Jawbreaker dying help!!

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help please, I kept my jawbreaker mushroom in my pico tank and the auto top off broke and dumped a lot of water into it 2 days ago. Salinity was low to the point of 1.010 The mushroom now look like it’s burnt and it detached from the rock. filament are escaping from the foot and it is super mushy, though not decayed yet. Is there anything I can do to save it? Maybe a coral dip? I did saw some of the filament go back in. The mushroom is dime sized

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures please.
What lights are you using? What’s the salinity now.

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures please.
What lights are you using? What’s the salinity now.
Put it back into my DT now. Sitting at 1.026 low flow low light.
This is what it looks like now
7AE8859C-59ED-4FA3-8024-E96E7EF89FE7.jpeg

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.. not a expert in these. If it were me I would just give it a little more light a fleave it alone but I’m no expert

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i was checking this out earlier.
OP did exactly what I would have suggested in getting parameters back to where they where before accident.
Unfortunately Jawbreakers have been the most picky, sensitive mushrooms for me.
I think they do best in well established, super stable conditions with lower nutrient levels.
I'm interested in other parameters now like Nitrates and Phosphates? Perhaps Ammonia reading as well. Sounds like a 100% water change happened here as well?
Probably would have added some fritz if that was the case.
Most can probably do now is just hope it rebounds and keep things as stable as possible and hope it recovers.
If it does other actions can be taken later to help it along.

Hows it looking now @KevinC ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Set up a bucket using salt and RO water and get it in there but be sure to acclimate it to bucket, then get the tank GRADUALLY back to desired salinity and acclimate it back to tank

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help please, I kept my jawbreaker mushroom in my pico tank and the auto top off broke and dumped a lot of water into it 2 days ago. Salinity was low to the point of 1.010 The mushroom now look like it’s burnt and it detached from the rock. filament are escaping from the foot and it is super mushy, though not decayed yet. Is there anything I can do to save it? Maybe a coral dip? I did saw some of the filament go back in. The mushroom is dime sized
Mushrooms will spit filaments when stressed and it defientely got stressed. The fact they receded is a good sign.

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i was checking this out earlier.
OP did exactly what I would have suggested in getting parameters back to where they where before accident.
Unfortunately Jawbreakers have been the most picky, sensitive mushrooms for me.
I think they do best in well established, super stable conditions with lower nutrient levels.
I'm interested in other parameters now like Nitrates and Phosphates? Perhaps Ammonia reading as well. Sounds like a 100% water change happened here as well?
Probably would have added some fritz if that was the case.
Most can probably do now is just hope it rebounds and keep things as stable as possible and hope it recovers.
If it does other actions can be taken later to help it along.

Hows it looking now @KevinC ?
I suppose it’s close to a 100% water change? But the tank water in my pico is from display tank anyway. Yea they are sensitive. Even my OG bounce bounced back. I’m praying the detached filament can grow me a mushroom LOL.
To be honest this one seems like a goner but I’d still like to try to save it. The pic attached before is the most recent.

what’s fritz?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it’s close to a 100% water change? But the tank water in my pico is from display tank anyway. Yea they are sensitive. Even my OG bounce bounced back. I’m praying the detached filament can grow me a mushroom LOL.
To be honest this one seems like a goner but I’d still like to try to save it. The pic attached before is the most recent.

what’s fritz?
Fritz 9 is bottle bacteria. I keep a bottle around in case of emergencies and have to do large water changes. Never had an ammonia spike using it. Or cloudy water that comes along with huge water changes.

Had a very similar situation happen when I overdosed my system with Nitrates.
Don't give up on it yet you never know.
But you could be in for the long haul getting it back healthy again.
Or it could totally bounce back too.
OG bounces are super hardy. Most bounces are.
Total different ball game with Jawbreakers though

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz 9 is bottle bacteria. I keep a bottle around in case of emergencies and have to do large water changes. Never had an ammonia spike using it. Or cloudy water that comes along with huge water changes.

Had a very similar situation happen when I overdosed my system with Nitrates.
Don't give up on it yet you never know.
But you could be in for the long haul getting it back healthy again.
Or it could totally bounce back too.
OG bounces are super hardy. Most bounces are.
Total different ball game with Jawbreakers though
Thanks. I had no idea jawbreaker are so much more sensitive honestly, I assume the size have to do with it too. But this one just looks so good and special :( I pray it survives (tho most likely won’t)

I have dr Tim one for all, should I dose it into the tank?
E69CF6B8-86E4-42F5-BE2F-B0F2DFF0E06A.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had no idea jawbreaker are so much more sensitive honestly, I assume the size have to do with it too. But this one just looks so good and special :( I pray it survives (tho most likely won’t)

I have dr Tim one for all, should I dose it into the tank?
E69CF6B8-86E4-42F5-BE2F-B0F2DFF0E06A.jpeg
No i wouldnt do much else. Ammonia spike usually happen fast and go away just as quick.
Have you checked your parameters since massive water change? I'd monitor it and try to keep things stable.
Thats a very nice shroom. Almost looks like a version of electus bounce lol.
Did you buy it as Jawbreaker?
Is that picture before the crash?
Hope it recovers for you.
And no i don't believe size matter with Jawbreakers. I think they are just a more picky species of shrooms that require alot more love and attention lol.

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i wouldnt do much else. Ammonia spike usually happen fast and go away just as quick.
Have you checked your parameters since massive water change? I'd monitor it and try to keep things stable.
Thats a very nice shroom. Almost looks like a version of electus bounce lol.
Did you buy it as Jawbreaker?
Is that picture before the crash?
Hope it recovers for you.
And no i don't believe size matter with Jawbreakers. I think they are just a more picky species of shrooms that require alot more love and attention lol.
Yup! It’s from a local reefer. Quite pricey... water quality is the best since it’s a sps dominant tank. Yea this was before the crash

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows this looking today?
As far as I can tell, no improvements. However it is still not slimming extremely like what you would normally see with a dying mushroom/Yuma. Maybe it have one or two days left :/

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that! Wouldn't count it out yet. I basicly Nuked my Jawbreakers with Nitrates and they all looked worse than yours honestly.
I know salinity is a different ball game but you never know.
Did it detach foot? Is it in low light low flow area?

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that! Wouldn't count it out yet. I basicly Nuked my Jawbreakers with Nitrates and they all looked worse than yours honestly.
I know salinity is a different ball game but you never know.
Did it detach foot? Is it in low light low flow area?
Yup, low flow low light.
How did u nuke with nitrate btw? I was thinking of dosing nitrate!

I used to keep my nitrate at 40. Amazing growth for softies and zoa but that was just something that happen in my old tank, in fact this is why I set up the pico tank. To have a tank for mushroom only and to replicate the 40 nitrate that I had before

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, low flow low light.
How did u nuke with nitrate btw? I was thinking of dosing nitrate!

I used to keep my nitrate at 40. Amazing growth for softies and zoa but that was just something that happen in my old tank, in fact this is why I set up the pico tank. To have a tank for mushroom only and to replicate the 40 nitrate that I had before
Faulty API test kit. Just kept dumping Nitrates in before I realized what was happening. Took almost full water change on 160 gallon system to even get Nitrates to read on red sea kit... astronomical high.
I'm running an all shroom system. All my shrooms basicly shriveled up, lost bounces but bounces bounced back after initial huge water change.
Been nursing my only JB back to life ever since.

Back