Jackson's Old School 200 IM Nuvo Ext

Did a podcast with @Perry on YouTube. He plans on having lots of old school hobbyists and other interesting guests weekly. If you want to kill 2 hours or skim though it, here’s the video below. You can see all the systems in there.

This Friday @Troylee will be on with his beautiful reef system. Be sure to check it out if you can.



I do have some other interesting, phenomenal minds, just like yours brother, committing to a live interview. I am super stoked to have met up with you on the live, again, you are a mentor of mine, believe it or not, and yeah, I am 20 years in to acros. I wish RC archives were more accessible as well as pictures, that darn photobucket mess is the downfall start point to RC in my opinion. Anyway, Rich is one of the proven ones, some truly and I mean truly have a blue thumb, Rich is one of those. Now, that is sort of the direction as Rich mentioned, to find those with the "blue thumb" go live, hear their story, and share any pearls. We are dropping gold bars, hopefully the heady acro lovers tune in :)
 
I’ve been tuning in, not live yet. Just watching/listening while I’m doing tank stuff. Enjoyed first two episodes and look forward to this next one! Good content so far, definitely learning from it. Learning how much I don’t know. That’s the craziest part about this hobby. I’m trying real hard and have a pretty nice tank, but man. I’m barely scratching the surface of the knowledge I could have. It’s fun!
I’m specifically diving deep into the care and requirements of Acropora. The only coral I really want anything to do with anymore. Haha

Darnit, you have been bit by the acro bug, and now, you will work tirelessly to hide your obsession from your significant other, likely have an ACRO credit card, that one that is billed to a P.O. box. Hit me up, while I am widowed bachelor, I have all the secrets to keep your addiction private, lol... JK... For real, be careful, I know of broken marriages due to this obsession, and I am not exaggerating. I knew a guy from the day, whose wife put bleach in his tank and crashed it completely, she did so out of spite for the constant attention the reef got. Sadly, he stayed with her. I would have called it quits myself. I digress....
 
Gives me something interesting to listen to on the treadmill-- thanks! 👍🏻

Heck yeah!!! Did 20 miles on the bike yesterday, freaking intense cardio, I was hustling, lol... Get it brother!!!
 
For anyone who uses KZ Fkatworm stop, check this out.

I had the bright idea to use flatworm stop as my iodine supplement over the last 6-7 weeks or so. I was dosing 3 ml per day for 300g. Well, thanks to oceamo ms ICP, I discovered an accumulation of copper. My level was 2.03, which isn’t super high, but my several prior ms ICP test were about .5 or so. That’s 4x the level in a short time. I suspected copper because the tank started to get the old school zeospur look on some corals. This didn’t make sense because my tank was running high nutrient and I even raised my lighting fixture. Colors should have been dark on these particular pieces.

I was dosing this stuff on and off at even higher dosages in the past, which makes sense to me now as to why some corals may have burned or not done well in the past. Back then I was running Ati oes tests which didn’t pick up the copper levels. A lot of old school reefers still dose this stuff not because of flatworms, because it really doesn’t do anything, but because there was always an added boost of color from it. In certain situations where a corals has an abundance of zoox, and additional of copper will lighten it up, and at the same time compromise more delicate corals. No thank you. Done with KZ secret sauce.
IMG_4308.jpeg
I just went back and checked my current cu levels from last icp.
They say this is normal?
Never really noticed but I have stopped and will run some cuprisorb. May have explained my WD that rtn'd while everything else looked good.
Screenshot_20251120_105128_Chrome.jpg
 
I just went back and checked my current cu levels from last icp.
They say this is normal?
Never really noticed but I have stopped and will run some cuprisorb. May have explained my WD that rtn'd while everything else looked good.
Screenshot_20251120_105128_Chrome.jpg
I don’t know why Ati doesn’t mark that level as elevated. It may be fine for plenty of corals, but many acros, especially tenuis are not fine at that level. Run the Cuprisorb in a reactor (in a bag) so the water forces through it. It takes a while to get this level down even with lots of water changes.
 
Great information. I just sent off my first ICP and it’s the cheap ATI test.

Next time around you should send out the MS kit if you can swing it. The oes tests don’t pick up copper and tin, iron and manganese, and more that i can’t remember right now. Essentially your whole tank could be suffering from metal toxicity and an oes kit will say “fine” lol.
 
Next time around you should send out the MS kit if you can swing it. The oes tests don’t pick up copper and tin, iron and manganese, and more that i can’t remember right now. Essentially your whole tank could be suffering from metal toxicity and an oes kit will say “fine” lol.
Gotya. I may be hooked after this one comes back and need more information! I just hope to correct any low hanging fruit like salinity being off for example.
All good information.
 
So nice I watched it twice! How long has this been setup again? What’s the jumbo table and how long did it take to grow?
Thanks! Glad you like it lol. It’s like 22 months but I restated the tank 14 months ago after getting infested with AEFW. I used a lot of the growth to fill other tanks but I don’t really show their progress. I have a few other tanks going. The addiction is real 😀
 
So nice I watched it twice! How long has this been setup again? What’s the jumbo table and how long did it take to grow?


The big table is reef raft Starfire. I have it about 18 months, it’s been cut in half already and I have another colony growing in a separate tank. This one is a fast grower.
Amazing tank!

Thank you Alan 🫶
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new