OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!
I have started looking at lighting. I am really leaning on going back to metal halide. I have found an interesting fixture at a really good price. I have watched several videos and read many reviews. Does anyone have any experience with this fixture? I was looking at buying two of these for a total of 6- 250 W Metal Halides (will probably change the bulbs), 8-80 W T5s, and 16 dual blue moon LEDs. Total delivered price to me is 741.00. That is a really good price. No fancy displays, but appears to be a solid light fixture with available hanging kits.

Odyssea 72" 1070 W Metal Halide System Advance Plus
Fixture Configuration:

• 3x External Quick Connect 250W Electronic HQI Metal Halide Ballast
  • 2x Internal Twin Output T5 Electronic Ballast
  • 4x Power Switch on Fixture (2 for T5, 1 for LED, and 1 for Cooling Fans)
  • 1x Power Switch on each HQI Ballast
  • 4x Power Cord (3 for HQI and 1 for T5)
  • Non-Corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
  • 2x Built In Heavy Duty Cooling Fan
  • Glass Cover for HQI
  • Acrylic Lens for T5
  • Highly Polished Reflector
  • Set of Mounting Leg
3x Odyssea 250W DE HQI Bulb 15000K

4x Odyssea 80W T5 High Output Bulb Actinic Blue

8x Dual Bluemoon LED
MHADV72_2010_400x900.jpg 54269-4T.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great build so far!

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all. OK, so, received new build pics.... They made modifications to the sump and said that with the "all clear front" that after a while it didn't look good so changes have been made and I was receiving the very first Version 1.1. It looks close to being completed. The welding has been finished and the fittings are all installed. I want everyone's opinion on this new look. I think I like it but it surprised me at first. A combination of Version 1 and Version 2. More view then 2 and less view then 1.
Week 5-1.jpg
Week 5-2.jpg
Week 5-3.jpg
Week 5-4.jpg
week 5-5.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Odyssea are dangerous. Some people have reported fires with their fixtures. I had a couple of their t-5 fixtures for my broodstock tanks because they were cheap and one ballast smoked and the rest were dead in less than 2 years.
Giesemann makes a nice halide fixture but it is pricey. Hamilton makes halide fixtures yet. I have no kept up too much on halides lately but t-5 might be a option with Giesemann matrixx or Ati fixture.

I would say nice sump but we kind of already talked about it in another thread. But you know what.. Nice sump!!!!!! :)

Last edited:

Jonathan Dignon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!
I have started looking at lighting. I am really leaning on going back to metal halide. I have found an interesting fixture at a really good price. I have watched several videos and read many reviews. Does anyone have any experience with this fixture? I was looking at buying two of these for a total of 6- 250 W Metal Halides (will probably change the bulbs), 8-80 W T5s, and 16 dual blue moon LEDs. Total delivered price to me is 741.00. That is a really good price. No fancy displays, but appears to be a solid light fixture with available hanging kits.

Odyssea 72" 1070 W Metal Halide System Advance Plus
Fixture Configuration:

• 3x External Quick Connect 250W Electronic HQI Metal Halide Ballast
  • 2x Internal Twin Output T5 Electronic Ballast
  • 4x Power Switch on Fixture (2 for T5, 1 for LED, and 1 for Cooling Fans)
  • 1x Power Switch on each HQI Ballast
  • 4x Power Cord (3 for HQI and 1 for T5)
  • Non-Corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
  • 2x Built In Heavy Duty Cooling Fan
  • Glass Cover for HQI
  • Acrylic Lens for T5
  • Highly Polished Reflector
  • Set of Mounting Leg
3x Odyssea 250W DE HQI Bulb 15000K

4x Odyssea 80W T5 High Output Bulb Actinic Blue

8x Dual Bluemoon LED
MHADV72_2010_400x900.jpg 54269-4T.jpg
I had one of these it ran for many years no problem however I never had any luck finding any good replacement bulbs. The fixture would only work with another bulb from odyssea not a big problem but I wad stuck with the same 15k bulb. I purchased many hqi replacement bulbs but they would never fire up.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic build. For being absent from the hobby for a while, you're still light years ahead of most ;)
Odyssea are dangerous.
I concur. So far your components (less display) are all "Bentley" quality built. Odyssea is a "beater Honda", at best. If you're bent on halides look into Giesemann. T5s, ATI. LED's, Orphek (they will absolutely grow any coral you put under them ;) ).

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the build but I have one thing I would change. I would not use the clear pvc. The extra light in the tube will speed up algae growth in the pipes. Plus in a few months they won't be pretty anyhow. I would do red drains and blue return piping.

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the feed back.
@shred5, I knew the lights were too good to be true and the fact that they won't fire a different bulb is definitely a deal breaker. I just kept thinking, Ok, a light (MH) consists of, bulb, socket, wiring, ballast, capacitor and starter. How could you screw that up? I found out since then, the sockets are plastic, not ceramic (that can't be good), small gauge wiring, the heat sink does not keep the fixture cool enough and the fixture becomes too hot to touch within minutes and the ballasts are extremely cheap and over heat. The coup de grace was when I called to see about the warranty and I told them that I would not be putting these into use for a few months, the actual response was, we suggest you wait until closer to needing them to make your purchase. Now, if the actual company does not have confidence in the fixture.... I just kept thinking that some of the lighting options out there are outrageously priced, but then I just dropped 5 grand on a sump.... so, that's kind of ridiculous thought. So, Metal halide, T5's and moon light LEDs, which ones do you all like?

@rarelyseriousb, On the clear PVC, actually the clear is "food grade" and does not allow the build up of anything on the inside of the walls, but, we think alike. I am going to leave the drains clear but I have decide to change all of the plumbing (except drains) to Red PVC (input) and Blue PVC (output). Not only a whole lot less expensive but should look really cool.

@stunreefer, I will look at those lights today. I just need to suck it up. You are absolutely right, why am I going cheap on the lighting. I think I panicked from the amount I just spent!

OK, I have just been told that my filter will be complete this week ahead of schedule. I have requested final build pics with all of the pumps, plumbing and the skimmer in place before they tear it down for shipping. I'm freaking nervous about the shipping. Stay tuned.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I like T-5 lighting because it is somewhere in the middle but if I had unlimited funds I would go hybrid fixture T-5/led especially on that deep of a tank. T-5 keeps up too 24" deep but after that I think you need a little more. I have seen some tank over 24" deep with t-5 and they do look pretty good. I guess it depends on what you want to keep on the bottom too.

Nothing wrong with halides either they produce the best color in some sps than any other lighting, they just are the least energy efficient. With a big tank though halides become more efficient and the amount of led fixtures you need becomes hard to justify the price of them. The amount of led fixtures becomes to many for that big/deep tank and good led fixtures are not cheap. You can get some good halide fixtures cheaper in the forsale forums.

So honestly I think you have two options: T-5/led hybrid or halide.

Last edited:

DaKraKeN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Radion Pro LED. You won't be sorry..
I'm in the middle of a 300g build myself and have been using them on deep tanks for a while and love them..
Also check out the Vectra pumps..
Your build looks great.

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone.... OK, took a little bit, but here are the final pictures of my sump. They are preparing it for shipping. I think the only things not shown are the water top off tank and the pumps. Pretty much ready to go. I love the final look! We are going on vacation this Friday for Thanksgiving week so it looks like we will ship the week of November 30th. Cannot wait!! Take a look and tell me what you think?
40.jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
44.jpg
45.jpg
46.jpg
47.jpg
48.jpg
49.jpg
50.jpg
040.jpg
041.jpg
042.jpg

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get it
It's a Royal Exclusiv. WWW.Royalexclusiv.net They are all custom built depending upon what you want. I wound up with a one off because they totally discontinued the Version 1 after I ordered mine. Mine is designated Version 1.1. The first and if no one else likes the front panel, maybe the only one of this design. I like being different anyway. One of one.:p

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back