Its upgrade time again 125 gallon (48x30x20)

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mark, if you are ever in the area give me a call. Stop by.

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Ian .. Pictures are perfect!..

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which day during the week are you normally up this way for work?

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I'm a bit far though for you to make it during a day your are working up here haha.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank looks awesome, tell us more about your system what you are running please sir. things that keep it happy.... kalk, cal reactor, things you are adding= carbon and such. sure is a beauty, and did you run MH's for lighting before .

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank looks awesome, tell us more about your system what you are running please sir. things that keep it happy.... kalk, cal reactor, things you are adding= carbon and such. sure is a beauty, and did you run MH's for lighting before .

Seems like I did forget some details.
I run a schuran jetstream 1 calcium reactor w/ a cole parmer pump as a feed pump.

I run carbon and phosphate media through two different reactors feed by a maxi-jet 1200.

I also have a 1/4 hp chiller fed by a quiteone 3000 pump.

I've never run MH's on this tank, its always been t5ho only.

Last edited:

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for a little info. I had a 90 g and i tried 2 fixtures of t-5's a 8 bulb and a 4 bulb and i run mh's before that and i tell ya there was a big diffrence with the t-5's. the tank was deep and i felt the mh's was not reaching so i tried the t-5's with all new ati bulbs and i was amazed. But i had to go out of town and my comtrapsion added 5 gallons of kalk overnight ... long sorry short now i'm having too start from scratch. it killed almost everything i had, but tanks like yours keep me in the hobby

OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your problems. I hear so many disasters with kalk, which is why I will never run a kalk reactor myself.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each. T5s tend to wrap the coral with light better. Meaning there are less shadows/dark spots on the coral. The right MH's however give better color and all MHs give that shimmer.

Additional info I forgot as well is that I have 3 vortech mp40w, one koralia 2, one maxi-jet mod, and one tunze nano wave box for flow. 2 vortechs are on pulse mode creating a side to side wave. The tunze nano wave box creates a small front to back wave. The last vortech is on reefcrest full blast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple shots of my frag system that is plumbed in with my display tank.
FTS-200812201of2copy.jpg

FTS-200812202of2copy.jpg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back