It going to take more than just a mop…

LoveReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son bumped into a front corner of my tank moving a glass top table and the result of this is 90 gallons of salt water bursting through the front like Niagara Falls onto my floor.

It wasn’t hard contact at all. About as hard as flipping it with your middle finger but glass on glass lol. I suppose it hit hard enough to crack the corner or damage the seal and create a leak but this catastrophic failure to the front pane has me scratching my head. Does this look to you guys like it would be the outcome of a corner strike or another type of failure that has gone unnoticed over period of time with the bump putting the nail in the coffin?

IMG_7853.jpeg IMG_7861.jpeg IMG_7883.jpeg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where you are, I have a replacement for you, unfortunately it's the exact same. Tempered glass 90, no predrilled overflow.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no glass expert but with it shattering I doubt it was a pre existing issue.

In my younger days I worked at a fast food restaurant and it always amazed me that I would sometimes drop a coffe pot and it was fine but other times I’d barely tap it on something and it would shatter.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son bumped into a front corner of my tank moving a glass top table and the result of this is 90 gallons of salt water bursting through the front like Niagara Falls onto my floor.

It wasn’t hard contact at all. About as hard as flipping it with your middle finger but glass on glass lol. I suppose it hit hard enough to crack the corner or damage the seal and create a leak but this catastrophic failure to the front pane has me scratching my head. Does this look to you guys like it would be the outcome of a corner strike or another type of failure that has gone unnoticed over period of time with the bump putting the nail in the coffin?

IMG_7853.jpeg IMG_7861.jpeg IMG_7883.jpeg
Wow! sorry that happened to you!

OP
OP
LoveReefer

LoveReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where you are, I have a replacement for you, unfortunately it's the exact same. Tempered glass 90, no predrilled overflow.
That’s incredibly generous of you! Thank you for that offer but I’m not sure which direction I’m going to go from here. I’m not that easily discouraged, I’m not thinking of leaving the hobby but possibly a bit of a downsize or a different style tank. I like cube tanks. Maybe a 36” X 36”…

Thank you again, that was a kind gesture .

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof, looks like someone is gonna be mowing lawns for a few summers! Joking aside, this has always been one of my fears, and I love glass tanks...but I think my next tank will be acrylic! Hope you managed to save any livestock!

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad you are positive minded. However what kind of table was it? It looks like a shatter in small pieces and judging by what I see it looks like it was hit by a sharp side of the table.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the humanity...a long time ago I had a 55 gallon crack in the bottom and that was it for me.
It's been all acrylic since then. I don't even look at glass anymore.

Sorry about your disaster. That sucks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back