OP
OP
Richard Ivory

Richard Ivory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my weekly water change 25 litres of NSW this is week 9 so another 3 weeks and i should be all NSW, also now taken the rowaphos offline as after some help and advise i think my phos was too low to help bring the nitrate down so i have started using Tropic Marin bacto balance at 0.50 ml for week one along with by bio balls in the reactor

Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance is a mixture of selected organic compounds to promote the incorporation of nitrate and phosphate in supplementary biomass. The ratio of nutrients is ideal for corals, sponges and other invertebrate animals found in reef aquariums when nitrates and phosphates are maintained at the lowest possible levels while maintaining the important balance between these key nutrients. With its balanced composition of carefully selected organic and inorganic nutrients, Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance acts to increase the incorporation of nitrates and phosphates in additional biomass, reducing nitrate and phosphate concentrations in the water while improving coloration and growth of corals, sponges and other filter feeders. In this way, a nitrate and phosphate deficiency in the aquarium is prevented while at the same time the balance between the compounds is improved.

=========================================================================================================================================================

Nitrates and phosphates are stabilized at the lowest possible levels, especially effective when Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance is applied together with Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Pellets or NP-Bacto-Tricks.

Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance
+ promotes the incorporation of nitrate and phosphate in supplementary biomass
+ subsequent lowering of nitrate and phosphate content of water
+ improves the coloration and growth of corals, sponges and other filter feeders
+ prevents situations of nutrient deficiency
+ creates an optimal nitrate-phosphate balance
+ suitable for aquariums of all ages
+ mature tanks can be significantly resuscitated, developing a new vitality
+ easy to apply – suitable both for manual dosing and for dosing pumps

Use aof Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance:
Dosing depends on the age of the aquarium:
In the case of new and young tanks (0-1 years old*) no more than 0.25 ml per 100 l/25 US-Gal. tank content should be added per day. In tanks of a medium age (1-2 years old*) up to 0.5 ml per 100 l/25 US-Gal. can be dosed per day, whilst mature tanks (>2 years old*) can receive from 0.5 to 1 ml for 100 l/25 US-Gal. aquarium water per day. A dosage of 1 ml per 100 l/25 US-Gal. tank content per day should not be exceeded under any circumstances.

In order to enhance the effect of Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance, however, the dosage may be increased every 2 weeks by 0.25 ml per 100 liters/25 US-Gal. of aquarium water daily, in no case more than the maximum daily dose of 1 ml each 100 l/25 US-Gal. of aquarium system water volume. For best results, add Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance to a high water flow area in the tank at the beginning of the lighting cycle. Attention: A dosage of 1 ml each 100 l/25 US-Gal. of aquarium system water volume must not be exceeded. If a clouding of the tank is observed after the elevation of the dosage of Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance, the dosage should be reduced to the previous level
=========================================================================================================================================================

dosed the usual 3.0 ml of iodine as well

also my mag and calcium are still all over the place and i dont dose either yet this is so weird ,i might get two new test kits just in case

111.jpg
2222.jpg
Screenshot_20190609-110245~2.png

OP
OP
Richard Ivory

Richard Ivory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this months video i did some messing around with the intro ,and this time filmed on the ipad (still more to learn on the settings)

hopefully as well i might start to see some growth now when the bio active kicks in this month

OP
OP
Richard Ivory

Richard Ivory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done my water change and test for the week today ,but got the right hump as I am a clumsy **** ,I broke a branch of one of my small frags ,not happy but have still used the branch hopefully it will grow on
Then I noticed part of my new Trachy was under the sand bed :mad: again not happy I think it will not recover only time will tell

As for the test nitrate is deffo coming down as the colour was in between 50-25 so I called it 40
As for phosphates this has risen on purpose I might add as took the rowaphos off line last week to help the bio balls work better with the bio active and fingers crossed it is ,I will raise the bio active to0 0.75 ml a day from tomorrow and see what happens next week
Alk raised a little this week so have turned the doses back down a little as for calcium and mag I still dont dose either but I only have little frags still I have noticed this week their colours have got a lot more solid though

I know this hobby things happen over time and my tank is still very new so I don’t mind the wait

6CD152CE-0B59-4F94-8FFD-1978267451E7.jpeg

OP
OP
Richard Ivory

Richard Ivory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A411E586-C2C2-4454-96B1-E7D385B32812.jpeg
ADD9BC65-3D36-4AC5-AB0C-99592D41D256.jpeg
74B6FC4B-9B9C-4B56-982F-0BD4AEFC4B23.jpeg
287CD191-976A-44A9-8C1B-2ED10D962A0D.jpeg
F827B215-0285-4332-ABC9-42F19483AFE2.jpeg
I went to fellow reefer llast night who was selling his corals ,so I went to buy some more zoa frags
But when I got there he was selling this collany for a price I could not turn down ,he informed me it has been leant up against the back wall for the last two weeks ,as some one had bought the corals below where it was

Hopefully it will survive but to good a bargain @£20 to turn down and now I am one happy reefer

OP
OP
Richard Ivory

Richard Ivory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally NSW now so looking to try and keep everything as stable as i can from here but keeping the kh about 9 as i only have little frags and want to encourage some growth, if possible , i also think i will be starting to use calcium soon and now it has levelled out over the last few weeks

the bio active seems to be working quite well too and now dosing 1.5ml per day and my phosban has been offline for a month now and phosphate still 0.03 so really happy with this

my home made algae reactor should be going online if all goes well this week too this should help the nitrates more

1-7-19.png

tank is also 6 months old today and i am happy with where it is right now too

OP
OP
Richard Ivory

Richard Ivory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after looking at the price on what these cost ,then watching a diy video on you tube i decided to try and build my own version of the above

here are the components i bought

2 x sistema lunch boxes £10
a packet of rubber suckers £7
bubble wall air stone £5.50
foil tape £ free
heat sink metal £ 5.50
led driver £8.00
3 watt red led's x 10 £7.50
thermal glue £3.25
mesh £2
cable ties £ free
electric cable & plug £ free
air pump £20 grand total £68.75

i will be fitting to my sump this week and will up date over the next few weeks how its working or not but fingers crossed

hog1.jpg
hog2.jpg
hog3.jpg
hog4.jpg
hog5.jpg
hog6.jpg
hog7.jpg
hog8.jpg
hog9.jpg
hog10.jpg
hog11.jpg
hog12.jpg
hog13.jpg
hog14.jpg
hog15.jpg
hog16.jpg
hog17.jpg
hog18.jpg
hog19.jpg
hog20.jpg

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i decided to put two cabinets either side to house all the electrics and controllers ,so decided to make two uv bonded glass cabinets to sit inside these (as i work in the glass industry) and also wrapped the sump in a blue film

t15.jpg
t19.jpg
t16.jpg
t17.jpg
t18.jpg
t19.jpg
t20.jpg
t21.jpg
t22.jpg
t23.jpg
t10.jpg
t11.jpg
t12.jpg

Those glass cabinets are [emoji1419] and that tank is superb

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added the lights but after a few months did not like them sitting on the tanks so made a custom bracket to hang them from which in my opinion looks better

MVIMG_20190106_095754.jpg
t68.jpg
t90.jpg
t91.jpg
t92.jpg
t94.jpg
t95.jpg
t96.jpg

Omggg this is the best light hanging idea ive seen so far, how did you make this and how many screws did you use to attatch to the wall?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back