JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say your skimmer is 56" tall? Years and years ago I had one custom made (cuz that's the only way you got them then) 60" for a 300g tank that was powered by a wood airstone. I'm wonding if it is the same type of skimmer. Curious on the concept itself as far as how they rate for tank size.... I thought my old one worked pretty good

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say your skimmer is 56" tall? Years and years ago I had one custom made (cuz that's the only way you got them then) 60" for a 300g tank that was powered by a wood airstone. I'm wonding if it is the same type of skimmer. Curious on the concept itself as far as how they rate for tank size.... I thought my old one worked pretty good

I originally built my skimmer as a counter current skimmer. It has 8 wooden air stones. It worked pretty well. It would have worked even better if I had changed the air stones as often as I should.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I have to play with the down tube. So far so good. I'm currently playing with the bubble neck. I adjust and wait. As much as I want to tinker with it I will wait until tomorrow to me's with it again.
image.jpg

It works. I also ran the intake to the exterior of the home. Hoping that the PH will stay up. So far it's rising but like it does through out the day. I'm hoping it will stay more stable now. I think most of all I'm making at least as much foam as I was and less power usage.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm serius about the diy write up Joe. I love the idea and I bet others will too ;)
Maybe. Okay I guess so. I think I want to make a new one thats 36" tall. It would be easier to do a complete DIY.

Are you in the market for a skimmer for your new build Jackie. I plan to build one similar to life reef skimmers.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point I will be, yes. My RO NW150 will be a little small for the 180 but for now it will work out. My bio load isn't very high ATM. It takes a week to fill up the cup. I skim meduim-dry lol.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point I will be, yes. My RO NW150 will be a little small for the 180 but for now it will work out. My bio load isn't very high ATM. It takes a week to fill up the cup. I skim meduim-dry lol.

When your ready I will help you build one or build one for you we can work it out.

I may build the new one tomorrow and make a DIY for forum.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I like what I have. Now this is some nice foam. Skimmer working nice so far. Nice and sticky. That's a 10" lid it's on
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post some pictures of your whole skimmer setup? I'm really intrigued. Also interested in the diy vid. Thanks and nice job!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working great. I plan on changing the bottom of the internal down tube to three 45 degree fittings so to reduce friction. I'm using a 90 with a 90 street currently and if I switch to 45's it will smooth out the flow. I also plan to take the ball valve off the end of the return line and mount it to the side of the skimmer for water height adjustment. I will take pictures off everything when I have it all opened up tomorrow.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back