jda's 240g Acropora Rebuild

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fish likes food from Brine Shrimp Direct? Is it pretty clean?

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No complains. The mysis are not always as larger as other brands, but this is not bad since some fish are smaller.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pleasure to read through this thread. I work in Boulder and live just out of town. Whats your preferred LFS? aquatic arts is a long drive :)

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to Aquatic Art a few times a year. IMO, as good as any store on the coast that people rave about. I don't really go to the LFS too much. I don't lose fish very often and I mostly trade and buy high end acropora, which LFS do not do well. I might buy a few fish once a year, or so... maybe two.

I stop into the two Boulder stores when we I am in town for work, or when we come to eat. Every once in a while I find something in there. I buy a fair amount of used equipment from the stash in back of Exotic Aquatics - I have gotten a couple of used fixtures in there (Giesemann and AquaMedic) with m80 ballasts for super cheap.

The dude in Greeley has some of the best fish and prices.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that an update might be long overdue. However, I am going to step away from this place for a while. Something has happened and I just don't see the point in what is going on here anymore. It could be that the TOS has turned too many into self-importants without enough regard to the hobby or other members. It could also be that this is always what forums have been and I have changed. In any case, although I have probably acted otherwise during points, I have always wanted to be helpful using actual experience to make the hobby better, agree or not, but based in experience - I apologize if I did not do this all of the time.

I might miss it and come back. Who knows. I will still probably PM my friends and maybe even sell some frags, so if anybody has any questions, please PM me. Even though I got an indication of what is going to happen already, I also want to see the final out come to UWC and all of that garbage too.

My apologies for all of the ill thoughts that I had for the truly exceptional and experienced that I learned so much from years ago who have no interest in the forums anymore. I get it now and I was wrong to think such things...

I will surely miss some folks, but big thanks to @Lasse, @Big E, @Randy Holmes-Farley, @therman, @taricha and the few others who are still around.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that an update might be long overdue. However, I am going to step away from this place for a while. Something has happened and I just don't see the point in what is going on here anymore. It could be that the TOS has turned too many into self-importants without enough regard to the hobby or other members. It could also be that this is always what forums have been and I have changed. In any case, although I have probably acted otherwise during points, I have always wanted to be helpful using actual experience to make the hobby better, agree or not, but based in experience - I apologize if I did not do this all of the time.

I might miss it and come back. Who knows. I will still probably PM my friends and maybe even sell some frags, so if anybody has any questions, please PM me. Even though I got an indication of what is going to happen already, I also want to see the final out come to UWC and all of that garbage too.

My apologies for all of the ill thoughts that I had for the truly exceptional and experienced that I learned so much from years ago who have no interest in the forums anymore. I get it now and I was wrong to think such things...

I will surely miss some folks, but big thanks to @Lasse, @Big E, @Randy Holmes-Farley, @therman, @taricha and the few others who are still around.

I get where you are coming from and have felt the same way for awhile, I always appreciate your feedback and have personally learned from you. Thank you!

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I totally hear where your coming from. I’ve always enjoyed your pictures and threads and your thoughts @jda I wish you and your system the best while you are gone.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sucks that the clowns who don’t even run tanks wear “excellence” badges and run the real folks away. Thank you for your contributions to the hobby over all of the years!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda it's all good man. These forums can connect you with some of the best folks, but will also bring out the worst in some. Pop back in anytime - we'll make sure there's always interesting stuff to catch up on. :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear - who am I going to mess with now regarding Halide vs LED? :):):) - and get balls with a screw back:)

Hope you get your forum spirit back - you are needed here on the dark side :)

Sincerely Lasse

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doug, I'm hoping it's just a summer vacation for you.

I know the boards can be frustrating at times. This is the place with the most traffic, and that's personally why I'm here. But with that comes the most bozos. I really feel that most of the readers of those threads got the message. Most users, at least here, are done doing business with UWC. Some retailers are also done with UWC. R2R is also done doing business with them. Thanks for doing what you did there.

Besides that, you'll be missed, especially in lighting and SPS. We hate to lose knowledgeable people.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doug, I'm hoping it's just a summer vacation for you.

I know the boards can be frustrating at times. This is the place with the most traffic, and that's personally why I'm here. But with that comes the most bozos. I really feel that most of the readers of those threads got the message. Most users, at least here, are done doing business with UWC. Some retailers are also done with UWC. R2R is also done doing business with them. Thanks for doing what you did there.

Besides that, you'll be missed, especially in lighting and SPS. We hate to lose knowledgeable people.

Yes don't go. Report those who are causing issues and we'll deal with them. Thanks.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Doug don't let the riffraff get to you. Everyone who has experience in the hobby or a head on their shoulders can see right through the bull crap. Everyone that thinks they know it all ends up not even owning a tank or of they do, it's nothing special. I will take expert level experience over "degrees" any day. Your experience in the hobby is too valuable to not share it.

I hope it is just temporary as I do enjoy all of your posts and responses. You are an asset to these forums.

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JDA...we don't know each other but I thought I would add...I always look forward to reading your posts. I like your direct delivery and your "old school" approach to reefing reminds me a lot of the guys I looked up to back in the 90s and early 2000s when I was more involved in the hobby. I learned a LOT from those guys. Some are still big names in the hobby...and unfortunately many/most no longer participate much in the online forums (for similar reasons).

Of course you have to do whatever is right for you...but just remember that for every frustrating post (and poster)...there are hundreds of silent readers that are looking right past those annoying posts and paying attention to posts like yours. It's that knowledge, passed forward, that is the reason we now have threads about topics like "pest" SPS corals...when we were struggling to keep a lot of this stuff alive 25 years ago.

Back