Jackson's Old School 200 IM Nuvo Ext

Hey @jackson6745 - nice to meet you although there is a good chance we bumped into each other years ago, on RC. I think I was at the beginning of taking a hiatus when you and @Perry were getting dialed in. Just piled through all 11 pages of your tank thread.

Thanks for sharing this journey with us. Your DT corals are looking killer! Like so many, I am an older keep-it-simple kind of guy and long-time lover of MH lighting going back to when they first started coming onto the market. Then coupling them with the old VHO actinics. When I first got into the hobby, I built a hood and ran HPS lighting inside fixtures that I made out of aluminum. The wattage was insane but not much with spectrum. Lots of experimentation going on back then. I caught the addiction bad and ended up building an addition onto my house for fish tanks. I had also designed and built a 7 foot protein skimmer made out of 4' PVC with a polycarbonate neck and collection cup. I ran a Mazzei venturi driven by a Gorman-Rupp pump. You want to talk about a lot of tank noise filling up the living/fish room. I redesigned and built 3 iterations of that skimmer settling on a 6 footer with 6" PVC. It helped that I volunteered at the Shedd Aquarium and had some smarter minds, than mine, that were always willing to share thoughts, compare ideas and give me input. Anyways, it's interesting that you're running the 400's on your DT but running LED's on your frag tank. What LED's are over your frag tank?

I've never been a big fan of BB tanks as they've always looked so, well, bare to me. I do get the pros and cons for running them on frag and grow out tanks though. I am presently in the process of figuring out what I want to do with whatever new tanks I set up. Right now, am giving serious consideration to converting my garage to a fish room. Some things are up in the air but should settle in the next couple of months.

Looking forward to following along and gleaning whatever info I can.
 
Last edited:
Hey @jackson6745 - nice to meet you although there is a good chance we bumped into each other years ago, on RC. I think I was at the beginning of taking a hiatus when you and @Perry were getting dialed in. Just piled through all 11 pages of your tank thread.

Thanks for sharing this journey with us. Your DT corals are looking killer! Like so many, I am an older keep-it-simple kind of guy and long-time lover of MH lighting going back to when they first started coming onto the market. Then coupling them with the old VHO actinics. When I first got into the hobby, I built a hood and ran HPS lighting inside fixtures that I made out of aluminum. The wattage was insane but not much with spectrum. Lots of experimentation going on back then. I caught the addiction bad and ended up building an addition onto my house for fish tanks. I had also designed and built a 7 foot protein skimmer made out of 4' PVC with a polycarbonate neck and collection cup. I ran a Mazzei venturi driven by a Gorman-Rupp pump. You want to talk about a lot of tank noise filling up the living/fish room. I redesigned and built 3 iterations of that skimmer settling on a 6 footer with 6" PVC. It helped that I volunteered at the Shedd Aquarium and had some smarter minds, than mine, that were always willing to share thoughts, compare ideas and give me input. Anyways, it's interesting that you're running the 400's on your DT but running LED's on your frag tank. What LED's are over your frag tank?

I've never been a big fan of BB tanks as they've always looked so, well, bare to me. I do get the pros and cons for running them on frag and grow out tanks though. I am presently in the process of figuring out what I want to do with whatever new tanks I set up. Right now, am giving serious consideration to converting my garage to a fish room. Some things are up in the air but should settle in the next couple of months.

Looking forward to following along and gleaning whatever info I can.


Thanks for following the journey brother 😀 . It’s great that Perry was able to get all the old RC heads back together! I didn’t post pics and and info of additional systems that I setup besides the main dispay. I have 3 other growout tanks using LEDs. One is g6 radion blues/ t5 hybrid, other is fake radion blues (a8se) /t5 hybrid, and the last is 4 AI blades (3 grow one grow). It’s a learning experience to play with all of the available acros to us under halide and these different lighting schemes.

In general, LEDs I find better for that extra layer of color….. the accent colors on so many of the popular acros today. I also find LEDs to be a lot more gentle on new additions.

I run halide because it’s visually much brighter, and I don’t lose the contrast of blue and purple corals. Whenever I get a coral settled in under the halides, it usually grows explosively. As a whole it looks more impressive than led tanks IMO, but on a coral specific basis, I get way better colors under the LEDs. Radion g6 blues are my favorite but the price is insulting.

I prefer the sand look myself, but my inspiration for my display is the older Italian and German reefs of the past. High energy tanks with all the explosive growth is the goal. Little by little getting closer but there’s always curveballs. Right now at the current growth level I think it would be impossible to provide adequate flow with sand unless it was piled up in the tank. Because of this I just kept it Bb so I don’t have to worry about that issue.

Below is a separate system 2x 110g tanks.

IMG_6408.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Thanks for following the journey brother 😀 . It’s great that Perry was able to get all the old RC heads back together! I didn’t post pics and and info of additional systems that I setup besides the main dispay. I have 3 other growout tanks using LEDs. One is g6 radion blues/ t5 hybrid, other is fake radion blues (a8se) /t5 hybrid, and the last is 4 AI blades (3 grow one grow). It’s a learning experience to play with all of the available acros to us under halide and these different lighting schemes.

In general, LEDs I find better for that extra layer of color….. the accent colors on so many of the popular acros today. I also find LEDs to be a lot more gentle on new additions.

I run halide because it’s visually much brighter, and I don’t lose the contrast of blue and purple corals. Whatever I get a coral settled in under the halides, it usually grows explosively. As a whole it looks more impressive than led tanks IMO, but on a coral specific basis, I get way better colors under the LEDs. Radion g6 blues are my favorite but the price is insulting.

I prefer the sand look myself, but my inspiration for my display is the older Italian and German reefs of the past. High energy tanks with all the explosive growth is the goal. Little by little getting closer but there’s always curveballs. Right now at the current growth level I think it would be impossible to provide adequate flow with sand unless it was piled up in the tank. Because of this I just kept it Bb so I don’t have to worry about that issue.

Below is a separate system 2x 110g tanks.

IMG_6408.jpeg

Well that room will keep you busy! I am getting anxious thinking of maintenance schedule and calendar planning, lol. Gorgeous brother ❤️ I would be broke from all the smoothies I would be buying to fuel my addiction! Anyways, plenty of excuses to be found in the reef room I suspect, such a cool hangout spot, great setup 👍

Friday, should be great times!!!
 
Well that room will keep you busy! I am getting anxious thinking of maintenance schedule and calendar planning, lol. Gorgeous brother ❤️ I would be broke from all the smoothies I would be buying to fuel my addiction! Anyways, plenty of excuses to be found in the reef room I suspect, such a cool hangout spot, great setup 👍

Friday, should be great times!!!

Can’t wait pal. If you have any specific talking points shoot me a message so I can think about it this week.


😀
 
Thank you gentlemen .

Tank and sump came delivered perfectly. Everything packed well. It’s going to drive me crazy not to have this tank in the basement so I can begin setting it up .
I’ll update once we get wet.

IMG_1984.jpeg IMG_1987.jpeg IMG_2015.jpeg
I started scrolling through your thread just now and was wondering which one of these guys is you?
 
Summer went well. The tank has been cruising a long. I ended up removing the algae scrubber since I was bottoming out on nutrients. I got my hands on a frag of Tyree Purple Monster back in July. It has settled in and really started growing. Happy to have this one back. Hopefully I can grow it out and make a frag for a back up colony :). I finally got a sheet of brown photo gel so colors are pretty much exactly what I see in person.
IMG_3636.jpeg
It would be great to see progression pics of this acro; very nice acquisition!
 
It would be great to see progression pics of this acro; very nice acquisition!

Thanks! It’s just about 4 months now. It’s growing steadily. Here’s a couple comparisons from
The first few days of having it to now.

IMG_6630.jpeg
IMG_6631.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Absolute insanity 😳
Colors, growth pattern, just next level stuff ✨️ We'll done maestro 😀

Thanks brother. Just got finished listening to you and Alan. Awesome stuff. So happy to have these discussions to lean on. Nutrition is something I overlook at times and have been paying more attention to for the last month or so. The more fatty acids that i feed, the more rich the colors and texture seem so get. Corals look like they’re dipped in Diddy oil sometimes lol
 
Last edited:
Phenomenal! I really like these, you’re gonna have some great colonies soon! Time to buy some shipping supplies, cause you’re gonna get a lot of requests

Thanks! I hope one day to share the wealth at more affordable pricing. It’s horrible that everything with a few layers of colors is chopped into nubs and sold at ridiculous rates under the guise of exclusivity.
 
It’s freezing out so I spent some time taking pics. Hope you enjoy the photobombing 🥴
IMG_7169.jpeg
IMG_7232.jpeg
IMG_7230.jpeg
IMG_7217.jpeg
IMG_7216.jpeg
IMG_7233.jpeg
IMG_7229.jpeg
IMG_7214.jpeg
IMG_7211.jpeg
IMG_7213.jpeg

Dude... smokin'!

You sure appear to have everything dialed in. That's something that's not always so easy to do, as you know.

I, too, went to watch @Perry and @coral reeftank . Saw it was nearly four hours and decided I'll have to do it when I'm up, in the middle of the night. At four hours, you know there's going to be some great info from a couple of passionate guys!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new