Jar Tank

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to try something new and easy and I saw someone keeping an aptaisa in a jar. So I started one got an aptaisa a few pieces of live rock and sand and some chaeto with pods in a jar.
So far the inhabitants are
  • aiptasia
  • amphipods
  • isopods
  • flatworms
  • tisbe pods

I am wondering what else I could put in there.
In theory all I should have to add to the system is a pellet or two a day light and a little bubbler.
Pictures are coming soon:)

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool idea , Is this primarily for the apastia? Brandon I think "The sand bed one against many "can give You good advice . As he has a jar aquarium . I would think if fed "lightly" & weekly water changes would be OK .
Please let us know how this works out .

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will work great and the expected life span exceeds 27 years or better lol not joking. Keep the jar bubbled and relatively heated, ban all nerf play nearby, it’ll last for good even on windowsill light lol get all fancy and shine a $25 abi tuna light off amazon and keep Jason fox monti in it

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right here are the pictures.:)
upload_2019-5-16_9-20-18.png
upload_2019-5-16_9-20-53.png
I don't know if you can see it but their is an amphipod in one of these pictures.
upload_2019-5-16_9-21-9.png
upload_2019-5-16_9-20-29.png

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool idea , Is this primarily for the apastia? Brandon I think "The sand bed one against many "can give You good advice . As he has a jar aquarium . I would think if fed "lightly" & weekly water changes would be OK .
Please let us know how this works out .
Not primarily for the aptaisa but yes right now since it is the most interesting thing in there.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a gallon jar set aside for a lucky aptasia, so I'm glad you started a build thread so I can follow along. I like the addition of macro algae in your jar.
The macro algae has two reasons for being in their first it provides oxygen and second food for critters such as snails or pods.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update I went to the store to get live rock and found about 3-5 aiptasia there which they generously sold them to me for 2$. I was in a rush when I got home and didn't have time to put them in the jar so I put them in my DT and apparently they can move. I found one that moved I don't know if their are any others. I also added two tiny Hermits two the jar and bristle worms from the live rock.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update I went to the store to get live rock and found about 3-5 aiptasia there which they generously sold them to me for 2$. I was in a rush when I got home and didn't have time to put them in the jar so I put them in my DT and apparently they can move. I found one that moved I don't know if their are any others. I also added two tiny Hermits two the jar and bristle worms from the live rock.

I know I’m going to get blasted for this but I’d pull the hermits if I was you. A jar is really not an ideal habitat for these curious and social creatures. Even if there are 2 of them. I’d stick to macro algae and the aiptasia.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I’m going to get blasted for this but I’d pull the hermits if I was you. A jar is really not an ideal habitat for these curious and social creatures. Even if there are 2 of them. I’d stick to macro algae and the aiptasia.

No blasting here (not that I would blast you even if I disagreed! :)). I would also not recommend keeping marine hermit crabs in a jar.

@MombasaLionfish - congratulations on the build thread badge! This build is the best use of aiptasia that I have ever heard of!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back