Jawfish rubble

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to buy a small live rock and smash it with a hammer to make rubble for my jawfish.

How finely should I crush it.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dusky jawfish and he always searches the tank for rubble. My jaw fish is prob 3 inches (maybe 4) and he takes sizes from a finger nail to the size of a quarter (even bigger). Take that as you will, as long as its not boulder sized, it should suit the fish's needs.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow jawfish moves pieces up to 1/2"maybe even bigger, I would say 1/8" to 1/2". They like small shells too.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course my plans failed. If he had dug anywhere but where he did he would have found stuff. He went to the corner where the sand bed is thinnest and cleanest and started digging by a large shell fragment.

So I decided to help him out.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course my plans failed. If he had dug anywhere but where he did he would have found stuff. He went to the corner where the sand bed is thinnest and cleanest and started digging by a large shell fragment.

So I decided to help him out.

He'll probably move a few times. I routinely add rubble/shells. He uses all of it.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 4” black jawfish doesn’t move much rock rubble around but has stole a couple frags. I have a 3-4 inch sand bed where he hangs out. He doesn’t move much from that spot and looks akward when he does move about the tank only at night. Dustin

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago when I had a male and female BSJF, my male moved next to the female and created a very large den using everything in site including a nice acan frag that is shown below. Which he ended up burying
BSJF Flashing male (2).jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is building a house and is eating well now. It was iffy for a while. He built his house where my foxface was sleeping at night. They seem to have worked things out.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 4” black jawfish doesn’t move much rock rubble around but has stole a couple frags. I have a 3-4 inch sand bed where he hangs out. He doesn’t move much from that spot and looks akward when he does move about the tank only at night. Dustin
I was thinking of getting a jawfish but I did not want to have my entire tank with a 5 inch sand bed. Have you been successful with having a deep area?

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting a jawfish but I did not want to have my entire tank with a 5 inch sand bed. Have you been successful with having a deep area?
My sand bed varies from 1” to 4”+. It gets blown around buy my flow. My black cap will bring more sand to his spot if he wants. He’s always up front here cool fish.
A76CC67F-8650-433D-9A3D-BA92EB49254E.jpeg

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair would use any rock they could pick up, which was up to about an inch. They would try bigger things too. I put in a lot of Seachem Matrix for them and they always used it all within a day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back