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where you draw your sample from helps, too. I have mine in the last chamber before my return pump, so it gets the "cleanest" water (or at least, less debris that could potentially clog it).

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt will build up in the lines if it sits for a few days without testing clogging it as well. When this happens to mine, I just soak in warm ro/di and some vinegar. Then clean and its good to go.
+1 to blaxsun.. put it before the return chamber though like he said. I once put mine into the return chamber and soon after I had small pieces of tubing throughout my display tank lol.
They have extra lines for sale on the apex website, i picked up a couple extras, they dont cost much.

Back