Jackie and Glenns 180g Reef Build

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still... more than 2000 posts in the thread.
There is something to celebrate, even when the timing is wrong.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After hurricane Irma update:

Power returned to my house on Tuesday. I was one of the lucky ones. Just one street away they are still without power. The eye of IRMA came right through my county but by the time it did it had weakened to a Cat 2 and we were located on the west side of the eyewall. Not so bad. We sat on the front porch most of the night watching trees sway fiercely and some falling as well as seeing the light show from transformers blowing out. My house faces due south and we were sheltered from most of the wind and blowing rain but the north side was taking quite a battering. All is well and had no serious damages :) The power coming back on did blow out 2 of my tanks Leds (one one the 45g and one of my AI's on the 180), the coffee pot, a desktop pc hard drive and something isn't right with the water softener unit. So not too terrible.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now about the 180....

Finally got to do parameter testing, the results are:
Time- 1pm
Temp- 77.5
Ph- 8.27
Sg- 1.027
No3- 10 (ouch!)
P04- .12 (ouch!)
Alk- 10.2
Ca- 445
Mg- 1380

+ cyano is present....

I'll be putting gfo back online today for sure and a wc tonight after my granddaughter goes home. I'm currently wet skimming and will also going to reduce the lighting and lighting period with no lighting at all overnight (no moonlighting).

This tank has aptasia spreading too :( I plan to "try" to catch some berghia from the 29g tonight to put in the 180. Hopefully the wrasses will not bother with them. Crossing my fingers I can catch enough of them because they are very difficult to collect. Here are a few pics I just took.
8ef699e12557a56ae484db413ec51b6d.jpg
0a71fa26dec02856d9d51f659bb48b10.jpg
21d9001c8f786b2d61fe5cdbfe4e243e.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One big loss did occur, I lost the 20L phyto/pod/macro tank :( Or only did it die but the overflow lost siphon and when the power came on the tank overflowed about 4-5g before I caught it.... Might have salt splash from that in one of the 6-way timer as well. I'll be dealing with it tomorrow after noon as it'll be the first chance I have with some time to do so.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, any updates?
Hi, thank you for asking :) The tank went through a bout of cyanobacteria, quite heavily actually. I would have treated it sooner however I had placed some berghia nudibranchs in the tank to take care of a little bit of Aptasia and I was afraid that chemiclean would kill them. Since 99% of the aptasia are gone I have treated it for cyanobacteria. The tank has leveled off and stable so far. I'm giving it a chance for the sand bed to be fully recovered before I do anything else with it. I believe the sand bed was releasing toxins and was what caused the cyanobacteria. I'd rather be safe than sorry before I add acro's back into the system again. I have been super super busy with other projects and my granddaughter that I haven't had time to actually make up my rock mix and create the bridge that I wanted to make. The form is complete but I have to have time to create the mix and clean out my old 30-gallon tank to use as a curing tank. I'm going to try to do that next weekend. Once I do the Rock Bridge and a few pieces of replacement Rock for those that I tossed the tank should be ready when they are done curing. A week later I will then start adding SPS to the system. So I'd say about a month to a month and a half ;)

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see you again. Did you see my crazy DIY remodel I'm doing? I'll link you to it.
Hi Joseph! Yes, I saw the YouTube videos. I comment on one of the newest ones just a day or 2 ago. Send me the link to your new build thread (for some reason I'm having trouble hearing some of your videos-low video volume maybe?).

Good to here :)

Yeah, it's been slow but getting there ;) Thank you!

Hope everything returns to normal soon. It is such an awesome display!
Thank you Fin :D I REALLY miss my acros [emoji29] but it's okay, I'll get more and grow them again :)

Jackie,
Thanks for the update!!!

"Super Woman" :)

Freddie
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Freddie- I wish! I need a few more hours in a day just so I can get some sleep lol

***I'll try to get some current pics of the tank tomorrow. Upon today's wc I superglued the mouths of the remaining 2 aptasia that were located at the top of one of the overflows (Hope this works) as I haven't seen any berghia in a couple of weeks.

Otherwise not much has changed other than cleaning up the cyano.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back