Jammed ReefMat 1200

FishyLips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefMat 1200 troubleshooting for a Jam.

I have mentioned in my build thread that the space in the cabinet of my RS XXL 625 was tight-fitting for the ATO, recommended Skimmer and recommended ReefMat. After performing minor maintenance for a clogged ATO tube/float, I caused the ReefMat to Jam. I saw the error, manually ran the spool using the app, and although the LED indicated was blinking initially, it went away. I woke later that night to running water noise and found what is in the attached video. I made some adjustments, partially filled the ATO since it was about 1/2 inch from the bottom, and the blinking light went away.
- I think that I pushed the ReefMat too close to the ATO reservoir and maybe stopped the back spool from turning.
- It may also be that the back spool is have and had trouble turning.
- I also spun the front spool manually, and using the app.
- I increased the spool advance length.

The Jam indicator began again as I was writing this post. I do think that the spool may be too heavy. I decreased the advance length to make the roll last longer, but did add more fish since then (new tank). Still this is my second roll change in 4 months. I still have about 1/8" left on the current roll (7 meters left according to the app. Seems like a waste, but I'll replace it and increase the spool advance length to see how long it will last on the new spool. Water overflow ReefMat.jpg

Attachments

• Jammed ReefMat 1200.mov
    16.3 MB

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Mine jammed once because it was sticking to the sides where it comes up. But in my situation I think it was because is a slimy bacteria I’m fighting. I released the front and back rolls and fed some through to get it free. Than I didn’t have a problem again. But yes need to make sure there is clearance everywhere.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @HankstankXXXL750 - if your alignment is off in the slightest, it can easily jam. What I've been doing (unofficially) is to take a 6" strip of green painting tape to align the fleece completely straight on the waste spool.

I think Red Sea needs to also look at upgrading the motor on the 1200 - it's not powerful enough for the larger fleece rolls. Adding a bunch of small bumps to the waste spool spindle for grip wouldn't hurt, either (I've had 2/6 rolls jam/end prematurely because of alignment/slipping issues).

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree with @HankstankXXXL750 - if your alignment is off in the slightest, it can easily jam. What I've been doing (unofficially) is to take a 6" strip of green painting tape to align the fleece completely straight on the waste spool.

I think Red Sea needs to also look at upgrading the motor on the 1200 - it's not powerful enough for the larger fleece rolls. Adding a bunch of small bumps to the waste spool spindle for grip wouldn't hurt, either (I've had 2/6 rolls jam/end prematurely because of alignment/slipping issues).
Wow that’s a lot. I run 3 1200’s and my only issue has been the one time. But they are running through a lot of fleece.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s a lot. I run 3 1200’s and my only issue has been the one time. But they are running through a lot of fleece.
I'm averaging 70-80" per day on my one 1200 (not sure how that compares with your usage). I know one roll wasn't wound properly from Red Sea (slight kink/angle) and another probably wasn't perfectly aligned by me.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm averaging 70-80" per day on my one 1200 (not sure how that compares with your usage). I know one roll wasn't wound properly from Red Sea (slight kink/angle) and another probably wasn't perfectly aligned by me.
I’m running like 60” in my reef, 90” in my FOWLR and not bear as much in my fallow mixed reef. Don’t know if it’s because I’m not feeding that tank, but I turn off all my return pumps for 45 minutes when I feed so do t think food has anything to do with it.

OP
OP
F

FishyLips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow-up
I did it again, trying to save usage/money on the rolls, I limited the advance length to 1-1.5 cm and now I am experiencing several jams. I am manually advance the roll to get the most out of it for now until I change the roll. There is still 25m left!
I will plan for monthly roll changes and keep a supply on hand to meet the demand.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Follow-up
I did it again, trying to save usage/money on the rolls, I limited the advance length to 1-1.5 cm and now I am experiencing several jams. I am manually advance the roll to get the most out of it for now until I change the roll. There is still 25m left!
I will plan for monthly roll changes and keep a supply on hand to meet the demand.
If you are able to free the roll up (it kind of sticks to the side) and advance to all new felt I would think it will advance from there on.

Back