Jedi mind trick monti

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Drs1685

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have numerous corals from you guy and all look fantastic, but there's one I just can't keep happy, the Jedi mind trick monti. A couple weeks after I got it, it lost color, great polyp extension but very pale, I've tried everything to get the color back, seems I just can't keep it happy, been about a month now. Recently i got a great deal on a 2nd one from your eBay auction figured I'd give it a try, again was ok for about 2 weeks and I'm watching it slowly lose its bluish green color no matter where I put it. Do you guys keep it under high/low light, low/high flow, Or maybe any suggestions. I have a seasons greetings monti from you guys that's been doing great no matter where I put it

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got this same problem. I had one before that did great under high light and flow. A tank crash killed it.

I'm on my second REPLACEMENT and can't keep it happy. It's been stn for weeks now. Doesn't matter where I put it. This is twilight zone material! What gives?

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have seen this coral do good under med-high light and low light. Right now in our show tank we have it under low light and low flow and its doing really well, but it would probably be even more colorful under higher light.

Here is some pics of our mother colony I just took tonight so you could see its placement and color. Lights were about to go off so I had to take them under LED with a filter.

fNqVakp.jpg

I6FR8gm.jpg

FppEK0w.jpg

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with mine as well. It lost all its green. Died in areas and portions went from green to all purple, not the fluorescence purple of growth rim. But polyps were out. I moved it to medium high as WWC stated. And recovered all its color and no signs it was ever in bad shape. It was under high when it lost its color. My high about 18" below MH

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with mine as well. It lost all its green. Died in areas and portions went from green to all purple, not the fluorescence purple of growth rim. But polyps were out. I moved it to medium high as WWC stated. And recovered all its color and no signs it was ever in bad shape. It was under high when it lost its color. My high about 18" below MH

Amazing how similar our experience is. Mine has done the exact same thing. I don't know what to do. Once I put it up a little higher off the bottom, it started stn in random places. It stopped once I put it back on the bottom.

Can anyone explain why this is happening? My old one from before the crash didn't care what happened to it.

Could light be too much? I've got a kessil 360we on 40% intensity and 25% color. It ramps up to this and stays for 2 hours before ramping back down.

How long did it take yours to recover?

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been able to keep one happy. Similar experiences. Other similar Montis do just fine...just this one. I've given up on it.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only difference between the last one that I had that did great and these two new ones that aren't is water "quality"

My last tank crashed and killed every single thing aside from soft corals. That tank had been neglected and left to its own before crashing during a move. I used ro water instead of rodi and used the LFS salt water instead of my own. It had bad algae issues as I rarely cleaned it. All corals grew great with great color including a Jedi mind trick.

Now, post crash, I went back to rodi water and make my own salt water using neomarine. I upgraded my diy led light to a kessil 360we and added an mp10 to replace leaking Koralia power heads. Also added a tunze 9002 skimmer.

So, I upgraded my husbandry and equipment and now have horrible luck with my new sps corals. Go figure.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how similar our experience is. Mine has done the exact same thing.

How long did it take yours to recover?

It took a bit of time. Like months to begin getting its green back. I think it takes awhile it get use to higher lighting. I think they are slower to acclimate. I now have it in the top 1/4 of a 24" tank. But it is in the front corner so lighting is not direct. Maybe 400-600 par.

I placed it in med-low lighting to recover. When it was too low the newly green areas were just a drab army green. And the growth rim did not have that glowing purple, just purple. I moved it to med-high and the green is a nice bright green with the bright glowing undata purple growth rim.

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your Alkalinity is on point as these encrusting Montiporas are very sensitive to Alk changes. Also from the sounds of your post your tank could be too clean. Check to see if you have some detectable Nitrates if not your water could possibly be too low nutrient.

Low light is the safer bet but if you can get it to do well in med-high light you will see some amazing coloration. Also color spectrum can play a large roll especially if you are running LEDs only.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your Alkalinity is on point as these encrusting Montiporas are very sensitive to Alk changes. Also from the sounds of your post your tank could be too clean. Check to see if you have some detectable Nitrates if not your water could possibly be too low nutrient.

Low light is the safer bet but if you can get it to do well in med-high light you will see some amazing coloration. Also color spectrum can play a large roll especially if you are running LEDs only.

Alkalinity is around(steady) 10dkh. Nitrates are around 5ppm as I dose potassium nitrate. Phosphates test 0.00 on phosphate Hanna test.

Matt

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to push triton at all :)
That water test will show you more information than you will ever know.
I test every 30 days :)

Oh boy they're $$$

Wish I would have thought about that before buying my Hanna phosphate meter and regents.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back