Joining 2 Acrylic Sumps via Bulkhead

Olbensen

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2025
Messages
53
Reaction score
37
Location
Black Mountain
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5087.jpeg
Goal is to merge two 30g sumps together using a pair of three inch bulkheads. I’d love to have the tanks sandwiched together like I have illustrated in my drawing. Is this possible? In researching I’ve only really seen a bulkhead in each tank with a connecting PVC pipe. I assume I’d have to add an additional gasket to the nut side.

If this is not doable, you got any other suggestions?
 
I’d buy a couple extra gaskets.. if you put one on the bulkhead, between the sumps and the nut side it should be fine in my opinion… idk if the one in between the sumps is necessary but it would add a extra leak protection benefit.
 
IMG_5087.jpeg
Goal is to merge two 30g sumps together using a pair of three inch bulkheads. I’d love to have the tanks sandwiched together like I have illustrated in my drawing. Is this possible? In researching I’ve only really seen a bulkhead in each tank with a connecting PVC pipe. I assume I’d have to add an additional gasket to the nut side.

If this is not doable, you got any other suggestions?
Gaskets on the inside wont stop any seeping through the threads of the bulkheads. Placing a single gasket sandwiched between the two sumps should be all that is needed. The seeping through threads wont be an issue since it can only go from sump to sump and not sump to floor. :)
 
I did this in the 90's and you need 2 bulkheads, one on each tank conected by a short tube. 2" bulkhead is more than enough.
You should be able to keep it less than 3" apart.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new