I've come to a conclusion about LED's

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what my readings look like, half way down, middle of the display.

49098ecd5f22c89be84f4f43a72a5371.jpg

8352ef1b1727ac2ecc1136014b2e6261.jpg

5f50ba0ce58feda32f296f15e31b2067.jpg

21a24bf7c6ec3881458ca01eda20510a.jpg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not at all saying that LEDs are subpar growing machines. Clearly, there are very effective and successful all LED SPS systems out there, I'm not denying that. To me, what is clear is that you need many more puck style LED fixtures than the manufacturers advertise for shadow reduction... again, shadowing and coverage are two different things. Because of how expensive it is to run so many fixtures to combat the shadowing issue, the best and most economical solution to fix this IMO is T5 supplementation.

Sure, you can do a single fixture like an SB Reeflights or Reefbreeders where shadowing is reduced because diodes are spread over the entire panel of the fixture, but then you have color banding problems and disco effect, which is a whole different conversation.

I think you summed this up pretty nice. When I went from MH/VHO combo to led's...I choose the GHL Mitras fixtures. I have a ~255 gallon aquarium that is 72"Lx27"Wx30"D. The manufacturer at the time said 2 would work from the spread they had, but for my corals 3 would be sufficient with depth etc. They were proud of the spread they were getting. So I bought 3. I wasn't happy with the whole look. There was just not enough light being emitted from the fixtures, since I was coming from the MH's. So I bought another one. 4 total over my aquarium is awesome. No shadowing and all the other stuff everyone keeps writing about. NO issues and I"m super happy. its not the same as MH, but its nice. None of the different types of lighting are going to be the same. That is why there are choices.

There are multiple ways to overcome shadowing and light issues, and T5 supplements are not the only one. You can simply add another LED fixture in some cases and call it a day. Its just an option that people like and it looks nice. Geismann makes a nice fixture that allot of people should look into before they start buying fixtures if they really like t5's.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you summed this up pretty nice. When I went from MH/VHO combo to led's...I choose the GHL Mitras fixtures. I have a ~255 gallon aquarium that is 72"Lx27"Wx30"D. The manufacturer at the time said 2 would work from the spread they had, but for my corals 3 would be sufficient with depth etc. They were proud of the spread they were getting. So I bought 3. I wasn't happy with the whole look. There was just not enough light being emitted from the fixtures, since I was coming from the MH's. So I bought another one. 4 total over my aquarium is awesome. No shadowing and all the other stuff everyone keeps writing about. NO issues and I"m super happy. its not the same as MH, but its nice. None of the different types of lighting are going to be the same. That is why there are choices.

There are multiple ways to overcome shadowing and light issues, and T5 supplements are not the only one. You can simply add another LED fixture in some cases and call it a day. Its just an option that people like and it looks nice. Geismann makes a nice fixture that allot of people should look into before they start buying fixtures if they really like t5's.

All true, and he did well to sum it up. However this isn't unique to LEDs. If you have a 6 bulb T5 they'll say you need 8. You have 8 and then you need LEDs for extra pop. It never ends does it LOL.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... you never go back!
Pacific Sun hybrid here. :)
Very true. I ran purely LEDs for about the first year and decided I needed a little more coverage. DIY'd a retrofit and have now decided that all of my future tanks will have hybrid lighting.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All true, and he did well to sum it up. However this isn't unique to LEDs. If you have a 6 bulb T5 they'll say you need 8. You have 8 and then you need LEDs for extra pop. It never ends does it LOL.
Ha ha, this hobby has taught me many things. The main one being that enough is never enough :) lol it was an important realization for me (and my wife) ;)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha, this hobby has taught me many things. The main one being that enough is never enough :) lol it was an important realization for me (and my wife) ;)

I keep looking at more powerheads and I've got 60Xs capability already.

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant seem to get my wav powerheads to cut down low enough lol. Even at 1% they move the sand around unless they are aimed just right.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep looking at more powerheads and I've got 60Xs capability already.
LOL I just upgraded to two MP40s, but wanted to keep my Koralia G3... I'm still working on the configuration...

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to consider LEDs in their current form factors to be excellent MH replacements. I haven't seen many fixtures match the coverage of T5, though I haven't tried any of the T5 LED strips yet either. When we switched my 120g reef over to LED I found a lot of zoanthids that were growing up the sides of my rocks didn't do as well because they lost that T5 coverage that lights the rock from many angles. All of my corals that were directly under the LEDs did great, but it was more like I was running a MH only tank than the MH+T5 combo. My ideal light fixture would be a combination of T5 with LED though I wouldn't consider it worthwhile on a smaller tank like my current 50g.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant seem to get my wav powerheads to cut down low enough lol. Even at 1% they move the sand around unless they are aimed just right.

Wow, you must have some water movement.

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theyre at 1% now and have almost 1900 rpm. At 100% they have over 4100 rpm and makes a sandstorm in my 120. I want to turn them up, but sand wont stay down if I do.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent probably $10k on lights in the last 5 year everything from Ai hydras and radions to ATI led t5 hybrid. I was never totally happy. I finally tried a giesemann spectra with 2 400w radiums. I can finally say that my search is over. Sure Mh have their drawbacks but the light is amazing. Nothing can even come close to it.

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent probably $10k on lights in the last 5 year everything from Ai hydras and radions to ATI led t5 hybrid. I was never totally happy. I finally tried a giesemann spectra with 2 400w radiums. I can finally say that my search is over. Sure Mh have their drawbacks but the light is amazing. Nothing can even come close to it.
I dont think anyone will argue that MH is the standard that we compare everything else to because it has worked so well for so long for so many people. I guess then intent is to get that level of performance, or close enough to it, without so much heat and power consumption. Its like comparing a muscle car to a prius.

Tyler Collinske

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a hard part to is the fixtures trying to be shaped towards an aquarium. The T5 go's the length of the aquarium where the LEDs are stuck with a cone shape and to fit the length you need to over lap the light spread and still have some shadowing. I have a Radion XR15 G4 on my tank it's the Red Sea Reefer 170 42gallom Cube and it works amazing and that's cuz the cone light coverage fits my tank perfect there isn't a shadowed spot due to it covering the entire tank and then some.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a hard part to is the fixtures trying to be shaped towards an aquarium. The T5 go's the length of the aquarium where the LEDs are stuck with a cone shape and to fit the length you need to over lap the light spread and still have some shadowing. I have a Radion XR15 G4 on my tank it's the Red Sea Reefer 170 42gallom Cube and it works amazing and that's cuz the cone light coverage fits my tank perfect there isn't a shadowed spot due to it covering the entire tank and then some.

I totally agree I think your point about the cone shape dispersal dovetails with my opinion on LED on smaller tanks or at least tanks in a cube form factor. Your tank is beautiful BTW!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back