JK1's floating reef

JK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Sunny England

Been a while since I've been here sorry but I'm back with a new build! It's a temporary 5x2 until I get an 8x2.5 built.

I just moved house which came complete with a man cave!

ygsvMb.jpg

I decided to be bold and create a floating scape! Drawing inspiration from builds like mr Kangs' but I didn't want branching rock, I wanted plates. I also wanted to be reef friendly so initially thought Marco rock but learned it wasn't available in plate form. ATM saved the day with their plating pure reef rock. It cost me a fortune, £12:95 per kg with 48kg total and 3 buckets of Marco cement required but I feel it was worth digging deep for.

I know many try a floating scape and fail but I'm very determined!

So, this is the tank in question, picked it up for a bargain but it needed a good face lift.

BvpoR8.jpg

MXq9r9.jpg

She scrubbed up well after a good sanding session and a re-paint - stand and back glass.

DOC9zv.jpg

CEvYsc.jpg

Back to the scape, I posted on a Facebook forum requesting dead playing rock and the UK reps from ATM offered the best solution. I can't believe how good their service was. Craig not only sourced the pieces I wanted from a very basic sketch but he even put it all together in the formation I was aiming for and sent pictures. I gave a little feedback and he took a hammer and chisel to it until it was perfect.

ocIFXZ.jpg

The process was complete in around 2 hours and the rock arrived at 9am the next day! Now that's service!

I laid out the rock as I intended it to go and was pleased with the result

9yLeib.jpg

aL1toT.jpg

ubfCnW.jpg

so started to build it in situ. It didn’t quite go to plan. Luckily, I had pre-empted a scape collapse and had added sand to the tank to protect the glass. I’m so glad I did this. I had watched tutorials on Marco cement on youtube and was told it was dry in 20 mins and fully cured in 24 hours. Foolishly I tested the strength after 30 minutes by removing a supporting brick. The whole scape collapsed! To be fair, I was asking a lot of the cement and I’m sure it would have been fine if I had left it until the following day. Back to square 1 but like I said, I’m very determined. This time I built it out of the tank and laid it on its side. I was struggling to get the cement to stick to the underside when working in situ. This was much better and meant I could cement both the top and bottom in one session.

I crafted the cement to look as seamless as possible. Obviously the cement is visible now due to the colour difference but once matured it should look pretty seamless. This time I allowed it to dry overnight before touching it. As I know I’m upgrading in the near future it was important that the scape could be lifted in and out, thankfully it just fit between the brace bars, lifting it nearly killed me but I go it in there in one piece. I’m really pleased with it, it totally defies gravity and I think it will look awesome once covered in sticks. It’s 1/3 full now, hopefully it will be fully in another day or two so I can add colony and get it filtered and clear stocked. I’m not adding any live rock, I’m relying on colony 100%. I’ll add some copepods and amphipods but it will be a nasty free zone.

TOykOr.jpg

tSH54q.jpg

gsgSn4.jpg

Stock

Coral

So, The plan is for the main scape to be 100% sticks. I like uniformity so I will be grouping them by genus. I’ll have an area for branching montis with will have various encrusting montis planted between. Tabling acros will be positioned at the front as they will be at a height disadvantage, plus they are one of my favourites. Branching acros will be behind and will accounting for the majority. I have 4 different colour hystrix which will go at the back. They grow like crazy so will soon dominate. I have pink, limeberry, dark green (never seen before) & Green with purple tips (again never seen this before). I’ll also have smaller sections of millis & seriatopora. I have collected some awesome SPS over the years including Ice fire echinata, red dragon, strawberry shortcake, setosa, forest fire, branching meteor shower amongst many others. Can’t wait to see them all in situ.

I have 3 nice Welsos, 2 red rainbows and a green rainbow. These will take centre stage on the sand bed.

Both islands will be dominated with Acan lords, scolys and Blastos and surrounded with zoa stones. I like the zoas on individual stones as I find the grow over each other when mounted together and the largest polyps win. Stones allow control.

I want the sand bed to be as clear as possible. I have no idea what I will do with my candy canes and Euphyllias. I may mount them on egg crate and bury the bases under the sand behind one of the islands. I also have to find space for a goni. I may keep them in a frag tank until I upgrade but I’ll have a play around.

Fish

Mandarin pair

Snowflake clown pair

3 yellow tangs

Achilles tang

Gem Tang

Yellow tail Tamarin wrasse pair

I have a regal tang, purple tang and Harlequin tusk fish at the moment but one of them is nipping LPS! I need to work out which one is guilty and get them re-homed in a LPS free tank. I’m hoping it’s not the tusk fish as I really love her! When I upgrade I will add a shoal of something small, most likely Anthias.

Equipment

I’m a die hard T5 fan. I’m running an ATI 8x39W dimmable and a pair of Fiji blue aqua rays for evening / moonlight. When I upgrade I will invest in a pair of 8x39W ATI hybrids so I can have best of both. I run FM balling light, Ozone, external filter with UV feeding a chiller, cheato in the sump, I have a gyre but will be stitching to a pair of MP40 QD because I miss the back and forth motion. I have a BM curve 7 and Eheim return pump. Think that’s everything.

Thanks for reading. I’ll update once the tank is full and the water is clear. All questions welcome.

Spell check is going crazy with my UK spelling lol

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey thats really nice man. This will be an awesome build once completed. How did you stick that shelf to the glass or how it actually floats?

OP
OP
JK1

JK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone

Beautiful aquascape!!! I am actually quite jealous of your man cave setup, that's a perfect fish room, mate. Cheers

Also- "sunny" England ;)

Thank you sir, where in sunny England? I just moved to Bicester

Hey thats really nice man. This will be an awesome build once completed. How did you stick that shelf to the glass or how it actually floats?

Thank you. This is actually the first build I've done where not a single piece of rock touches glass. There is egg crate under the base rock and islands and the main table is an inch away from the back glass so I can clean without accidental frags being made. The main table top just sits on the central base rock and is held with just enough milliput to stop it falling but allowing me to break it away when I have to remove it.

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone

Thank you sir, where in sunny England? I just moved to Bicester

Thank you. This is actually the first build I've done where not a single piece of rock touches glass. There is egg crate under the base rock and islands and the main table is an inch away from the back glass so I can clean without accidental frags being made. The main table top just sits on the central base rock and is held with just enough milliput to stop it falling but allowing me to break it away when I have to remove it.

I'm actually State Side. I have several friends across the pond but I've never heard them refer to England as "Sunny" just thought that tid bit was funny

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Loving this already!

OP
OP
JK1

JK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually State Side. I have several friends across the pond but I've never heard them refer to England as "Sunny" just thought that tid bit was funny

Ahhh, sorry, its was a mix of sarcasm and optimism. England is very sunny. Sometimes as often as 4 days a year :)

Looks awesome! I really like the scape too. Can't wait to see it all filled out.

Thank you, nor me. I'm about 15 hours away from being full.

Loving this already!

Thanks, I'm very excited :)

Super sharp!

Thank you :)

This is gonna be sweet.

Thanks, I hope it lives up to expectations:)

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 hours from being full? Wow, can't wait to see pics. Are these all colonies you will be transferring from your other tank? I look forward to it![emoji3]

OP
OP
JK1

JK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 hours from being full? Wow, can't wait to see pics. Are these all colonies you will be transferring from your other tank? I look forward to it![emoji3]

I have transferred a lot of SPS now, but mostly frags. I wanted to give them a few days before I risk my colonies. The water has cleared nicely, the stock I've moved across are not the finest examples of what is to come. If all goes well I'll transfer the rest in a few days.

OP
OP
JK1

JK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the pics!?!?
here :) Was not able to get laptop time yesterday.

So, all my fish are now in.

Achilles
Regal
Purple
3x Yellow
Harlequin Tust
2x Mandarins
2x Snowflake clowns
Cleaner wrasse

Still have a lot of coral to find space for. Have about 15 large SPS colonies and lots of small acan frags to move in. Will do the acans tonight and hopefully the SPS tomorrow. Then I'll probably need a month to mount everything in the right place. I think I'm going to chop up my larger acan colonies. I think they will look cool all crammed in as smaller frags giving a better mix of colour.

I'm not that happy with the light, the colour of the coral is really flat, it may be because it has cheap bulbs at the moment and I'm used to my ATI. Think I'll get an 8x54W ATI hybrid soon, then I'll get another when the 8ft is built. I'm also going to get a pair of MP40W QD's soon. I like the gyre but push push just doesn't satisfy my needs. The push pull of reef crest is mesmerising. I don't actually have any corals that move though yet lol.

So, here is the latest shot. It's still a mess, everything is just placed not mounted but every day sees a little improvement. I'll get my DSLR out once everything is in.

yVUl8S.jpg

hNym5r.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
here :) Was not able to get laptop time yesterday.

So, all my fish are now in.

Achilles
Regal
Purple
3x Yellow
Harlequin Tust
2x Mandarins
2x Snowflake clowns
Cleaner wrasse

Still have a lot of coral to find space for. Have about 15 large SPS colonies and lots of small acan frags to move in. Will do the acans tonight and hopefully the SPS tomorrow. Then I'll probably need a month to mount everything in the right place. I think I'm going to chop up my larger acan colonies. I think they will look cool all crammed in as smaller frags giving a better mix of colour.

I'm not that happy with the light, the colour of the coral is really flat, it may be because it has cheap bulbs at the moment and I'm used to my ATI. Think I'll get an 8x54W ATI hybrid soon, then I'll get another when the 8ft is built. I'm also going to get a pair of MP40W QD's soon. I like the gyre but push push just doesn't satisfy my needs. The push pull of reef crest is mesmerising. I don't actually have any corals that move though yet lol.

So, here is the latest shot. It's still a mess, everything is just placed not mounted but every day sees a little improvement. I'll get my DSLR out once everything is in.

yVUl8S.jpg

hNym5r.jpg

Well that escalated quickly! HA! Looking good man!

OP
OP
JK1

JK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that escalated quickly! HA! Looking good man!

Yeah, forced hand. Just wait for tomorrow's update . I'll be bringing my SPS colonies over. The ones I have seem happy :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back