JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what Im Going to do now maybe I'll leave it alone. If anything thinking of plumbing a tube to the outside to bring up PH in tank.

That's what I did Joe and it works great for me. You will need a 12" x 3/8" concrete drill bit and drill slow. I used power grab to seal around the 1/4" airline tubing, covered it on the outside with an angled elbow with a piece of window screen zip-tied on the end to keep bugs and spiders out of the line. The other end went into the air intake of the skimmer. My ph today was 8.3 ;)

Jackie

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Todd my brain is always going about the tank. Just trying to get it running the best. I'm not sure what I want to do. It does work now. I do need to at least Change out the air stones, need to Ty and find some longer than the ones I have. From everything I have read the counter skimmer is the most efficient skimmer if maintained and air stones changed. I think that if I go ozone than it will be perfect. I may make the Venturi nozzle and test it out some time, definitely before I possibly modify the skimmer.

On another note I did remove my filter socks from rotation because I have a little algae growing and started vitamin C dosing just a little bit. Hoping the skimmer can pull more out and the filter sock was getting slimmed up with bacterial slime. I know the filter sock traps stuff the skimmer can take out and it can also trap nutrients in it and release them into the water. I will only use them when I stir up some dust or something.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I did Joe and it works great for me. You will need a 12" x 3/8" concrete drill bit and drill slow. I used power grab to seal around the 1/4" airline tubing, covered it on the outside with an angled elbow with a piece of window screen zip-tied on the end to keep bugs and spiders out of the line. The other end went into the air intake of the skimmer. My ph today was 8.3 ;)

Jackie

I happen to be a contractor so I have all the tools. I'm not sure where I'm going to run it too yet but it will go outside. Lol
The extra o2 outside does definitely helps the PH.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure helped mine, it stays around 8.3 on average. The only time it really drops is if the protein skimmer is not running for a while

Jackie

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad day for me. Today. I was cleaning in the tank and noticed that my fish count was off. I was. Missing a female clown fish. I found her down on the tile all dried out. Pore thing. Must of happened last night or something. I have had them for years. One jumps into the over flow sometimes but is always saved later. Never seen the female do this. Going to have to get some of that clear screen that BRS sells to cover the tank. I want more fish not less.
Here is the sad photo of my fish.

image.jpg

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You jinxed yourself bud, she must of overheard you talking to me yesterday about maybe adding some more Clownfish so she unknowingly jumped over to your side of the glass to give you a piece of her mind. Seriously though, always a bummer to lose any fish/livestock that we care for.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested it but no change. I have a air pump running my skimmer so it pushes and pulls air out of its port at the same time. If it only sucked than it would have worked. I still plan to build a Venturi so when I do get it running good I will pull air from outside.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stats from today
1.025 current
PH 8.33
Temp 78.5
Nitrate 0.00ppm
Phosphate 0.11ppm
Ca 475ppm
Alk 4.45 meq/L
KH 12.5 dKH
Mg 1455

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share I nice experience my wife and I had today. I have been looking for a member on here that was local to me. Well I found a couple named David and Stacey. They invited my wife and I over to stop by to check out there reef tanks. We talked tanks and such and also got to check out some clown breeding. They have been doing a great job with the clown fish and looks like they will be some great people to get some nice fish from. I have to say it was nice to meet a local member and it was very nice for them to welcome us into their home and to meet the family. Hopefully I can meet some more locals.

Thanks again

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:rockon:
So I did it everyone I did It.
I made a Venturi and tested it out.
I used a 3/4x1/2x3/4 T slip thread slip, 3/4 to 1/2 reducer slip thread. Two plastic 1/2" barbs. Some schedule 20 3/4" pipe, 1/2" vinyl tubing.
Cost little over ten bucks.

Take the 3/4 to 1/2" reducer slip and trim down knobs so it can slip in back words.
image.jpg

Trim one notch off the tip of the plastic barb. Then insert half way. Wait a second I'm not doing a tutorial am I?
Well anyways here's some pictures.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

image.jpg

So all and all it works. I installed it into my skimmer. It is making some nice dense foam. May have to play with the length of tube inside skimmer. The ones I have seen are only about 36" high and mine is around the 54" mark. As soon as I turned off the air pump running the old air stones and the fan cooling the pump I dropped 1amp on my apex. I should see a increase in PH especially after I plumb the intake to the outside of the home.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back