Partner member 2021
R2R Excellence Award
- Feb 13, 2011
- Reaction score
Welcome to the Reef2Reef POTM Contest - Photo of the Month
Sponsored by Avast Marine!
This month's subject - Macro shot
Deadline to Enter: Jan 31, 2021 at 11:59 pm (EST)
Looking forward to another quality POTM this month and expecting amazing pictures from all to do your corals or fish justice! Remember, the photo has to have been taken by you, and the subject has to be in your aquarium.
This is a photo contest after all and we're looking for the best photograph. Yes, you can use a post-editing product to better your pictures. In fact, we encourage it.
- Macro shots are demanding shots as shooting close to a subject or at high magnification simply magnifies all imperfections in the subject or the technique.
- Motion blur is a major challenge to macro photography, stabilizing your camera on a quality tripod, shooting with fast shutter speed and fast ISO will help you avoid blur. also decreasing or stopping flow in your tank might help avoid subject motion in your shot.
-Depth of field might be a challenge with macro shots or an artistic aim where you can chose to have all of your subject in full focus or to blur part of it or the background behind it. all choices have their merit and it goes down to wht you believe is the best way to showcase your subject.
-Noise with the use of fast shutter speed to freeze movement and higher ISO needed you risk having noise in the picture, for this make sure to shoot with the most light possible, expose your shot properly in camera as correcting exposure in post processing can cause noise, don't overdo ISO to avoid noise.
-composition avoid having your subject int eh dead center of the image and try to play with composition and having yourr subject off-centered for a more dynamic shot.
As always refer to the multiple photography articles or post any questions you might have on the photography forum for better support. Maybe also post a few pictures for suggestions and critique to improve your shots wile preparing for this months contest as well.
Prize: POTM Winner Banner, one year free Premium Membership and an Avast Marine Porthole courtesy of Avast Marine. Details below. (Note: Winners located outside the United States will be responsible for applicable shipping costs)
How To Enter:
Entering is easy, just a few simple guidelines to follow:
- Enter ONE photo, taken by you of the subject for the month before the deadline
- If you enter a second photo, it will be deleted so choose wisely before posting your entry
- Multiple entries, off subject photos, or broken image links will be disqualified
- Entries must be submitted before the deadline
- Photo must be taken by you and in your tank
- You must have an avatar uploaded when you enter
- Prior winner (within the last 6 months) are welcome to enter, but not eligible for the prizes
- In order to qualify to win the Avast Marine Porthole you must also like the Avast Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/avast.marine/
The mod team will select up to 15 finalists and a poll will be created and posted in the Reef Discussion Forum. The Grand Prize Winner will be determined by Reef2Reef member voting. To be eligible to vote, you must have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Votes by members not meeting this criteria will be disregarded in the final count. In the case of a tie, the mod team will assist in choosing the winner. Rules, deadlines and terms are subject to change, without notice, at any time. The winner will be posted and tagged in the voting poll and will have 48 hours to claim the prize.
As this is a photography competition, and the goal is to recognize the highest quality picture. So take your time, do your post shot editing, and submit your best image.
#POTM, #POTMWinners, #MODS, #RS