Jebao DC12000 pump rusting?

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a second used jebao dc12000 return pump to use as a backup and noticed what looks like rust on a few areas of the pump. Is this something to worry about?

outside of pump

image.jpeg

Inside pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look great, but I can't tell where any of it would have come from. Can you?

Is it always the case for these pumps that they look as beat up as that one does? It looks like someone lit into it with an angle grinder and some anger management issues to work out!

I'd pick an AC pump as your backup...eggs in one basket and all that. :) A Mag, QuietOne or Sicce would be first choices, but it depends on your exact setup.

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol the pics may make it look more beat up than it really is. I don't know where the rust is coming from as the screws and inside clip on the rotor shaft thingy are not rusted. I have the same model pump (used) on my tank right now and will have to open it up during my next water change and see if it has any rust. Maybe it's cheap Chinese parts? This really sucks cause I really like these pumps :(

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone have Jebao pumps with rust? Is a little rust really bad for a reef tank?

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OMG I know what it was from now I'm an idiot lol. The previous owner had a metal clamp on the outlet attachement thing and it was rusty but I threw it out when I was soaking the pump a few days ago and forgot about it. That's how it got on the outside of the pump :confused:

What do I do now to get rid of it? I soaked several days in vinegar but it's obviously still on the plastic can I use CLR?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG I know what it was from now I'm an idiot lol. The previous owner had a metal clamp on the outlet attachement thing and it was rusty but I threw it out when I was soaking the pump a few days ago and forgot about it. That's how it got on the outside of the pump :confused:

What do I do now to get rid of it? I soaked several days in vinegar but it's obviously still on the plastic can I use CLR?

Try scraping gently with something like a putty knife at a very low angle. It won't hurt anything if you leave it though...as long as the pump goes together properly.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back