Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
upload GIF
I tried!!! Theyre too small for her tastes I guess.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel like a very bad person and need a confession booth. Husband and me were both exhausted at the end of the day. I did not go out and get her mollies like I was supposed too. Woke up this morning turned on the lights. 30 minutes later she looks at me as if saying she is hungry. Grabbed a piece of shrimp. Set up the camera. We had a battle.

Going to grab general cure today. She has the head twitch. I was watching to see if it was just random. But, I don't think it is. So this afternoon, I have a few must gets no time to relax and catch up on zzz's.

The ribbon eel is not here to say "look at what I have!" She is here because, I love eels. I would like to show people, when qt is done right. We can get things accomplished. Not every fish can be treated the same way. Reef fish feel happy with other tank mates. There is a mind set to this. They see other fish, they feel it is safe to come out and play. When things are empty, "where did everyone go, who ate them?"

Ribbon eels have a different mind. They are scared. Solitude has worked in 3 cases for me now. They need time to settle in. They are very attentive to their surroundings. She can spot me in the kitchen. It may just be an outline of my figure. But she notices. Something about being alone in their own room gives them the ability to relax. I could be full of crud. It's my own observations. 3/3 times.

We all need a variety of food. If you only and only had steak everyday. You'd end up hating the steak. Mollies and silver sides afternoon. What if I laced the shrimp with selcon?

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a cool fish. Don't beat yourself up...
I am trying not too. But, her health is important to me. I am going to get more pvc for the main tank and try to get her more tunnels. She seems to enjoy the pvc. I have bland ideas. But, should bring her comfort when introduced. Of course, that would be at night time.

The shock the fish will wake up too. That's going to be priceless.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She looks fine to me, selcon may turn her off feed ??

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm no Fishguy...:rolleyes: but wary of over feeding too quick ?? @lion king thoughts? TIA.
I figured she has been a month without food. If she has been in captivity for a month. I am sure she hasn't eaten. They do watch the eels for that. They know they can get more from an eel that is eating.

The size was smaller than her head. a sliver of a shrimp tail.

Edit: on Diver's den. The last eating ribbon eel I saw was 300.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is a good looking eel. and very healthy looking. As long as she continues to eat for you I wouldn't worry about treatment. The only concern for eels other than obvious signs of injury, would be internal parasites. As long as she is eating, that is not a concern; if she ever goes off eating there will be plenty of time to make an assessment. An insatiable appetite right before stopping eating is an indicator. Eels are very resistant to protazoan diseases, so there's no concern there.

Sorry I'm a nut for nutrition so this is unsolicited but you may find it interesting. Over time one of the big downfalls in feeding predators, is a high thiaminese diet. Thiaminese binds vitamin B1 and will cause premature death. Crustaceans do contain thiaminese, but here's the caveat, they also contain a good amount of B1. The trick is to buy fresh when you can and freeze in small batches. When used readily the B1 will override the thiaminese, using old frozen food over time the vitamin content will deplete. The problem is when people buy the cheapest old frozen shrimp they can find and keep it in their freezer for who knows how long.

Hikari brand silversides is a good option if you are in a pinch for a fish offering. Silversides is a common name and many of the brands do use fish which contains a high amount of thiaminese. Hikari brand silversides uses Pseudohemiculter dispar and does not contain thiaminese.

Mussels also contain a high amount of vitamin B1 and salmon is the best dead fish you can you offer, high in efa's.
Thanks for this info.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a very bad person and need a confession booth. Husband and me were both exhausted at the end of the day. I did not go out and get her mollies like I was supposed too. Woke up this morning turned on the lights. 30 minutes later she looks at me as if saying she is hungry. Grabbed a piece of shrimp. Set up the camera. We had a battle.

Going to grab general cure today. She has the head twitch. I was watching to see if it was just random. But, I don't think it is. So this afternoon, I have a few must gets no time to relax and catch up on zzz's.

The ribbon eel is not here to say "look at what I have!" She is here because, I love eels. I would like to show people, when qt is done right. We can get things accomplished. Not every fish can be treated the same way. Reef fish feel happy with other tank mates. There is a mind set to this. They see other fish, they feel it is safe to come out and play. When things are empty, "where did everyone go, who ate them?"

Ribbon eels have a different mind. They are scared. Solitude has worked in 3 cases for me now. They need time to settle in. They are very attentive to their surroundings. She can spot me in the kitchen. It may just be an outline of my figure. But she notices. Something about being alone in their own room gives them the ability to relax. I could be full of crud. It's my own observations. 3/3 times.

We all need a variety of food. If you only and only had steak everyday. You'd end up hating the steak. Mollies and silver sides afternoon. What if I laced the shrimp with selcon?

I know sometimes eels head twitch and it’s a natural thing to try and smell food, even freshwater eels do this and most morays if it’s continuous and often that’s when it means internal parasites. But because shes eating a lot she looks healthy. I would always soak the shrimp in selcon before feeding eel but I use selcon on everything lol it’s an immune booster and vitamins I don’t see why it would be bad

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know sometimes eels head twitch and it’s a natural thing to try and smell food, even freshwater eels do this and most morays if it’s continuous and often that’s when it means internal parasites. But because shes eating a lot she looks healthy. I would always soak the shrimp in selcon before feeding eel but I use selcon on everything lol it’s an immune booster and vitamins I don’t see why it would be bad
I was thinking of trying it just to help catch up on nutrition. Don't know if it will make her dislike the food.

The head shake is, not often enough to really count. Husband told me I was being paranoid.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an added tip to boost nutrition, stuff chunks with a few pellets. Pellets are concentrated and you can get some, say high in vitamin c, vit c is great for immune system. Hikari also makrs a good pellet high in vit c, and no I don't work for hikari(lol). Also use an algae pellet, predators get their green nutrients from the entrails of their prey.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's an added tip to boost nutrition, stuff chunks with a few pellets. Pellets are concentrated and you can get some, say high in vitamin c, vit c is great for immune system. Hikari also makrs a good pellet high in vit c, and no I don't work for hikari(lol). Also use an algae pellet, predators get their green nutrients from the entrails of their prey.
I buy their I forgot which pellet. I will definitely do that. Awesome tip!
Hikari makes sell a lot I have used to feed my fish.

Thank you for all the information and advise. I highly appreciate it. You never had to, but I am glad you did. :)

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

She really is gorgeous :star-struck:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips for fish that won't eat dead?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She really is! So glad @Lost in the Sauce pointed me in the right direction. It's good to have friends!
Eric @Eric Cohen took great care of me, going above and beyond (on his wedding anniversary) to bring my anemone home with him after work, saving me an hour in traffic each way Plus the animal was superb.

I'm always happy to sing the praises and refer those who do first class business, in a first class way. I'm also happy to give my opinion and warnings on sellers who miss the mark in a big way.

I'm happy he was able to help you out with your pretty girl. If you haven't already, Make sure to go and leave a review as the buyer on the feedback portal.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back