James404’s 280g SPS Tank

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The time has come for a new build thread! I’m super excited to get this going and sharing my build with this wonderful community!

Bit of background I guess... first reef tank was a 75g about 12 years ago. After I bought my house I had upgraded to a 225g Reef Savvy (Build Thread) but at that point in my life I just couldn’t keep up with it. I ended up selling everything and getting out of the hobby for a few years.

Fast forward to today....I have had my 80g rimless for about 2 years now (Build Thread)and have had a really rough year to say the least. I’ve decided it’s time to move on to better days and build my dream tank!

Tank Details:
Display will be custom made by Miracles:
72”x36x25 - Starphire Front and Sides - Reef Savvy Ghost Overflow - Eurobraced - Armored Seams - Black Vinyl Back. Should arrive end of April.

Sump and all other equipment are located in my unfinished basement.

Sump - Will be my existing Tideline 48

Skimmer - Super Reef Octopus 6000EXT. I’ve decided to go external recirculating on this build.

Calcium Reactor - Using my existing GEO612...will probably add a second chamber to this eventually. Carbon Doser regulator.

Return Pump - Currently using a Reeflo Swordtail...with the amount of head pressure I may need to switch to the Barracuda/Hammerhead.

Flow - 2x MP60’s - 4 MP40’s

Lighting - Going old school - 3 x 400w MH’s - Luxcore ballasts - 3 x Hamilton Cozumel Sun reflectors. Will supplement with reefbrite LED strips.

Controller - Existing 2016 Apex - Existing Alkatronic.

ATO - Existing ATK

Sand - 300lbs of Tropic Eden Reef Flakes Grand Select

Rock - Marco Rocks

That should be it for equipment for now but I will update this as necessary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ultra Aquatics

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off let’s talk about the display location. It’s going to be in my living room...but problem...there’s a closet where it will sit...will need to demo the whole thing...
F4F8B47D-DC8D-425D-BFE2-DF47CB14AD29.jpeg

853D3395-5022-4FE7-920B-8244BC53F1CB.jpeg

89B680B8-EA6A-40EB-801F-C68AA2204209.jpeg

Below is my dryer vent...going to have to relocate this to the other side of the wall behind...
0ECB0F6F-A66C-4B4B-94D8-4CA97BEAA606.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This tank will work out well. You have the right tools to be successful with coral

Bigbadfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s that blue tipped acro it looks amazing! Also sounds amazing and the closet could be a fish room????? I think the sump seems small but that depends on what your running for export but after adding all the equipment you would be limited on refugium space. You could always run other options just something to think about.

OP
OP
Ultra Aquatics

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s that blue tipped acro it looks amazing! Also sounds amazing and the closet could be a fish room????? I think the sump seems small but that depends on what your running for export but after adding all the equipment you would be limited on refugium space. You could always run other options just something to think about.

Thanks! The blue tipped acro is a Boomberry from @BoomCorals I grew it out from a small frag.

The sump is a decent size but you could be right. One good thing is since I will be switching to an external skimmer that frees up a whole second chamber in the sump for more LR or chaeto. I will see how it goes and probably will upgrade to a bigger sump eventually.

Bigbadfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The blue tipped acro is a Boomberry from @BoomCorals I grew it out from a small frag.

The sump is a decent size but you could be right. One good thing is since I will be switching to an external skimmer that frees up a whole second chamber in the sump for more LR or chaeto. I will see how it goes and probably will upgrade to a bigger sump eventually.

That’s a clean sump and looks amazing you really could run so many options.

OP
OP
Ultra Aquatics

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cant wait to keep watching the progress! These dimensions are my dream tank!
Thank you for following along!

Really nice so far. I have a miracles tank with similar size also 72x36x22 and its built like a tank for sure. You will love yours!

That’s awesome, do you have a build thread on here? Would love to see it. What lighting did you end up with?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! It’s fun watching so many people start tanks that are similar size to the one I’m waiting for. Waiting on a 74x34x24”. I might have missed it, but you’ve got a separate “fish room?” I would be interested in an external skimmer but without a fish room, seems too difficult.

OP
OP
Ultra Aquatics

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following! It’s fun watching so many people start tanks that are similar size to the one I’m waiting for. Waiting on a 74x34x24”. I might have missed it, but you’ve got a separate “fish room?” I would be interested in an external skimmer but without a fish room, seems too difficult.

Agreed, I’ve been searching through here for builds of similar size for inspiration. Thanks for following along!

All equipment is located in my unfinished basement. I think there was a little confusion in the thread about the closet I posted. That closet is actually getting completely torn down. The display will then be located where it was.

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for following along!

That’s awesome, do you have a build thread on here? Would love to see it. What lighting did you end up with?
No. I dont. Maybe I'll start one. I have like 4 tanks plumb to it. I'm using ATI hybrid with 2 reefbrite over the miracles...looking more to your build.

20200209_175213.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back