its time ! Mojo~ it a 75

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its time ! Mojo's 75 build rimless

Ok, with all the looking at lights I have pulled the trigger on a new build. Most of my builds happend really fast. This one is going to take some time.

THe tank will be a 75 g rimless
I have got the stand coming. I cant build one as cheap as a local guy can build one.
Ihave done something different with the stand. IT will be 36 in tall rather than the standard 30 in. This will give me enough room for my bucket to do water changes. This way I can poor my water right into the sump.

Other than that, I am going to wait till after MACNA to see what else I want to do with it. I am going to try biopellets again. I did order the JNS reactor and some BRS pellets.
I will be using my Avast Kalk stirrer, AI sol blues for lighting, eheim 1260 return pump, BRS pukani rock , And ill start off with Tunze 6045's for circ pumps.

This wont be a weekend build. I can promise that. so be patient on this one.

Skimmer will be either what I already have Warner MArine MF 121, or ill go with a ATB 840 v2 or a bk mini 160 gen 2. Time will tell. Maybe there will be something new in Iowa that will tickle my fancy.

Control will be by my trusty ol Reefkeeper elite. Works flawlessly day in and day out. So no sense chaning it out.

My thougts for now are trying to design a water change setup into the sump. I have seen one idea. But still thinking.

So any ideas post them here. Stand is about 3 weeks away. So no reason to go broke buying stuff just yet.

More to come ....
Mojo~

Last edited:

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it's not a tall tank, I did the 36" stand with a 31" tank and realized that I have the arms of a T-Rex.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope standard 75 like 21 tall.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alpha 1.
Standard 75 off shelf rimless

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as a water change system...
I've always used a very simple method that makes life 100% easier! In my sump, I have a bulkhead that leads out to a ball valve and then outside the house. Yes I had to drill a hole in the wall and seal in around it. This valve stays closed (except water change time). Inside the sump I have a 90 from the bulkhead and then I have a standpipe that goes to exactly where my water level should be! I then have my water tub plumbed over into my tank. Make sure your overflow can handle the extra gph that will be needed for the tank to drain.

For water change time. I go and open the ballvalve in the sump. And then start pumping water into the tank. Whatever water gets pushed out and down to the sump will then get drained outside. The more water you put in, the more will go out. You just have to direct the incoming water away from the overflow within the tank as to not dump that water down into the sump and then outside.

the only flaw I see in the system is that you could technically drain perfectly good water outside, but I think the ease of water changes is worth the potential loss of a couple good gallons. I was told when first getting into this hobby that It's better to make everything as easy as possible because then you will actually get into a routine of doing it. It takes me approx 5 min to do a 25 gal water change. Probably less. It used to take me about a half hour!

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as a water change system...
I've always used a very simple method that makes life 100% easier! In my sump, I have a bulkhead that leads out to a ball valve and then outside the house. Yes I had to drill a hole in the wall and seal in around it. This valve stays closed (except water change time). Inside the sump I have a 90 from the bulkhead and then I have a standpipe that goes to exactly where my water level should be! I then have my water tub plumbed over into my tank. Make sure your overflow can handle the extra gph that will be needed for the tank to drain.

For water change time. I go and open the ballvalve in the sump. And then start pumping water into the tank. Whatever water gets pushed out and down to the sump will then get drained outside. The more water you put in, the more will go out. You just have to direct the incoming water away from the overflow within the tank as to not dump that water down into the sump and then outside.

the only flaw I see in the system is that you could technically drain perfectly good water outside, but I think the ease of water changes is worth the potential loss of a couple good gallons. I was told when first getting into this hobby that It's better to make everything as easy as possible because then you will actually get into a routine of doing it. It takes me approx 5 min to do a 25 gal water change. Probably less. It used to take me about a half hour!

I have been thinking about this off and all day. I am thinking at this point of having water mixed up under the stand. Have the sump big enough so I can pull 10 gallons out while its running, and then flip a switch and pump 10 gallons back in. Not sure yet.

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's only 10 gal. I don't see it being that big of a problem, but the problem I thought about that system was how do you know when u take out EXACTLY the same that your putting back in...what if you take out 10.5 gal. and only have 10 to put back in... Thats why I went the way I did...whatever amount goes in...goes out.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I will have to do some measuring for sure. I already have the water line ran all the way over to the tank for the ato. No topping off for me.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at equipment. Has anyone looked at the sea side aquatics cs1 skimmer ? IT looks basically like a bm skimmerwith a sicce psk 600... Thats a nice pump. Ill have to take a look.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes looking forward to this baby!

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corey, Rob and I are going together. We planned on it for some time. Reserved our room in like febuary.

Ok. My first AI sol blue Came today. This will tell me if I add a second for this build or do something else. I will be using this one for now. We will see what Macna brings and go from there.

Gotta go ship out some old items I sold to help pay for some new toys. But then I ll be playing with MY ai. I can say I plugged it in with it on my lap and I dang near burned my leg. Not from the heat of the led but from the intesity of the light. wow. Intense for sure.

Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea Not a huge fan of deep blue but they have the 57g at the lfs. And it is a solid tank and looks good. They have a deal on it becuase it was scratched.But I would rather have the 75. Icould at last minute switch to the regular marineland 75 with corner overflow. But it has a frame around the top and I am not sure how it will look with the stand. Thats why I am waiting for the stand to get here first....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back