JBJ 30G Rimless Aquarium Build

atlorange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. I am going to get one from LFS tomorrow. To upgrade my cadlight 8 to. Just a couple of months has told me I should have gone bigger. Not sure whiich light I will use yet.

OP
OP
Tek

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched from Rowaphos to the BRS HC GFO and 2 of the SPS are not happy. PE has been reduced as well on some other SPS. I went with the 3tbs recommendation from the BRS calculator and since I was going from using one GFO to another it shouldn't have made a difference but it has. I reduced flow from the reactor instead of removing the GFO along with a water change. PO4 is at .02 for the past few weeks before and after changing to the BRS HC GFO.

I am considering biopellets since it is working great in my 70G and SPS colors are looking great.

Last edited:

margdyla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! Good inspiration for me. Thank you for all of your help thus far. Those zoas look great and so does the clam...how big is he?

OP
OP
Tek

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Aquascape is awesome

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Loving it. Nice clean look

Everything looks awesome. I'm picking up this same tank tomorrow. Excited!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Looks good! You've came a long way!

Awesome tank. I am going to get one from LFS tomorrow. To upgrade my cadlight 8 to. Just a couple of months has told me I should have gone bigger. Not sure whiich light I will use yet.

Awesome!! Good inspiration for me. Thank you for all of your help thus far. Those zoas look great and so does the clam...how big is he?

Great looking reef :) love the scape!

Thank you everyone! This is as much for my documentation as to help others with ideas. More to come this year!

OP
OP
Tek

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night time shot as the royal blues ramp down.
10 various zoas glued around the rock. It will be a nice top down shot once they fill in.

OP
OP
Tek

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my corals/fish daily and still have 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates. SPS are turning pale and I lost a few frags while other SPS are full of PE and growing fast.
I am shutting off the skimmer for the time being and doubling up on the feedings.

Pumbooris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my corals/fish daily and still have 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates. SPS are turning pale and I lost a few frags while other SPS are full of PE and growing fast.
I am shutting off the skimmer for the time being and doubling up on the feedings.

Are you still running your gfo too?

OP
OP
Tek

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still running your gfo too?

I removed the carbon and GFO completely a week ago. Phosphates were back up to .02 due to the extra feeding but I still noticed STN on a few SPS. I will only use GFO from now on if it climbs out of control. Even with such a small water volume the tank has settled in and high nitrates are never a problem. I am also fighting patches of bryopsis algae which came in on some new frags.

nanoreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank looks super clean and nice little reef! I'm going to be getting the 45 in few weeks after I move out. I can't wait very excited. I will be making a thread too keep an eye on it! U sold me on this tank when I saw yours;)Thanks

OP
OP
Tek

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank looks super clean and nice little reef! I'm going to be getting the 45 in few weeks after I move out. I can't wait very excited. I will be making a thread too keep an eye on it! U sold me on this tank when I saw yours;)Thanks

Thank you! The 45G will be awesome and I will keep a look out for your thread. I am thinking about redoing the aquascape and making it less cluttered.

OP
OP
Tek

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the problem with my tank. It was not the GFO, Carbon, or Purigen but those did not help when nutrients went low. I ramped up the lighting to increase growth and try to get more color due to some suggestions from other SPS reefers. It worked great for the first month and growth was phenomenal but the corals used up the N03 and P04 faster than was being input into the tank. NO3 and P04 dropped to 0 and some SPS started to STN, less PE, pale colors. I chased parameters which had been extremely stable but it was a mixture of issues.

Fix:
Removed all chemical filtration, increased fish and coral feeding, reduced lighting.

STN has stopped and colors are starting to return on some of the bleached corals. CA intake nearly ceased and ALK use dropped but is starting to go back up. The tank is at .01-.02 NO3 and .03 P04 even with the extra feedings and no chemical filtration. I added carbon back in to clear up the water but it seems as if I will not need GFO unless it goes out of control. Bi-weekly water changes seem to be enough along with the skimmer.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 32.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back