John's Fluval Evo 13.5

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bloodsucker zoas were growing into the Scrambled Eggs, so I just snipped off one polyp for now. Even though I had to cut it in the middle of the stem, it was open a few hours later and looked like was going to live so I stuck it on a rock with some LPS. After 24 hours, it looked completely happy. Amazing!
That is amazing and it does look open and happy!! Keep us posted, never would of thought that cutting a polyp like that would survive! Corals are amazing creatures!!
I just bought a $25 set of lenses for taking reef tank photos with a cell phone
Which one? I’m looking for a lens.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is amazing and it does look open and happy!! Keep us posted, never would of thought that cutting a polyp like that would survive! Corals are amazing creatures!!

Which one? I’m looking for a lens.
The zoa polyp is still fine. I decided to cut off one more and that one is fine too. It's amazing the way some things survive. Here is the lens kit I bought:

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here are the two polyps glued to the rock with an LPS. They have been there for a couple of days now.

1628522782632.png

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what I found hiding on one of my paly frags. A cool looking little sponge. I decided to remove it since it was starting to irritate them.

(In case you are wondering, the green dot is a bit of bubble algae and that's sand on the polyps, not zoa pox.)

1628739160084.png

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your evo! This is mine. Had it running since December and it’s now August. Time passes by fast
Thanks! The side is going to look great with the GSP on it. Are you going to let it cover the entire thing?

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s stunning! I love the zoas and toadstool. What’s that flow mechanic up there? I need better distribution
Thanks! It's just the stock pump with random flow generators on the outlets. Good flow around the sinularia and toadstool. Slower around the zoas and Ricordea.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new algae scraper and between the thinner glass on my tank and a strong magnet, the thing would hardly move. I had to add over half an inch of felt sheets to get it to work properly. It looks sort of amusing now.

1628784328641.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Vibrant for about two weeks to combat some bubble algae and all of the corals have been fine, but some of my Ricordea have suddenly lost their color. These two used to be bright orange. The bubble algae is not completely gone, but I guess I need to stop using it now. Water changes are in order over the next few days. Hopefully they will survive.

1628786988580.png

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I didn't know vibrant makes bubble algae die. Why don't you get an emerald crab?
Unfortunately, quite a few people have reported that some emerald crabs will eat zoas. I have seen videos of them ripping a colony apart. My 3-4 polyp frags wouldn't last long with with that going on.

What I want to know is why someone would sit and watch it eat their zoa colony just to make a video!

Last edited:
Back