JCOLE's Big Box of Rocks

Busy weekend. Finished and painted the drywall. Will add another coat and hopefully painting will be finished. Set up the new sump in the garage and running old tank water and live rocks through it at the moment in hopes of seeding before plumbing in the new tank. Installed and programmed new Apex and Trident.

Hooked up the canister filter to the sump but will end up removing the filter and replacing it with a Bashsea 6-18 media reactor. It has been a while since I ran a canister filter and I forgot that it pulls from the intake and with it being at the same level as the sump, it is giving me issues. I have a pump pushing water into the canister filter, which works but it still develops air in the filter over time.

Acid washed 200lbs of rock. Most rock looks good but some will need a second bath to really open them up.

20250308_131720.jpg
20250309_121158.jpg



The acid pulls out some nasty stuff

20250309_122118.jpg


The tank is in and ready for me to pick up on Thursday. I will focus on building the stand this weekend and plumbing. Hopefully, by next weekend I can move the tank in and start setting it up.
 
Update over the last month.

500 sold and area in red is where the new tank is going

20250223_210048 -edit.JPG


Removed and finished drywall

20250308_111907.jpg


Built stand, Drylocked the drywall and stand and painted the wall behind the tank black

20250328_205720.jpg


180 arrived

20250313_180527 - edit.jpg


The tank is installed and filled with water to leak test. So far so good

20250330_195257.jpg


Working on plumbing under the stand tonight. After plumbing, then I will focus on building the canopy and skinning the bottom of the stand. The goal is to have the tank look like it was framed into the wall. Aquascape after that. Still a lot of work to do but it is getting there.
 
Lights are up and system is doing well. Inoculated the system with bacteria, carbon, and ammonia and now have a really good bloom and coverage throughout. I checked the fuge and found there is corraline growing throughout the fuge. I will look at start adding the corals from the 20 gallon in the next couple of weeks.

20250427_095843.jpg
 
Trim is up and now ready for final paint. I should have the room painted this weekend, and then hopefully everything is done. Then just waiting on fish and acros. :)

The hole in the wall is for a vent that will go in after the final paint.

20250428_071541.jpg
20250428_071524.jpg
 
What would you all do? When I sold my 500 I moved about 30lbs of live rock to my sump and about 20 or so lbs to a 20 gallon to hold frags. The 30lbs in the sump has been running for a couple of months now and doing well. I just moved my corals over and want to move the 20lbs or so to the new system. The issue is Aiptasia snuck in the 20 gallon and is on the live rock. The live rock is full of life and would hate to toss it.

Should I try and remove the aiptasia and add the rock or not risk it? I am sure Aiptasia will find it's way into my system one day but I would hate to knowingly introduce it. However, I would hate to toss $300 worth of live rock as well........
 
What would you all do? When I sold my 500 I moved about 30lbs of live rock to my sump and about 20 or so lbs to a 20 gallon to hold frags. The 30lbs in the sump has been running for a couple of months now and doing well. I just moved my corals over and want to move the 20lbs or so to the new system. The issue is Aiptasia snuck in the 20 gallon and is on the live rock. The live rock is full of life and would hate to toss it.

Should I try and remove the aiptasia and add the rock or not risk it? I am sure Aiptasia will find it's way into my system one day but I would hate to knowingly introduce it. However, I would hate to toss $300 worth of live rock as well........
It’s a tough call. I believe aiptasia is gonna happen so use the rock. If I was less experienced I would probably not do this. But after 30 years it seems to me that it’s just a matter of time. Good luck.
 
Use it. I reused my rock with Aiptasia and bubble algae. Now both are well controlled with a thriving ecosystem.
 
What would you all do? When I sold my 500 I moved about 30lbs of live rock to my sump and about 20 or so lbs to a 20 gallon to hold frags. The 30lbs in the sump has been running for a couple of months now and doing well. I just moved my corals over and want to move the 20lbs or so to the new system. The issue is Aiptasia snuck in the 20 gallon and is on the live rock. The live rock is full of life and would hate to toss it.

Should I try and remove the aiptasia and add the rock or not risk it? I am sure Aiptasia will find it's way into my system one day but I would hate to knowingly introduce it. However, I would hate to toss $300 worth of live rock as well........
Don’t toss it! I made the mistake of taking out live Aussie rock and spraying it with h202 to kill off bubble algae, did great on the bubble algae but wrecked the biome of the rock. took 6 months to get the rock back to the life it once had on it. Those peppermints that eat aiptaisa do great work. I had 3 that cleaned 99% of aiptaisa off in about 1 week. They ate well over 75 aiptaisa quickly. Was shocked
 
I ended up using mine but threw it in the sump. No issues in the display as I have a CBB and peppermint. The sump on the other hand….
 
How’s the tank

Doing alright. Thank you for checking in. It has been a while and life got in the way. System has been on auto pilot for months which is good for me but isn't the best for the tank. I finally did some water changes for the first time since the system was set up.....

I will post some pictures in a little while when I feel the system is back up to speed.
 
It's been a while. The system is doing well. I'm currently running all LEDs, but I want to switch back to metal halides because I'm just not impressed with the health of my Acros. They are surviving, but not thriving. I picked up three large reflectors around 24x24 inches each so I don't think I'll have room for any supplemental lighting. My 180-gallon tank is 72x24x24. Would you go with three 400W or three 250W bulbs on this tank as the sole lighting source? Also, would you recommend 14K or 20K? I'm planning to go with Aqua Bright Solutions for the bulbs.
 
Ive heard the aquabright 14k (250w) look alot like ushio 14k.

I would probaly go with the 400w bulbs in those big reflectors- make sure it still has punch after being spread that much...
 
Ive heard the aquabright 14k (250w) look alot like ushio 14k.

I would probaly go with the 400w bulbs in those big reflectors- make sure it still has punch after being spread that much...

I made a mistake. The reflectors are actually 16x16 and I could probably add a couple of T5s to the mix.
 
I made a mistake. The reflectors are actually 16x16 and I could probably add a couple of T5s to the mix.
In that case, 16x16 @ 24" with supplement, I think 250 fits the bill better.

How much space is available to adjust fixture height? If they could be about 15-20" above water- 400s are back in play, and would have better coverage..
 
In that case, 16x16 @ 24" with supplement, I think 250 fits the bill better.

How much space is available to adjust fixture height? If they could be about 15-20" above water- 400s are back in play, and would have better coverage..

I can run the fixture atleast 18-20" above water. I also picked up 3 actuators and planned on hooking them to the reflectors so I can move them up and down thoughout the day.

I am leaning towards 400W Radiums again. The growth and color I had in my 500 with the 400W Radium/Blue+ combo was impressive. The 500 was 24" tall as well.

I got rid of all my old halide gear when I sold the 500. I have some test bulbs coming in this week. I will run some tests and see what the PAR is like, etc before purchasing the higher end bulbs.
 
Man, I miss halides! The look is instantly better. These reflectors are PAR machines, too!"

20260524_205735.jpg
Ohh those are lumenbrites!!!(iirc)), same as mine, I wish I could find 1 more... these are the best reflectors/ pendants as far as im concerned
1000145515.jpg


Which bulb/ ballast did you go with?
 
Now I need to find you a 24"x24" for the center, so you can sell me my 3rd fixture, the complete set for my needs.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new