Jelly fish!

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found two little brown jelly fish in my tank. I will post a video tomorrow but I have to go to work. They probably will die by getting sucked u in the filter but its pretty cool. Any tips on keeping them alive??

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, deadly? Im not sure but they are gone now. I dont see um anywhere. It was cool watching my fish interact with them. It was obvious they knew not to mess with them.

harley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was a jelly? That thing was pretty fast for one, I'd guess it was a mysid shrimp or similar.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the sting is related to the size. There are some small (quarter-sized) ones in the Bahamas that have a very mild sting. I swam through a bunch and only felt a tingling on my lip. Larger jellies off of Galveston TX can pack a whollop though. They made my leg feel like it was on fire.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out box jelly fish...about the size of a silver dollar but you won't be around to tell anyone you were stung by it....

As for the video, I am pretty sure they are a a hydroid form of aptasia or mejano anemone...look like jellyfish but not good when they settle into a place....usually found in cheto from infected tanks .... From my experience at least.

I don't think the sting is related to the size. There are some small (quarter-sized) ones in the Bahamas that have a very mild sting. I swam through a bunch and only felt a tingling on my lip. Larger jellies off of Galveston TX can pack a whollop though. They made my leg feel like it was on fire.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video stinks, I was trying to get it with two young boys climbing on my back trying to see the jellyfish. lol. Yep, they were jellyfish, The reason they looked so fast was because of the flow in my tank. They were just getting tossed around by the current.

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to clean the video up as much as I can because you can clearly see the jellyfish swimming in the original. The video I posted looks a lot like its just floating, but it isn't.

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you were right! It looked just like that. It just swam like a jelly. I couldn't find any video on what they look like swimming but I think you got it. So you think they might have laid eggs that may produce some anemone? Also, I did just buy some chaeto algae about a month ago, and I just went from well water to RO water, so the better water quality may have helped them hatch. You say "Infected" like these would be bad to have?
Sorry I didn't clarify, I meant the Hydroid life stage of the anemone... Just a guess still

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can irritate corals, grow to larger numbers rather quickly. I too purchased some chaeto/pods and I also got a crap load of Digitate Hydroids and Aptasia :(

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do? Just remove them whenever you saw them?

If possible yes. On a good note most will perish in our aquariums due to the environment. Don't panic, just be aware and watch how much you feed. They are filter feeders, getting their food from the water column.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back