jda's 240g Acropora Rebuild

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some GE 6500k. They look like 6500k and hard to describe to people who have not seen them, sorry, They are daylight to the eye, but can pop some reds and blue. Most people consider them too yellow, but I don't care since they are on fuges and to grow coral. The coral that grows under them get great color, the bulbs just don't show them off very well. I usually buy them a case at at time from somewhere. Most people mix them in with other bulbs. I do like the look at 50% 6500k and 50% true actinic - both of these bulbs give spectrum that most other T5s bulbs do not have, plus what they do.
Ok thanks for info and yeah mixing them tubes in with others makes perfect sense as like 80-90% cheaper or for a fuge etc

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it a point emphasis to find those albums and nobody just finds them in garage sales and stuff. It took some work. :) Stereo was quite rare in 1966 and maybe 1/20th of the total sales and I was lucky enough to find them all in Stereo. The second and third state are easy to find if you want to pay for them. The first state are quite rare and hard to find. I love the story more than the album, which was just a compilation. I bid on the first state in an auction just at the reserve thinking that I could tell stories that I once bid on one and lost it... kinda fun talk at dinner or something. Nobody else bid and I won - the auction was only 24 hours and I think that people though that it was for a longer period. I was amazed and the very well respected global record store honored the bid even though some that forgot to bid offered them 2x and 3x as much to cancel my bid and sell it to them. I have had people want to buy it from me, but I am in my 40s and want to keep it for another 40-50 years... but I don't blame them for trying.

Anyway, vinyl is another passion of mine along with my concert posters. Reef tanks, music and golf (sometimes) when my kids don't need me. If people think that reefing is expensive, they better not get into vinyl... my vinyl records do not grow baby vinyl records that I can sell or trade for others. :)

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick and dirty new wavebox. Finally had a Tunze 6100 go bad and I am out of replacement parts. This new 6105 was too powerful for the old box, so I had to build a larger one. 1" wave. It has been on for a few hours and water is still cloudy from stuff that it is stirring up. I have hated not having one running for the few months that it took me to finally stop being lazy and make this new one.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 8.54.18 PM.png

I have a tunze wavebox and love how it mixes the water, it’s surprising they are not more popular.
Would you share more details regarding the new box?
Dimensions / action photos?
Do you run yours 24/7?
Mine runs 4 hours towards the end of the day only because it’s so loud. Is the new box any quieter?
Thank you.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut 6x12" sheets of 1/4. It is 6.5 by 6 by 12. I have no idea if it is quiet... I have the tank in a family room and do not notice and do not care. I do run it all of the time.

I find wave box to be perhaps the best way to move water in and out of larger colonies. Never had them work well on smaller tanks, but they do on my larger ones.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good.only a few hundred stereo versions left and you have one of them or 3 of them as you obe of each state ( not sure exactly ) but nice one ^_^

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it a point emphasis to find those albums and nobody just finds them in garage sales and stuff. It took some work. :) Stereo was quite rare in 1966 and maybe 1/20th of the total sales and I was lucky enough to find them all in Stereo. The second and third state are easy to find if you want to pay for them. The first state are quite rare and hard to find. I love the story more than the album, which was just a compilation. I bid on the first state in an auction just at the reserve thinking that I could tell stories that I once bid on one and lost it... kinda fun talk at dinner or something. Nobody else bid and I won - the auction was only 24 hours and I think that people though that it was for a longer period. I was amazed and the very well respected global record store honored the bid even though some that forgot to bid offered them 2x and 3x as much to cancel my bid and sell it to them. I have had people want to buy it from me, but I am in my 40s and want to keep it for another 40-50 years... but I don't blame them for trying.

Anyway, vinyl is another passion of mine along with my concert posters. Reef tanks, music and golf (sometimes) when my kids don't need me. If people think that reefing is expensive, they better not get into vinyl... my vinyl records do not grow baby vinyl records that I can sell or trade for others. :)

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it. I've coincidentally been in the midst of my annual Beatles kick where I listen to everything and get obsessive for a few weeks. Today on a long drive i listened for the first time to Lennon's last interview which he gave the day he was murdered. Highly recommend. Also listened to the Love soundtrack for the first time in about 10 years. I'd forgotten how cool it was.
My other obsession is Phish and with it also comes a healthy poster collection. I'm fortunate my wife strongly encourages both hobbies. I wouldn't have gotten the 130gal I just started up if she hadn't insisted.

bibarassa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some GE 6500k. They look like 6500k and hard to describe to people who have not seen them, sorry, They are daylight to the eye, but can pop some reds and blue. Most people consider them too yellow, but I don't care since they are on fuges and to grow coral. The coral that grows under them get great color, the bulbs just don't show them off very well. I usually buy them a case at at time from somewhere. Most people mix them in with other bulbs. I do like the look at 50% 6500k and 50% true actinic - both of these bulbs give spectrum that most other T5s bulbs do not have, plus what they do.
ATI true actinic or better other brand?

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that it matters with true actinic bulbs. I don't know what bulbs are better than ATI, either.

I did both of these Phish posters in African Paduk:
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 5.24.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 5.24.36 PM.png

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I missed this one but now I'm following! How is the DIY wavebox working for you? Love the hoeksemai!

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tunze pump kept coming off of the front from the wave action in the wavebox. I suppose that I could have asked Viktor how they keep their together in their own boxes, but I just ziptied it. Also, quick video of a CSB in a nasty basket with the wave action - I need to get a few dozen more new baskets, but the stores have been out since winter is coming and I have not found a good place online to get them.

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 5.39.36 PM.png

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus day! Cleaned out my garage a bit and found a handful of used Sedra 5000 skimmer pumps, Medusa Dual Stage Temp Controller, a bunch of new MH bulbs and a pair of Tunze 6100.010 pumps. I forgot that I had all of this.

I went searching since I need to finally buy MH bulbs and I forgot if I had any left in my stash. I bought a whole pile of Phoenix 14k bulbs for like $20-25 in 2015 when PEC decided to stop making them and they were on clearance. They got brought back about 6 months later when PEC figured out that the underestimated general lighting in Japan (yes, these are used for general lighting) and reef tank lighting with the bulbs, but I had quite a stash... like a Dunder Mifflin Paper Box full of them at one point. I used a lot of them and donated a bunch to a local aquarium who is happy to take donations. In any case, I finally need to order more but it looks like they are still cheap.

I also found 3x Radium 20k 150w HQI bulbs. I forgot that I had these too. People used to covet these and they are long out of manufacture. If anybody wants them, I am open to trade since I prefer to match the 14k Phoenix in 150w that I have in 250w.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember awhile back you mentioned you have a jaw dropper. Do you still have it? Any pics if you do?

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is grey and has not done anything for years. Disappointing, but to be truthful, the colonies do not interest me as much as the frag does, at least in pictures, which I admit are not always as accurate as in-person. I would still like it to do something... maybe someday. I got a second one on trade just to see and it was dead in the bag. I might have to get another one soon to try now that shipping is OK - I quit for the last year once FedEx was taking 48 hours to get me frags, and to ship them. They seem to be more available, cheaper and easier to trade for nowadays.

I have heard that they do get pretty deep red under MH lighting, so I would like to see, I guess.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who wants a nice hunk of that Frag2Morrow Quazar, so I can probably get a nice encrusted hunk from him to try.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looking super healthy. Following. :)

What media are you using now since we can’t find any good reborn?

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a stash of Reborn still and even some of the older aragonite large ARM. I bought a few 50 lb sacks a few years ago and I still have some. Once it is gone, calcite works fine for me - current ARM larger hunks. The calcite has some traces in it. I am not adverse to using larger crushed coral from the LFS either since this is what we used before larger hunk ARM and then Reborn came along.

I do not like the man-made media since it takes so much more co2 to dissolve. I would use it if I had to, but I don't. :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Really like the wave box. Need to make one for the macro tank, but been trying to figure out how to do it. The tank is only 12” deep with sand in it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back