JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They defiantly look better i now have both channels at 100%
Also only the STYLOPHORA and spongedous made it. The others were just to battered and bruised from the rough shipping. They were in many pieces.
I'm still happy that some of it made it. I think if you were to put another bag inside the bag with water and blow it up it would protect it some how or enough water to keep the sides from pushing in. Then lots of peanuts around each bag. Of course it would have to be a bigger box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured an up date was due.

I changed out the impeller to the bigger one making my return pump a super dart instead of a snapper.
Snapper on left.
image.jpg

This takes it from 2600gph to 4300gph. Of course there is head and friction loss as well I run a reactor and skimmer off of it too. I battled the loud over flows by installing a ball valve on each return line. I should have went with gate valves as Todd had mentioned as the ball valves are very hard to fine tune.
image.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Notice a difference?

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot more flow now. Should have used that impeller from the start but thought it would be to much. It's not. I think I old hate it if I didn't have valves on the drain lines. It would be so noisy without them. I like it for sure. Even though my overflows are rated at 600gph each they will do much more than that they would just be noisy. So far so good. I turned down my jebao 40's because I don't want a dust bowel of sand in tank.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more coral. Need more money. Still hard to tell what my coral looks like. Wish Ipad had eyeball quality video. Than YouTube compresses the video and you get poopy video

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did a dumb thing apparently I didn't have my skimmer tuned right. I was supposed to have it running 200gph through it and was only running 150 gph. That's 1200 gpd I was lacking for proper skimming. I know that I just increased the flow of my return pump with swapping out the impeller but I don't think it was even right before that. I'm already getting better skim mate from increasing the flow. It must have not been able to make enough foam to push it out before. So anyways make sure to have the flow through your skimmer correct duh!

Was getting some algae so this must have been the issue.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo updates of some of my corals. No photoshop straight from my galaxy phone. Under led lighting duh! If you have read my thread you would know this. LOL
Wrath of grapes
image.jpg

Baby blue stag
image.jpg

SPS some name can't remember
image.jpg

Blue green ORA STYLOPHORA from Todd (TJ's Reef) R2R gaining color as it was at the bottom of a large colony not getting a tun of light.
image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spongodes Montipora from Todd
image.jpg

Pink zoa's purchased from your reef
image.jpg

Candy apple zoa's from LFS coral connection Sarasota, FL.
image.jpg

Thin branching frog spawn with a couple clown fish hanging out. They don't hang out in my anemone's for some reason but love the FS.
image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS red planet
image.jpg

LTA it could swallow your whole face lol.
image.jpg

Green bubble tip BTA
image.jpg

Nighttime pictures of purple passion favia in full effect feeding tenticals all out
image.jpg

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pictorial update Joe, corals are really starting to shine now.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are the grapes if I had took a picture from the side you can see how wide it started getting hard to se from front.

STYLOPHORA is picking up some color too. Looking better than when you sent it??? Todd?

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making a change to my skimmer. I don't change my wooden air stones nearly as often as I need to and that's a pain to change. I have plenty of pump pressure left as my valve to the skimmer is less than a quarter open and running at 200 gph. I did upgrade to the super dart impeller so good to go.

Well anyways I am converting my counter current air pump driven to a Venturi design similar to the life reef skimmers. I will take out the air manifold out of the bottom of the skimmer. I will install a DIY jet style Venturi into the input of the skimmer and run the tub down to the bottom. Should work very well with little to no maintenance. Also my power usage will go down. I will see a wattage increase in the return pump but far less than being consumed by the SL-65 luft pump and the cooling fan keeping it cool.

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What!........You leave something alone..... I don't think so my friend..... you may even be worse than I am at being idle....lol

Cheers, Todd

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back