It's just a tank

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not sure but adding extra airstone could not hurt ?
is she just sitting in one place , labored breathing ?
how long sitting in same place ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's pretty relaxed. More so before I added the power head. Before I added the power head, she had a much deeper breathing rate.

I am assuming she had a bad irritation from flukes detaching?

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how long sitting in same place ?
@Jay Hemdal
She's been there for an hour. The chaeto blew over to her side and it scared her.

Edit: both gills back to normal.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. She started to lay her head down sideways. I did a 30% water change at that very moment. She perked up instantly. I guess next gc treatment I will use 3 packs and not 5.
I don't think having an eel is good for your brain....

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think having an eel is good for your brain....
This shirs scary right now. Peazi and metro shouldnt cause ill effects unless the gills were heavy infested. She has a cough right now. I'm not liking this

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This shirs scary right now. Peazi and metro shouldnt cause ill effects unless the gills were heavy infested. She has a cough right now. I'm not liking this
Take a breath.....

Now another one.....

You know what you're doing. Your panic doesn't translate to better observation. You're good homie.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses have the same reaction to prazi. Breathing is fine. She just stopped being so active.

The head tilt. That made me panuc.
So, I think we can both rule out panic, as an effective tool in decision making, for the health of the animal, ya?

If you need to change the water, change the water. Maybe you need to creep up on the number of cg packets next time.

You got this homie.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I think we can both rule out panic, as an effective tool in decision making, for the health of the animal, ya?

If you need to change the water, change the water. Maybe you need to creep up on the number of cg packets next time.

You got this homie.
That I will do. I've never had an issue with gc or prazi before.
She tried to eat a pebble.

We'll see the results in the morning.

Probably an 80% total water change. She's scratching on sand now.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had good experiences using gc with eels and lions, really never an issue that I can remember, dozens of treatments. One important point, you must consider displacement. Her tank looks pretty bare so I didn't think to mention it, how many actually gallons of water is in her system? I have had issue treating other scorpion fish and I started splitting the dosage into 3rds, administering over 12 hrs, potency decreases pretty rapidly so you must get up to full dosage within 12hrs or so. Doing the water change is exactly what you should done.

So 3 main points, you treat actually water volume, and if concerned split dosage and ramp up. Maintain aeration, you can use airstone or just leave skimmer cup off if in the sump, or use a power head pointed to surface to break.

You reacted quickly and the time she was exposed should not be an issue in the long run, so hopefully all is well. Your point about the gills is not something I'm familiar with, but makes sense. And yes if the meds were clearing an issue it could also lead to stress. Rapid breathing is usually the danger sign to look for, unless an od without aeration, gc is probably the safest medication out there along with prazi pro.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've always had good experiences using gc with eels and lions, really never an issue that I can remember, dozens of treatments. One important point, you must consider displacement. Her tank looks pretty bare so I didn't think to mention it, how many actually gallons of water is in her system? I have had issue treating other scorpion fish and I started splitting the dosage into 3rds, administering over 12 hrs, potency decreases pretty rapidly so you must get up to full dosage within 12hrs or so. Doing the water change is exactly what you should done.

So 3 main points, you treat actually water volume, and if concerned split dosage and ramp up. Maintain aeration, you can use airstone or just leave skimmer cup off if in the sump, or use a power head pointed to surface to break.

You reacted quickly and the time she was exposed should not be an issue in the long run, so hopefully all is well. Your point about the gills is not something I'm familiar with, but makes sense. And yes if the meds were clearing an issue it could also lead to stress. Rapid breathing is usually the danger sign to look for, unless an od without aeration, gc is probably the safest medication out there along with prazi pro.
I know gc is is very safe. I dosed 5 packets (1per 10g) as was advised on box. Its a 60g
But, i dosed for 50g. The tank probably holds 50g.

After 2 hours from wc, she is now resuming her old behaviour. She went from laying head on the sand and now she's got her head up again. Moonlights are on so I can continue to monitor her.

I'll slowly ramp up next treatment should nothing ill come out of this. I don't know if she'll need 2 or 3 fluke treatments.

Powerhead is pointed at surface, skimmer remained on. No collection though.

Her breathing rate remained calm and steady.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if I'm treating for flukes and I have ruled out internal parasites, I use prazi pro. General cure contains metronidazole and praziquantel, which together will treat the broadest spectrum of internal parasites and worms, as well as flukes. Prazi pro contains praziquantel, which will treat some internal parasites but not all, but is very effective on flukes. I am very timid about recommending treatment of any kind, I'm really an anti-med sort and do not consider myself an expert on this point, but I will share my experiences. The thing about flukes is that they lay eggs that will hatch after the effectiveness of gc, and then you need to do double dose to be sure. I find using prazi pro for flukes to be more efficient and effective, 2 doses 5 days apart has worked for me. You can ramp up the pp dose as well, maintain aeration and dose actual water volume. Whatever you feel most comfortable in using, they will both do the trick.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly if I'm treating for flukes and I have ruled out internal parasites, I use prazi pro. General cure contains metronidazole and praziquantel, which together will treat the broadest spectrum of internal parasites and worms, as well as flukes. Prazi pro contains praziquantel, which will treat some internal parasites but not all, but is very effective on flukes. I am very timid about recommending treatment of any kind, I'm really an anti-med sort and do not consider myself an expert on this point, but I will share my experiences. The thing about flukes is that they lay eggs that will hatch after the effectiveness of gc, and then you need to do double dose to be sure. I find using prazi pro for flukes to be more efficient and effective, 2 doses 5 days apart has worked for me. You can ramp up the pp dose as well, maintain aeration and dose actual water volume. Whatever you feel most comfortable in using, they will both do the trick.
Ty. Medicine advise scares me as well. So, i try to avoid offering it. She's definitely shown signs of flukes.

I'll keep with prazi and leave the gc alone. I haven't seen signs of internal parasites. Poo looks like poo. So, i don't think metro is needed. I might be wrong.

Back