JF Pink ****** Chalice

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a Pink ****** chalice back in July. When i got it, well lets just say that it didn't live up to the namesake and it's more of a shade of brown. The coral has visibly grown in size but has never really colored up like other specimens. I am thinking this is due the LED light that I had on my tank. I have since upgraded the light to AI Hydra 32's & Reef Brite XHO strips. I installed the new lights a few weeks ago and I am slowly acclimating the corals to the new lights. I would like to know if anyone has been successful in bringing back the coloration in a coral once it has browned out? Am I just being to optimistic or am I wasting my energy and time with this coral? I know the general rule of thumb is not to adjust things just for one coral. I was experiencing other issues where my Zoanthids were extending as if reaching for the light and things just didn't seem to have the right harmony going on. Since in addition of the new lights, I immediately noticed dramatic improvement in my corals over all appearance and health. Now that the new lights have been on a couple weeks now the Zoanthids are really starting to pop in color and they are not reaching like they were before. I definitely believe I made the right decision to upgrade the lights. Please let me know if anyone has been successful.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light matters. Water quality matters, and given these and time brown outs will develop the colors that they are known for (presuming that the frags you have are from the lineage they were sold you as?)

Those are 3 variables, there are probably more but those and stability over time and your corals will pop with the proper care.

OP
OP
G

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light matters. Water quality matters, and given these and time brown outs will develop the colors that they are known for (presuming that the frags you have are from the lineage they were sold you as?)

Those are 3 variables, there are probably more but those and stability over time and your corals will pop with the proper care.
Thank you for your response. I feel a little more optimistic. I will continue to nurture the coral to see what happens with it.

Attachments

• 20230728_194056.jpg
    20230728_194056.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20231121_093455.jpg
    IMG_20231121_093455.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
G

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats not it, thats a pinkalicous chalice!
I had never heard of this coral before. I just did a Google search and I have to agree with it being a pinkalicious chalice. When I decided to start adding corals to my tank. I bought a 10 piece mystery coral pack. The packing slip called it a Jason Fox Pink ******. I thank you for letting me know. Here is an updated photo after being under the good lighting. I think its really coming into its own.

Attachments

• 20231205_093148.jpg
    20231205_093148.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 25

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back