It’s kinda disturbing seeing how many noobs kill aquatic life with their nano tanks….

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do noobs feel the need to buy nano tanks? Despite the massive amounts of research showing they should be utilized only by experienced reefers. Every single day I see on here some noob having trouble with their 5 or 10 gallon tank and their massive parameter swings…fish, coral, inverts, benificial algae…everything constantly dying. This is my opinion but aquatic life shouldn’t have to die/suffer because people feel the need to have a reef tank in their life for whatever reason. The main excuses I hear is “oh well I don’t have the money for a bigger tank” “well smaller equals less maintenance right?” “It’s easier for me to transport it”. All wrong. If you don’t have the money for a bigger tank and aren’t willing to put the dedication in to sustain a nano tank then don’t buy one at all. Save money and wait to buy a bigger tank. And smaller equals less maintenance…? Cmon. I think it’s time we normalize noobs getting into this hobby that’s it’s fine to buy bigger tanks and it never hurts to wait until you have the money to do so. My primary concern in this hobby is and always will be the proper preservation and sustainability of aquatic life that we put into our tanks. Every lifeform in our tanks is our responsibility. They shouldn’t have to die because people want a small tank on their night stand for “eye candy”.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be blunt but I will....

Why does anyone buying anything and failing at it.....a concern for you?

I don't get concerned. It doesn't affect my world if someone buys an Achilles Tang and puts it in a 2gal fish bowl then adds gelatin powder

Just curious why you're so concerned....

OP
OP
RedSeaReefer1

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't get concerned. It doesn't affect my world if someone buy a Achilles Tang and puts it in a 2gal fish bowl then adds gelatin

That mentality is part of the problem

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't get concerned. It doesn't affect my world if someone buys an Achilles Tang and puts it in a 2gal fish bowl then adds gelatin powder

Yeah and sex trafficking doesn’t impact me directly either but I still care about it.

if you are in this hobby just to have a pretty display you should not be here. We should be doing all in our power to keep these animals alive and healthy.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, a nano ia easier to maintain and move.
Second of all, Talking like you were never a ‘noob’. You’re making it seem like folks with bigger tanks never accidentally kill anything. How about back in the day? How many aquatic lives were killed during that time, until today when we’ve figured out how to properly care for the animals?
Money isn’t the only factor in a nano- what, so you’re only allowed a reef tank if you live in a house?
Let’s see your 1000g reef with a perfect track record.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second of all, Talking like you were never a ‘noob’. You’re making it seem like folks with bigger tanks never accidentally kill anything. How about back in the day? How many aquatic lives were killed during that time, until today when we’ve figured out how to properly care for the animals?
Money isn’t the only factor in a nano- what, so you’re only allowed a reef tank if you live in a house?
Feel better?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for speaking the truth!

There are plenty of experienced people killing coral/fish everyday.

OP
OP
RedSeaReefer1

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no ones perfect but the majority of noobs on here having problems and elsewhere seem to be a rather large majority of nano owners…

Reactions: Gup

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the issue, I believe, is a lack of patience and a combination of misinformation, lack of research, and conflicting information. Regrettably, also, as any hobby becomes more “accessible” the general quality of the hobby practitioner will generally drop, simply due to the increased pool of subjects and people hopping on a popularity bandwagon. This is why after Finding Nemo came out we had people ‘keeping’ “Nemo” in glass fishbowls… with fresh water. Popularity bandwagoners hop into the hobby, try to cut corners and take easy or cheaper route, and in this hobby that means things die.

Now, without somehow proposing means restriction, mandating a test before you can own your aquarium, or means testing people and gatekeeping, what can we do about this fact and this problem? As with most things, the answer lies in education and perhaps dissuasion. Encourage lazy people who you know aren’t researching anything away from the hobby, or towards an easier goal (fancy planted freshwater tank, anyone? Link them up with youtubers who can help ‘form’ their opinions and decisions). Educate the willing, encourage the good, and redirect the well-intentioned but lacking. Keeping a nano isn’t impossible, or even altogether hard if you’re patient and careful. Keeping a nano is darn near impossible if you stuff it with anemones and acros before it’s even cycled.

OP
OP
RedSeaReefer1

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for speaking the truth!

There are plenty of experienced people killing coral/fish everyday.
Well yes but you’re missing my point. Noobs think it’s easier to start with a nano. It’s not. Thus why they are a primary reason why these aquatic life forms constantly die due to their inexperience

Reactions: Gup

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see big tank wipe outs on here too. I don’t see the size mattering at all.

nanos are fairly easy to keep unless you doing full blown SPS. Just do a weekly water change and put appropriate fish in it.

30g seems to be about a perfect size.

Jrswish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how people justify killing fish with “trial and error” why doesn’t that apply to newborns? This website shows that fish are still not seen as pets like dogs and cats are.

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started with a 14 gallon tank. Everyone told me not to do it, that i needed a bigger tank, my tank wouldn't last over a yr, etc. I ran that tank for 5 years and still have all that livestock today and only managed to lose a couple dartfish. For someone just getting their feet wet, spending $800 is a lot more enticing than 5-6 grand. It honestly comes down to how committed someone is to doing their research. Did I do everything right staring off? Of course not, but that's part of the learning curve and I learned from my mistakes and kept the tank going. If a person is well informed they can and many do set up and keep a successful nano.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 25 lagoon is wayyyy easier to maintain than my larger tanks were. Less footprint, doesn’t dominate a room, great top down viewing, etc. The appeal is real on these.

I didn’t particularly care for your delivery on this post and see people killing stuff with all kinds of tanks sizes and am not sure what made you attack those of us with smaller tanks.

:: Lifts truck 2 more inches ::

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love how people justify killing fish with “trial and error” why doesn’t that apply to newborns? This website shows that fish are still not seen as pets like dogs and cats are.
Just a bit of a difference between those two.....one significantly more than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back