Jar of Rocks

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No hard evidence of this just yet. I am fairly certain it was dinos i had before i didnt put it under a scope or anything but just going off pictures around the forum here.
Is whatever you had coming back?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that coral w be fine I bet, all looks norm

When I clean my tank out for cyano, some might remain, its nbd just hand guide it out because you can, that makes use of the size of your container. we didnt use strong cleaning for the rocks, it was saltwater splashing

so for some cells on there to remain is ok. expected

now, when you reach in a siphon hose to spot-remove any growths that are expected since they were amassed 48 hours ago, you get zero clouding when working in the tank.

we rip cleaned to align for future cleaning access, not stirring around a 90% mass invader etc.

if dinos got in, the number one scourge in reefing, and you have to work a bit, that's no prob

in reading the big dinos thread, how many would have appreciated having your tank's looks 48 hours after they posted :)

Im reading some in there who had to take down due to the invasion, and the hands-off rule.

reefing is cyclic, cleaning is cyclic we just try and get as far out as we can.

rip cleaning causes zero tradeoff invasions. in the dinos thread of 200 pages, how many report GHA new invasions-hundreds. written right in the posts. but large tanks cant do the flip that you just did, so they pretty much have to take chances on param adjustments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say but it has only been a few days and lights have been out for a bit and dinos retract with no light (i think?) Ill keep you posted if anythings starts looking ***** again but even if it does ill scrub out on a weekly basis if i have to. Like brandon said its a perk to only have a 2 gallon tank. I did add a sexy shrimp today he has since disappeared and i feel like i will be hard pressed to find it again but we shall see. I held off on adding any more coral just want to make sure what i have is straight first. On another note my mushroom has split 3 times over the last month so it is not in the least bit bothered by anything that is happening lol hopefully it will refrain from taking over the tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and truly the takedown cleaning wont be required a while, get a cheap half inch diameter siphon hose and just regular water change it out. the takedown isn't harsh but you just bought some real time before the next one, even your glass cleaning work will lessen.

the number one thing is dont let dinos re amass, siphon them out with a 50% change and paper towel wipe up the inside of the glass if some are stuck on there. Those rascals are mean and hard to beat agreed.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for sure. I havent touched the glass since i did the clean Tuesday evening.

If they are Dino’s, you want your nutrients up to increase the number of competitors PO4 0.05-0.1 and NO3 5-10

While lights are out, you may also want to dose a little peroxide. Take a look at Dino thread, sometimes it helps.

A new piece of live rock with lots of life (feather dusters,coralline,algae,bacteria) is a really good addition, and will help increase the diversity in the tank.

good luck. It’s a really cool tank.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are Dino’s, you want your nutrients up to increase the number of competitors PO4 0.05-0.1 and NO3 5-10

While lights are out, you may also want to dose a little peroxide. Take a look at Dino thread, sometimes it helps.

A new piece of live rock with lots of life (feather dusters,coralline,algae,bacteria) is a really good addition, and will help increase the diversity in the tank.

good luck. It’s a really cool tank.
Thanks i really appreciate that. I didnt think to see if the LFS i was just at to see if they had any live rock for sale or not. Maybe next time since my rock is pretty new still with the exception of the rock that the mushrooms are on that one has been salty since June. I will keep an eye out for anything that rears its head over the next few days.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is where im at after the weekend. This torch is pestering me. I just spot fed some rods coral blend with my bubbler off for about 20 mins. It was extended q little more than this when the lights came on and shrunk to this after i fed it. I plan for a water change in an hour or 2 but im wondering if it is getting too much light. It hasnt done well since i transfered the tank to my desk. Right now the light is about 8 inches from the water surface but i have a lid im sure that affects PAR a good bit right? Zoas are stagnant staying pretty much how the picture shows them all day. I think i will tuck them in a little bit of shade see if that makes a difference for them. All ears for ideas.

20201109_091946.jpg 20201109_091941.jpg 20201109_091938.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks sharp, I'd place lps frag away from direct light and make it work to get a few weeks

The rods is perfect it will bring everything back. Even if the coral didn't seem to directly eat the two hours in feed water will get what it needs, then changed back out for no system rot

Added this to our rip clean threads nice one.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That frag is glued down do you think it would be easier to maybe diffuse the light a little or would it be worth it to break it off and move it? I can put a piece of white tissue paper across it to dampen it down a little.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere online is me stacking pennies over glass lid on the spots directly above sps frags that were right under my glass lid :) or a little tear of electrical tape right over it etc works fine to shade

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill work something like that out and give it some time see if that helps. Water change is done perks of a tiny tank it takes no time at all for a water change :cool: , now we wait...

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch is still not happy idk if im being impatient or what but feel like after feed and water change on Monday i should see some sort of improvement. I did move my light up a few inches yesterday morning. I found a par chart that someone had posted about the levels of the bulb i am using and i was blasting the tank with par even with loosing some because of the lid. Im wondering if i should pull it and dip it see if anything shakes out. I just dont want to loose it it looked good for awhile then after i moved my tank to my office it hasnt done well since.

On another note my sexy shrimp seems to be getting around ok and i see its first molt floating around so i guess its happy enough.

20201111_090556.jpg 20201111_090610.jpg 20201111_090605.jpg 20201111_090621.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will never know if the shrimp picks at the coral at night for its fare and feeding mucus, happens often with thors it’s why they are booted from my vase.

any time a single coral is acting up but the rest are fine reflects well on the tank...why not just reposition him under a rock for a while break the mount, keep the general focus for the reef since the reef as a whole works sharply. Molting w be driven nicely by the rods feed and nutrient in/out but if that shrimp smells food in lps feeder tentacles at night, chomp.

those rascals pulled the mesenteries out of my acan I caught em 3 am lol. U should add more coral so we have health gauges in place

a candy coral caulastrea colony would be perfect there, any small brain coral frag as well. That type of upgraded feeding will run any typical lps.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will never know if the shrimp picks at the coral at night for its fare and feeding mucus, happens often with thors it’s why they are booted from my vase.

any time a single coral is acting up but the rest are fine reflects well on the tank...why not just reposition him under a rock for a while break the mount, keep the general focus for the reef since the reef as a whole works sharply. Molting w be driven nicely by the rods feed and nutrient in/out but if that shrimp smells food in lps feeder tentacles at night, chomp.

those rascals pulled the mesenteries out of my acan I caught em 3 am lol.
Ill be sure to keep an eye out for that if i can but i try not to be in the office at 3am lol. Torch was like this before i added the thor so im not sold for that just yet. Although when i fed i did squirt a bit right in his direction to try and avoid that. Ill give it a go drop the torch down in the sand and give it a little shade see what comes of it. Im tempted to do a dip but i dont see anything concerning like signs of infection or anything i dont want to irritate it further for no reason.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed I’ve never dipped any coral ever. Had a flatworm nightmare from that once tho.

agreed on relocation and do nothing special for a week see if we get lucky. Having some other lps to gauge too would be nice, justifies some more buying yay

dont burn em, down low initially then move up

the tissue from the polyp still extends down the base. Things are only bad when that pulls up even with the top. It’s mad now but not nitrogen - negative mass it’s still healthy per that extension detail.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking pretty meh. I did my feed and waterchange yesterday that went fine my zoas are opened a little more than they were before the water change but still not fully open.

Two things i have been thinking that torch was doing fine when i had the lawn mower blenny in there that fish was too big tho so had to get it out of there and torch seems to be doing poorly since (my timeline is a little fuzzy on that but it sure is a coincidence). Other thought is i use the pre-made saltwater from petco maybe i got q poor batch last time (time table for this is also a little fuzzy not 100% sure if this lines up with when this started).

Idk i keep plugging along i have my eye out at my store for a clown goby i really want one of those. I hate to throw more coral in if they are doing poorly...

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as advized by @brandon429 i switched up my saltwater methods. I was using the imagitarium premade saltwater form petco purely for the convenience, but we are thinking there may be something lacking in the water quality there. So i picked up a bag of IO purple bag and a few gallons of distilled form the store and just mixed up a 4 gallon batch (probably last a few weeks) it is currently warming up so i can do a switch before the weekend. I did throw some rods food in just a broadcast so that my hermits and thor can eat. Hopefully i can do the change here shortly. I will keep everyone posted on how things go. Hoping for the best.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what we look like after a little better than a week in fresh mixed IO water. I changed the water on 11/20 and then again on 11/24. I want to qdd another LPS of some sort to see how that does since this torch has been in here the whole time i am not sure if it is still recovering or maybe i still have something not quite right. I am not 100% sure it isnt a lighting issue at this point. We have quality water quality food what else could be going on? Ill do a feed and water change tomorrow and report back.

Attachments

• 20201130_091344.jpg
    20201130_091344.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 41

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back