Jackson's Old School 200 IM Nuvo Ext

I am here to simply remind you that we all think you stink. You know, now that you're a YouTube star and being interviewed, someone has to keep you grounded, Richard.


(Everything is looking fantastic. Sorry for the loss oi the Orange Passion. It especially hurts when there doesn't seem to be an apparent reason.)

Haha my man! This hobby lets us know that we all stink eventually. I take pics when everything is going well because who knows how long it will last …..
 
Awesome stuff! I'm cheering for your Purple Monster to grow into a great big colony! Keep it up!

Thank you! I’m working on it. The PM is growing slow but steadily.
IMG_3691.jpeg
 
You happy to be off halide in the display tank?

I wouldn’t say happy, I really love the look of halide. But I firmly believe once a coral has become led adapted that it loses its ability to readapt back to halide. Some of the easier acros are fine with the switch, but all of the more sensitive ones would completely freeze under halide, or begin to decline. I was tired of dealing with it.
 
I wouldn’t say happy, I really love the look of halide. But I firmly believe once a coral has become led adapted that it loses its ability to readapt back to halide. Some of the easier acros are fine with the switch, but all of the more sensitive ones would completely freeze under halide, or begin to decline. I was tired of dealing with it.
could you please elaborate a little more on this and which acros had a hard time I am about to switch back to halides. I also noticed acros that grow very fast at ORA in their sunlit greenhouse grow painfully slow under LEDS compared to other acros raised under LEDs curious if anyone else noticed this.
 
could you please elaborate a little more on this and which acros had a hard time I am about to switch back to halides. I also noticed acros that grow very fast at ORA in their sunlit greenhouse grow painfully slow under LEDS compared to other acros raised under LEDs curious if anyone else noticed this.

Basically after 2 years of having led on one tank and halide on another (both plumbed together), I was able to observe many led grown frags literally not grow under halide, or take a long time to grow and usually branch out from base to start. Many times I was able to get a second frag of the same lineage to try in both tanks, or make early cuts to grow in both tanks to make an accurate comparison. Led was superior in growth and certainly added layers of colors over halide.

This can be very subjective because coral selection plays a big part here. Some of the old school faster growers don’t care where I put them. They will grow explosively no matter what. Stuff like slimers, tables, Acropora florida, Oregon tort, paletta pink tip etc. So, if you have a tank full of easier stuff, you wouldn’t know the difference and think I’m crazy for mentioning this lol.

This is frustrating to be because i absolutely love the look of halides, but it created difficulties for me with a large coral selection. A few months after switching the display to led, growth has taken off on a lot of slow growing prices like some of the tenuis, latistella, fuzzy stags, and smoothies. If I was to ever run halide again, I would treat it as supplemental, only runnning for a few hours daily for the peak, primarily relying on led for photosynthesis. I think that would give the best result. Radions and Radiums stacked would be my choice.

Just a current some current pics to keep things updated.



IMG_4035.jpeg

IMG_4056.jpeg

IMG_4057.jpeg

IMG_4065.jpeg
 
Basically after 2 years of having led on one tank and halide on another (both plumbed together), I was able to observe many led grown frags literally not grow under halide, or take a long time to grow and usually branch out from base to start. Many times I was able to get a second frag of the same lineage to try in both tanks, or make early cuts to grow in both tanks to make an accurate comparison. Led was superior in growth and certainly added layers of colors over halide.

This can be very subjective because coral selection plays a big part here. Some of the old school faster growers don’t care where I put them. They will grow explosively no matter what. Stuff like slimers, tables, Acropora florida, Oregon tort, paletta pink tip etc. So, if you have a tank full of easier stuff, you wouldn’t know the difference and think I’m crazy for mentioning this lol.

This is frustrating to be because i absolutely love the look of halides, but it created difficulties for me with a large coral selection. A few months after switching the display to led, growth has taken off on a lot of slow growing prices like some of the tenuis, latistella, fuzzy stags, and smoothies. If I was to ever run halide again, I would treat it as supplemental, only runnning for a few hours daily for the peak, primarily relying on led for photosynthesis. I think that would give the best result. Radions and Radiums stacked would be my choice.

Just a current some current pics to keep things updated.
Thank you very much for the info I guess this is why you want to sell the giesemann fixture I saw you listed? I also love the look of the halides the closest led i could find to halides was red seas led light when it first came out around 2019 i believe, dont know if they have changed it at all since then or not.
 
Thank you very much for the info I guess this is why you want to sell the giesemann fixture I saw you listed? I also love the look of the halides the closest led i could find to halides was red seas led light when it first came out around 2019 i believe, dont know if they have changed it at all since then or not.

I listed my giesemann spectra but I don’t want to sell it lol. I literally don’t respond to lower offerers just because it’s impossible to come by one this pristine with m80 ballasts. Maybe one day I’ll use it again, maybe not. Red sea led never impressed me. . Kessils in a t5 hybrid gives that old school look with the led pop. Or radion pros, or even the fake radions are awesome a8se. All can give that halide spectrum and shimmer. With a white spectrum led you don’t want to blast them with par like you would with a bluer spectrum.
 
All your acros are looking awesome, as usual. My tank still isn’t happy with sticks, so I’ll just live vicariously through your photos until it decides to stop being difficult...
 
All your acros are looking awesome, as usual. My tank still isn’t happy with sticks, so I’ll just live vicariously through your photos until it decides to stop being difficult...
Thanks Joe. Sorry to hear about your acros. I know it’s not from your lack of husbandry. If you haven’t sent out an MS-resolution ICP, do so asap. You could have a trace metal problem and tests such as triton will show NA. It’s more common than you think, and an easy fix. Tin,zinc, vanadium, copper etc. best value tests are the reef mastery pro duo from modern reef ($30 per test), or oceamo would be my second choice. Ati-ms is good as well but it doesn’t give a Doc value which I like.
 
Thanks Joe. Sorry to hear about your acros. I know it’s not from your lack of husbandry. If you haven’t sent out an MS-resolution ICP, do so asap. You could have a trace metal problem and tests such as triton will show NA. It’s more common than you think, and an easy fix. Tin,zinc, vanadium, copper etc. best value tests are the reef mastery pro duo from modern reef ($30 per test), or oceamo would be my second choice. Ati-ms is good as well but it doesn’t give a Doc value which I like.
Thanks Rich, I get a Reef Mastery pro duo from modern reef and send that out, see what comes back.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new